Choose the best two writers

goodguy

I was wondering what would you choose in the next situation.

If you were sent from work to 1 week of study which involves allot of writing.

Which pen you would choose ?

1.From your own collection.

2.Any pen you want money is not a factor (but remember you must write with this pen allot for a whole week).

I would put in my calculation ink capacity, nib performantce, confort in your hand, reliability.

Respect to all

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nihontochicken

• wspohn

• HesNot

• goodguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since the conditions of the challenge include a lot of writing...

• I'd choose this double-jewel Parker "51":

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/51_cedar_sterling.jpg

This pen is as reliable as the sunset. (I can't promise tomorrow's sunrise, but the sun is out today, and it's ineluctably going to set.) The pen's attractive to look at, and its size, weight, and balance are perfect in my hand. Anyone who has had the opportunity to use it will agree that its writing is as smooth and free as a fingertip on a glass sheet covered with Vacumatic lubricant. Ink capacity isn't huge, but it's big enough.

• See above.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

My experience is so narrow ...

but I think if Money Were No Object, I'd be after either a medium or large OMAS 360 with a nib that lays down about a 0.6mm line. I'd have to try them and find out. Or possibly a fine PFM-III. I'd have to try it and find out.

Just don't know, though, not really.

and I'd load it with FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown.

I'd choose this double-jewel Parker "51"

Oh, man, THAT'S gonna push up the prices another good 10%!!! Truth is, 51s are SUCK-O! Ugly and don't work worth a damn. Trust me! Would I lie to you? :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Nihonto Chicken

I cannot imagine going away for a week of study with only one pen. I almost always have at least three pens with me even if I'd only going to the neighborhood market. :unsure:

I'f I were packing for a week of study, I would take one of my Pelikan 200s. If I could take a second pen, I'd include a vintage Sheaffer Balance. I never travel without ink wrapped in bubble wrap and ziplocked into a bag. For a week away, I'd stick with a basic and safe ink like vintage Skrip blue black.

Mary Plante

nihonto - I like your style (anything to try to dissuade new and market shifting buyers is a good thing). Of course Richard has probably fixed, repaired, bought or sold more "51"s than I am likely to even see in a lifetime ... but I agree that his insistence on flaunting his cedar blue double jool "51" can grow weary ... ;)

Anyway - I would not roll the dice on a new pen regardless of the model or reputation, if I have to write a lot I'm sticking with a known quantity and for me it is my not minty, slightly dinged, user grade "51" flighter that is rock solid reliable, lays down a consistent fine/medium line with just the right amount of wetness, and does so with a very smooth and unobtrusive nib. Add to that the overall balance and weight which call out for extended writing sessions and, well, that is all I can or would ask for in a pen.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

nihonto - I like your style (anything to try to dissuade new and market shifting buyers is a good thing).

A little too transparent, eh? Gotta try harder next time! :lol:

... but I agree that his insistence on flaunting his cedar blue double jool "51" can grow weary ... wink.gif

... I'm sticking with a known quantity and for me it is my not minty, slightly dinged, user grade "51" flighter ...

Hmmmmm, appears that the pot is calling the kettle black here. :ltcapd: Yeah, Richard has his blue double jewel, you have your Flighter, and I have ... a few beater greys. <_< Despite my assimilation, initially reluctant, but by now nonetheless complete, I have yet to make much rank in the Borg. But I am studying "The Art of the Bid" by one Grizzy, and hope to someday lay some 51 flash on the board. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. - "jool" = "jewel" + "drool" ??? :drool:

Nihonto Chicken

Hi,

My workhorse is a pelikan m400. I would prefer if it was a little bigger hence, I would recommend a pelikan m600 as a workhorse. Piston with good ink capacity. Smooth nib, confortable, not too heavy.

Second pen, I would recommend a danitrio densho eyedrop filler. extra large ink capacity ( I don't have one, it's on my wish list).

Cheers.

Claude

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

If only two pens, one would be a Parker 51, for all the reasons Richard gave. As a counterpoint, the other would have to be one of my vintage Mont Blancs, with a flexible oblique nib. Comfortable, warm, and wonderful writers!

Dan

I cannot imagine going away for a week of study with only one pen. I almost always have at least three pens with me even if I'd only going to the neighborhood market. :unsure:

I agree - a week's worth of writing calls for more than one pen. If your hand starts to cramp, it helps to have pens of different sizes. I'd take my large Romet Asia, my smaller Duke Sapphire, and my new "Danny Rabbit."

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

54 pages into my "wild hair" project, I think I might say my Mottishaw flexible fine Namiki Falcon. We're getting very comfortable together.

But I would be tempted by my Athens if it wasn't being coddled for eventual sale.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

My choice would be a Pelikan with a medium nib

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

Mine would either be my Pelikan 400 NN with a fine semi-flex nib or my Pelikan m800 with fine nib. Both are perfectly reliable and still exciting to use.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

My choices would be

1. My Pelikan 605 because I do use it for several hours of writing every week and it performs well and is comfortable.

2. Maybe a Lamy 2000. It performs as well as the 600 but it feels cooler (temperature) in my hand and the different shaped section would give my fingers a rest when I switch pens.

Ben

I really don't have to imagine this situation - it's the one I'm in. In an average week I write and sketch between 50 and 100 pages of A4 design notes. And I have gravitated to using just two pens - a Densho 80-90% of the time, and a Triumph Snorkel TM the rest, mostly so I have a second ink colour.

Sometimes I write far more than this - and I've never come close to getting cramp writing with either pen.

I'm lucky in that the two pens I have handled which I consider to have the best nibs also have two of the most comfortably shaped bodies. I like the 51 body a lot too, and the very slightly slimmer Hero 100, but I find their nibs a lacking in the feedback I need to keep me happy and handwriting tolerable... I wonder if there is something Richard could do about this?

Of the pen's I haven't tried, I'd most like to try a Murex.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

No problems deciding for me...

A Sheaffer Snorkel with a fine Triumph nib and a Parker 51 with a fine nib. Both extremely comfortable pens that never fail to write beautifully and have smooth nibs that are a joy to use.

Hi kisshing

Regarding your question about a MB 149.

Yes it is very smooth and nicly wet but the nib is firm like all the other German nibs.

If you like firm nibs this is the perfect pen for you.

Respect to all

I can't promise tomorrow's sunrise, but the sun is out today, and it's ineluctably going to set.

Ah Richard.

I stand (well, OK, sit) in admiration of your prose style. I am accused of fulsome prolixity (actually, anyone that knew what that meant would probably not object and anyone that did comment on my style would almost certainly choose baser language) when it is really my poetic nature that prompts me to use more descriptive language than others would (we lawyers get that a lot).

Just wanted you to know that your little grace-note didn't go unoticed.... ;)

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html