noodler's luxury blue

petra

This ink has good flow and I appreciate it's waterfast qualities. I don't like blue inks in general, but that's a personal preference. This color looks washed out to me. My name for it would be "FADED DENIM." It produces some nib creep. I only use this ink for addressing enevelopes because of its permanent quality. But I know there are a lot of "Blues" folks out there, so I thought I'd post an image as long as my pen is loaded up.

Petra

The pen used in the samples below is Pelikan 400 B nib; the paper is Richard Binder notepad.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e361/psoesemann/noodlerluxblue2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e361/psoesemann/luxbluecloseup.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fjf

• Jeff Muscato

• Goodwhiskers

• HDoug

hmmm... in the scans I posted, I'm noticing that the color appears brighter, darker and less gray than it looks in person (at least on my monitor...)

It definitely has a kind of vintage faded quality. It might appear darker coming out of a less wet and finer nib...

Petra

Luxury Blue is a strange ink. Although I realize that the appearance of an ink will vary from pen to pen, Lux Blue is the most extreme of the inks that I've used. The first example is by a Pell 605 with a .5mm Binder cursive italic, and the second with a Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/LuxuryBlue.jpg

Luxury Blue is a strange ink. Although I realize that the appearance of an ink will vary from pen to pen, Lux Blue is the most extreme of the inks that I've used. The first example is by a Pell 605 with a .5mm Binder cursive italic, and the second with a Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib.

I've had the same issue with Quink Blue-Black. It comes out what I consider to be decent from my wet medium Sonnet, while it is a faded blue from my Ellipse, which is a fine nib that writes between dry and wet. You wouldn't even recognize it as a blue-black from the latter pen.

-Bruce

This one is too chalky, but you can mix it with other blue inks and get a nicer blue. I mix it (50/50) with a mix of Waterman Florida blue and south seas blue (50/50). You get a nice dark turquoise and retain some waterproofness.

I've seen similar results with Noodler's Legal Lapis [pendemonium exclusive]. In most of my pens it's a green-blue ink. In my Parker Sonnet, it was definitely blue. Weird.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I can agree with the review of Luxury Blue. When compared to several other inks in the same pen, the flow was much wetter. Definitely produced some mild nib creep as mentioned also.

As for the color itself, it has nice shading in my experience but it is somewhat light/chalky/faded as others have described.

I like it, but I wouldn't say I love it. I also have some Waterman's Florida Blue so I'll have to give mixing a try. There are some cautions about mixing that I'll have to find that IIRC, relate to Noodler's "bulletproof" inks.

• 4 months later...

wish I'd seen this before I ordered a bottle! I thought it was diluted but I've since refilled and it is really faded, using my Frontier.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

My luxury blue looks exactly like Petra's scan in all the pens I've tried it in so far (Parker Vector, Lamy Al-Star, Laban Othello and Visconti Van Gogh). I am not wild about the color itself, but I like it for mixing with blacks and greens to create slate and oceanic shades.

Has anyone compared Luxury Blue with Legal Lapis? Are they the same color?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Has anyone compared Luxury Blue with Legal Lapis? Are they the same color?

Yup. Here's one with Pasternak thrown in:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/pasternyiet.jpg

Doug

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone compaired it to Legal Blue from ArtBrown

I, too, would be interested in the answer to this question. What would really be nice would be a side by side comparison of Luxury Blue, Legal Blue, and Legal Lapis.

Also, has anyone tried mixing the Luxury Blue with Noodlers Black to get a true (non-greenish) blue-black bulletproof ink?

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Also, has anyone tried mixing the Luxury Blue with Noodlers Black to get a true (non-greenish) blue-black bulletproof ink?

Yes, I did. I had a small sample of Luxury Blue from the Pear Tree Pen Co. sampler program. I didn't like it very well at all by itself. In fact I unloaded the pen back into the vial. To do something with it, I mixed it with a small amount of Noodlers' Black. I estimate the volume of black was about 1/7 the volume of blue, but it could be between 1/10 and 1/5, I didn't have much to work with .

It was totally waterproof, and I liked the color much better than Luxury Blue alone. I used the cartridge full for signing checks and other things. I at least recommend it as a way to use up Luxury Blue you already have. Since Lux. Blue is rather expensive, I'm not sure I like the mixture enough to buy a bottle just to mix. It was about as dark as Waterman Blue-Black, but a "truer" blue obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a great deal of nib creep with Luxury Blue, no matter which pen I use. I leave one pen at the office with Luxury Blue for signing checks, but thats all I'll use it for.

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered 2 bottles of Noodlers Luxury Blue and 1 bottle of Bulletproof Black, this will be the first time I have used Noodlers ink, so will be interested to see if it's as good as people say. My friend has Luxury Blue and thinks its great.

Kind regards

NIGEL

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

• 2 months later...

Yes, I did. I had a small sample of Luxury Blue from the Pear Tree Pen Co. sampler program. I didn't like it very well at all by itself. In fact I unloaded the pen back into the vial. To do something with it, I mixed it with a small amount of Noodlers' Black. I estimate the volume of black was about 1/7 the volume of blue, but it could be between 1/10 and 1/5, I didn't have much to work with .

It was totally waterproof, and I liked the color much better than Luxury Blue alone. I used the cartridge full for signing checks and other things. I at least recommend it as a way to use up Luxury Blue you already have. Since Lux. Blue is rather expensive, I'm not sure I like the mixture enough to buy a bottle just to mix. It was about as dark as Waterman Blue-Black, but a "truer" blue obviously.

I love Noodler's Old Manhattan black and I don't think I'd like Luxury Blue on its own, but I just ordered some Luxury Blue and Noodler's standard bulletproof black to try mixing them. I'd love to get a rich, dark blue like Pantone's Reflex Blue. I don't know that I'd use it always but I'd like to at least have it available.

I like the idea of a "faded denim" blue. Is the color closer to the dark blue or the light blue in the FPN logo?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.--Groucho Marx

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.--President Obama's Chief of Staff