Your Current Sheaffer HOLY GRAIL

Guest PeteWK

What Sheaffer Does Your Heart Currently Desire?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What Sheaffer Does Your Heart Currently Desire?

• Hard Rubber Autograph
    • The Perfect Flat Top
    • The Perfect Balance
    • Early Hard Rubber
    • 1st Year Crest Masterpiece
    • 1st Year Crest
    • Balance Demonstrator
    • Snorkel Demonstrator
    • PFM Demonstrator
    • PFM Autograph
    • PFM New In Box
    • Honor Masterpiece Gold or Platinum
    • Early Blue Flat Top
    • Nostalgia
    • Targa Masterpiece
    • Imperial Masterpiece
    • Tuckaway Masterpiece
    • Early 14k Overlay
    • Snorkel with that Rare Nib
    • Other?

A number of the pens on this list have at one time or another been on my "Current Holy Grail" list only to be found. What pen is currently on your list? What did I forget? (Remember that I can only put 20 items on a Poll)

Maybe you could share an interesting story about how you found your heart's desire? Pictures encouraged.

PeteWK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• bernardo

• Dennis B

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snorkel with a Triumph flexible stub or music nib. I'm relatively easy to please... ;)

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I want many... Pygmys (just like Roger's), perfect Flat Tops and Ring Tops... Orange Snorkels...

I'd love to hear acquisition stories too. :)

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

What would someone like me be looking for in Sheaffer? I have about 550 Sheaffers so it's gotta be something special. I'd love a 1912. This is the first imprint shown in David N's archives (vintagepens.com). There were 35,000 made according to the testimony and they all worked great according to Walter. I think they we failing miserably (the single bar was failing) in the first year and Sheaffer bought back as many as they could find. I know of two and I suspect there are a few more. So I voted early hard rubber. In that vein a mottled #8 would be pretty cool, too.

An all metal balance would be good - Daniel has posted pics of his on occasion.

The Fiesta Red snorkel in valiant/statesman would be good.

There's my top four. I have a few of the other pens listed on the list that I care to have. You can usually find better examples of ones you do have. I think the Secretary should have been listed - very desirable piece. The Sheaffer cat deskbase is very sought after as well as far as a Sheaffer piece goes.

Best poll I've seen in a while.

Roger W.

I chose a NIB PFM, but really any nearly perfect PFM III with a medium nib would be fine :)

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I'd love one of each of these, thanks!

But for today, I chose a PFM Autograph, and I'd prefer with an OB nib. I'd really like to find it blank and find a master engraver to put my signature on the band... B)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

solid 14k gold Triumph nibbed Masterpiece, circa '45 lever filler

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

So I voted early hard rubber. In that vein a mottled #8 would be pretty cool, too.

Hey Roger. I was at Fred's today and noticed he has a Sheaffer Mottled HR in his "not for sale" display. I can upload a pick of it after I cruise by there sometime soon if you're interested.

PeteWK

to be honest there are many pens in the list that I don't have (well most really) so I would gladly acquire many of them...

if I had to pick right *now* though it would be either a large gray or green striated late 30s Balance with a semi-flex nib in piston/vac filling system, or failing that a sage green snorkel with a fat, wet medium triumph nib preferably PdAg.

mint or NOS is cool, but I almost prefer to find pens in VG to EX so that I can write with them without feeling guilty, it's hard to think of a pen as your "grail" if it isn't flawless....maybe it's best to leave those pens that are just out of reach to the true collectors (since museums don't want 'em)?

mint or NOS is cool, but I almost prefer to find pens in VG to EX so that I can write with them without feeling guilty, it's hard to think of a pen as your "grail" if it isn't flawless....maybe it's best to leave those pens that are just out of reach to the true collectors (since museums don't want 'em)?

I know what you mean, David. I've inked more than a couple new old stock pens in my time but I still have a couple that will never see the light of ink. Don't be afraid of the inner struggle. Every User/Collector goes through that from time to time.

I can't tell you how much I'd like to ink and carry my 29 Jade Balance Senior. The temptation simply got to be too much with my gold filled Snorkel so I sold it on eBay. I just hate the fact that some pens lose 100 bucks when they're inked.

PeteWK

A long time ago, I recall seeing an Ebay auction for a "Sheaffer desk set" with terrier dog on its base (this was probably when I thought $50 was a lot to pay for a pen :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) . I don't know/recall if it was a true Sheaffer product or an unlabelled desk set with a Sheaffer pen in it, but I've been looking for another once since then.... I don't suppose if anyone knows if Sheaffer had desk sets with dogs on them?

Edited by Maja

Maja;

German Shepards and Pointers in figures. Terrier in enamel. Those are all that I can think of in the 1928-40's range.

Roger W.

Oooh, thank you so much for the quick anwer, Roger! Much appreciated !! :D

I am easier to pleased.

For me I dream of the next Snorkel with a color I dont own yet (and there are few of them)But the biggest holly grail would be a SOLID GOLD Snorkel.

Respect to all

PeteWK;

Mottled's are so hard to find.  I've a little #2.  Sure I'd love to see a pic.

Roger W.

Hello All,

My sad mottled Sheaffer story:

I have a friend who's in grad school, so he often has time to make the rounds of the local flea markets, auctions, etc. He knows I collect fountain pens, and he knows I have a special interest in Sheaffers. (And he typically has a very good eye for a worthwhile item.) We've made an informal agreement: if he spots an interesting Sheaffer that isn't too expensive, he buys it for me and I reimburse him.

One day he called me to say that he had "passed" on a flea-market lot of three pens - two no-names and one Sheaffer. The seller wanted $30, and that seemed a little high to him.

I asked: "Out of curiosity, what did the Sheaffer look like?"

His answer: "Black and red."

Ah, I thought, a Carmine stripe. "Was it striped - and streamlined?"

"Oh, no. It had a flat top, with a little ring, and it was marbled black and red."

I think he was genuinely upset when he saw how mortified I was. He checked back several times, but that seller never reappeared.

We have since revised the terms of our agreement.

So it goes. :(

Jon