MontBlanc 149 75th Anniversary Special Edition

Bryan

Montblanc 149 75th Anniversary Special Addition

Length: 5 ¾ inches capped, 5 ¼ inches uncapped, 6 ½ inches posted

Weight: 1.2oz capped, .7oz uncapped (Weighed while full of ink)

Materials Used: Gold plated trim, diamond, black resin, 18 gold/platinum mask nib

*** Of note, the “Special Edition” is not the “Limited Edition” and is not numbered as such***

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Montblanc149017.jpg

In celebration of it’s 75th anniversary of the Meisterstuck line, MontBlanc produced a Special Addition line of pens. I purchased this particular pen in 2000 and have used it at least twice a week since then. This was my first “big purchase” in the fountain pen realm. To be completely honest, the prestige of MontBlanc and my employment in the judicial arena with MontBlanc toting attorneys and Judges is what drove me to this purchase. Montblanc is probably about the only recognizable high end writing instrument manufacturer known in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Here, it’s the brand of choice in the legal field. So, now having confessed of giving into peer pressure and the need to fit in…on with my review. (Wow, that felt great to get off my chest!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Montblanc149003.jpg

When the 149 arrived in the mail, I gently lifted it from the silk, soft pillow and held it under a close by lamp. Beautiful, more a piece of jewelry then a pen. The glossy, deep black resin of the cap and barrel drew me closer. I read the gold plated band at the top of the cap, “75 Years of Passion and Soul”. Set in the “o” of passion, centered above the clip, was a diamond. A small, but very nice detail. Next I unscrewed the cap and had my first look at the nib of a 149. It was huge! The nib has a platinum mask and is engraved with the 75 anniversary logo. After my look over of the pen, I placed it back down on the pillow, and shut the lid. I loved the pen, but after seeing and holding it, I was afraid to use it. Besides my car and computer, it was the single most expensive item I had ever purchased, more then my newly acquired palm! I didn’t ink the 149 for several days. I even thought about returning it. Then after showing it to my father, he told me it would be a shame not to use it and insured me that I deserved to have such a nice pen. Well, that was all I needed to hear. I went into my bedroom and pulled out a bottle of MontBlanc blue-black and inked the pen for the first time. The 149 was also my first piston filler, and the whole process of filling the ink chamber was thrilling. The nib on paper was fantastic, the smoothest writing experience I had ever had up to that point. I went through the entire supply of ink in one sitting, writing page after page with the wet broad nib. I fell in love.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Montblanc149010.jpg

I have continued to keep the 149 full of ink, though I no longer care for MB Blue/Black. Writing has always been skip free and very smooth. Awhile back, I sent the 149 off for a regrind to a cursive italic. Pendemonium did a great job and writing is even more enjoyable. At first I posted the cap. The cap is not heavy and the pen remained balanced. I have since stopped posting, mainly to protect the barrels finish. Uncapped, the pen still fits very comfortable in my hand. My hands are on the larger side and I believe that those with small hands would find the girth of the grip section to big. If given a choice, I would synch the grip section in just a tad. For such a large pen, the weight is very manageable and I’ve had no problems writing for extended periods of time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Montblanc149019.jpg

About 2 months ago, I snapped the piston filler. I’m not quite sure what happened, though I did notice it was getting a little tight. I sent if off to MontBlanc for repair. I was worried it would cost an arm and a leg for the repair work since I did not purchase it from a “Authorized Retailer”. Two weeks later I received the 149 back in the mail and under the charges it stated, “Good Will”. I was extremely happy and appreciative of MontBlanc’s willingness to stand behind their product.

In conclusion, though I did make this purchase to “fit in”; I do not regret this decision at all. The 149 has been a fun pen, it’s a great performer and I still find myself captured by it's beauty. I have owned 3 other Montblancs, but none have caught my attention like the 149, and were later sold on eBay. I’ve often wondered why MB is so often bashed on message boards. My experience has been a pleasant one, the 149 will forever stay in my collection.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• wimg

• KCkc

• georges zaslavsky

Thanks for sharing this review. I'd love to see your own pics of the pen.

I think the thing about MBs is that many people feel that the new materials and pens aren't up to the standards of the vintage models. It is nice to hear that your experience has been such a positive one.

So, what ink are you using now?

Hi Bryan,

Nice review indeed, thanks!

I am also interested in seeing your own pics, and a close-up shot of the nib has to be included as well, of course :D.

The problem with MBs was that one of their smaller models ended up having very thin barrel walls, which resulted in more cracks than people were used too. No such problems with the 149s, though.

Oh, and yes, what ink do you use nowadays?

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

So, what ink are you using now?

After the MB Blue Black, I used PR Gray Flannel for quite some time. Recently, I have filled it with Noodlers Aircorp Blue Black, a very nice color. I once filled it with PR Orange Crush, but this color didn't fit the pens character at all. I've mainly stuck with more conservative color with this pen. I'm not quite sure why other then the pens looks seems to demand it? :blink:

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks! Great pictures! And you included a nib shot :D. And of course a typical Dutch flower or two... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Bryan,

Thanks! Great pictures! And you included a nib shot :D. And of course a typical Dutch flower or two... :D

Warm regards, Wim

I thought you'd like the tulips. Now is it true that tulip bulbs could actually be used as cash in earlier times in Europe? I read something about that, but never researched it to know if it was true.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Now is it true that tulip bulbs could actually be used as cash in earlier times in Europe? I read something about that, but never researched it to know if it was true.
Well, could be I think. At the end of the "Golden Age" (17th century) in Holland you could, probably. It was a bit like the Internet hype. They were new, everybody wanted them, there was enough money around, and they were quite rare, at first. So prices went through the roof. Next, the prices collapsed, and that was it. Many people lost a LOT of money. And of course, at the end of WWII, people eat them (not good).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

My own pictures have now been added.

Bryan

:o Great pictures to go with a wonderful, very personal review of a classic pen!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your MB with all of us, Bryan. You have great taste in pens :) I have two Montblancs--a glossy black Noblesse Oblige that my in-laws gave me and a 121 (I think) with an uber-smooth broad nib, which is probably the best nib in my pen collection.

My own pictures have now been added.

Bryan

:o Great pictures to go with a wonderful, very personal review of a classic pen!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your MB with all of us, Bryan. You have great taste in pens :)...

Very kind of you. Thanks!

Bryan

• 8 months later...

Great review, Bryan - very well done. Somehow I missed it the first time around (it was the first week I joined). Your pics are excellent.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi,

I really liked my own Montblanc. :)

The 149 is quite a good pen. It is a shame that my hands were too small...

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

What a beautiful pen! I hope to eventually find a Chopin 145 MB for a price less than a months salary!!

Congrats!!

Handlebar

What a beautiful pen! I hope to eventually find a Chopin 145 MB for a price less than a months salary!!

Congrats!!

Handlebar

try pengallery.com, they have this discontinued Chopin model.

• 4 years later...

Wow, it's has been so long since I've posted on the board again...My how things and people have change...

I still just adore this pen in every why...I'm very pleased it's still posted.

149s are like rolex datejutsts, once you bought one you want another one

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I must admit to becoming very attached to mine. I thought about owning a 149 for at least 20 years. I'm not sure what held me back, perhaps the concern that others might think it so outrageously ostentatious.

When in fact it is outrageously fabulous. I can see another 149 in my future.

And everything else looks the wrong size afterwards.

I must admit to becoming very attached to mine. I thought about owning a 149 for at least 20 years. I'm not sure what held me back, perhaps the concern that others might think it so outrageously ostentatious.

When in fact it is outrageously fabulous. I can see another 149 in my future.

And everything else looks the wrong size afterwards.

149's are outstanding.

And scarily the more you know, the more models there are of them to peruse or purchase!

It is very difficult to stop at one- I'm on 3 and ready to go some more!!

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Thank you for sharing. I have a 149 with a Broad nib that is my main journaling instrument. I acquired it in a second chance offer from someone after it was refused by someone else, and it has become one of my most treasured writers.

This model 149 is what I need to complete my 75th Anniversary collection, but it is going to be a while before I can invest in one.

Your review causes me to want one all the more!

Peace

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!