Parker Profile (Parker IM in the US)

london

I'd seen this pen on the Parker website, and quite liked the look of it. I'm not normally a new pen king of guy - prefering vintage offerings - but I wanted a readily available cartridge filler for travelling and meetings at work. Its predecessor, the Vector, also never appealed to me. But for the sake of £10 I thought I would give it a try.

And, I've been pleasantly surprised. I've made a few other comments on this pen in other postings, but thought I'd pool them together here for reference.

I've been using this one at work for about two months now.

2006 Parker Profile in black

Launched in 2006 this Parker is known as the Profile in the UK and the IM in the US. It is also sometimes referred to as the Vector MkII.

Appearance

I like the appearance of the Profile. It is quite a simple design, but this gives it a little understated elegance for what is only a £10 pen. It is manufactured from black plastic, chromed to the top of the cap/clip and what I guess is brushed steel to the section and barrel end. On the Parker website the plastic looks almost enamel like. In reality this is not so and is a dull but seemingly sturdy plastic.

The clip design is bold and quite fun, lever sprung, so it pulls out mechanically and always returns solidly without fear of bending it. There is a plastic 'jewel' to the cap top.

Filling

The Profile has the standard Parker system of either their own cartridges or the supplied slide filler.

Feel

This is a reasonably comfortable pen to use. When posted it is a tad top heavy, but I barely notice this now. The section is brushed steel and also quite comfortable. I tend to hold mine a little further up than most, so my fingers and thumb are resting on the point where the section meets the barrel. This is actually very comfortable and gives me something to grip.

The cap didn't fit too well to start, but after a few cappings and uncappings it now caps with an assured and solid click.

Nib

This one has a medim nib in steel (I'm not sure Parker provide alternatives), and it is surprisingly good. Filled with Parker Quink Black catridge it works just fine. Smooth and solid - not a nail - but not that much give either and wet. Liking the overall design, I will be very interested to see whether Parker adopt the same pen design for their calligraphy pen.

Dimensions

Capped 135mm (5 5/16 inches)

Posted 160mm (6 1/4 inches)

Summary

An excellent buy for £10.

- Mark

post-34-1160644346_thumb.jpg

Edited by london

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• london

• kissing

• yoyology

• lisa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a fan of the original Vector, but haven't been able to buy the Vector II yet.

If the nib is significantly different/better than the original Vector, I will be quite interested.

From looking at photos, I'm impressed with the aesthetic upgrade to the pen. It adds a subjective "aerodynamic" modern look to it.

That is a nice writing sample you posted.

oh yeah, I'm positive that Parker offers different nib sizes for it such as Fines and Broads (and even Italics?). Usually there will be a 28day period after you purchase the pen in which you can get a free nib size exchange, otherwise you can just buy a new nib from them.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the Vector II in the future when I get my hands on one

:lol:

ps: I'm wondering whether the nib sections on the new Vector is interchangeable with the old Vector (and thus Rialto's and 88s)?

Edited by kissing

Thanks for the review and the attached picture. You've got nice handwriting. :)

If that's a medium line of modern parker pens then what's everybody going on about it being too broad for a medium? It looks finer than the waterman medium and everyone here seems to like them? This place is confusing. :huh:

I've just checked the line it produces against Richard's nib chart...

(Richard Binder's nib width chart)

And, I would say the nib writes pretty close close to medium (0.024"). Though maybe a fraction broader. I would agree with Kissing though in that it is probably troo broad for those with small handwriting. The pen is also fairly new so the line width will increase with use. I guess also the line width will vary from pen to pen due to manufacturing tolerances.

I believe the nib is pretty much the same as that on a Vector (but I do not have one to try it against - maybe I'll pop and get one at lunch). Its just the section design that has changed.

- Mark

From that chart it looks like my waterman kultur has an XXF nib, No wonder it is so scratchy. The waterman M is about the same as on that chart. and the F too (except for the kultur).

Does anyone know if these messurement are alike with Pelikan pens?

Thanks for a great review. Do you know what barrel colors/styles are available? I know that the rollerball Vector came out in a lot of odd designs (camouflage, world maps, etc.) and I'm curious whether there is a range of choices for the Profile/IM.

Professional librarian and yo-yo expert

Thanks!

That site didn't work properly in Firefox. It showed up without scrollbars. And why can't they just make a list of the color choices with names, instead of having you click on each one? And the one you haven't chosen is washed out, so you can't compare colors side-by-side. Stupid web designers. :angry:

Professional librarian and yo-yo expert

Thanks!

That site didn't work properly in Firefox.  It showed up without scrollbars.  And why can't they just make a list of the color choices with names, instead of having you click on each one?  And the one you haven't chosen is washed out, so you can't compare colors side-by-side.  Stupid web designers. :angry:

:lol:

Yeah, the colour comparison thing bugged me too! And is it just my monitor, or does the "Amaranth Purple" not look very purple? :unsure: It look more wine-coloured (ie. claret) to me, on my monitor......

Ilmost forgot to say "thank you" for the excellent review, London! :blush:

I hadn't heard of this model or seen it in the stores yet, so I will have to see if the official Parker dealer in my area (that is listed on the Parker website) has it in stock. It's nice to see affordable fountain pens that write well still being made :)

Addendum.....nibs available from Parker.

I've just had an email back from Parker (I'd enquired about different nibs available).

They say the Profile/IM is available with a fine or medium nib. (and to confirm Kissings post....) If you want to change the nib, post it back to them with a letter, and they'll exchange it free of charge, as long as the pen is less than 28 days old. They made no mention of other grades, and didn't say whether the calligrahy pen would change design to.

I've also bought the 3 in 1 today as I wanted a pencil in the same design. I think its a bit chunky to be comfortable, but I do admire the simple mechanism. There is no twisting, buttons to press or switches to move to change bewteen each mode. You simply turn the pen round in your had until the appropriate icon is showing, then press the button on top to use. That is, hold the pen with 0.7 facing you, press the top button and you have a pencil. Turn the whole pen around until pda is facing you, and again as if by magic the stylus appears.

- Mark

• 3 months later...

has anyone found these in the US?

I'd love to try one out, but not at the prices I'd have to pay to get one from the UK.

I'm a big fan of the Reflex, but not the Vector (too thin for my hands).

I've been using the IM ballpoint for three months now. Haven't seen the RB or FP in stores yet. Thanks for the review.

The ballpoint isn't advertised on the website but it is shown in the new TV Ad Parker has on their website. The BP has a Sonnet clip.

Great pen. Pretty solid. Made in China. Mine are black laque and silver. The BP refills are chintzy as they are made in China. Insert a UK Parker refill or a gel and your on your way. Yeah I know it's a ballpoint but it's a good one:)

My thoughts. Can't wait to try the FP when it becomes available in Canada. Funny the IM BP package says imported in Canada for Sanford - not North America? Hmmm

l8ter. Enjoy the IM FP.

rowdy

Thanks for reviev. Pen looks nice. BTW, I've new it as Vector XXL (or am I mistaen?). I've seen it in shop, its slightly bigger than Vector I, so I might bought it, but I'll wait till its going to be availiable in flighter finish.

Edited by bartosz.gadomski

There are small lies, big lies and there is statistics.

Its a nicer looking pen than the Vector but still the same nib which I am not a great fan of - the Frontier nib is better. I find the Vector far too slim for my hands - just bought another Inflection and the width of this is just right - excellent nib on these pens,

• 1 month later...

Hi... I'm a somewhat new fountain pen enthusiast and a long-time Parker Pens fan. I live in the US, where the Profile/IM fountain pen is not available. My current fountain pens include a new Parker Sonnet and a Parker Jotter fountain pen (from years ago; just unburied it). I have rediscovered the joy of writing with fountain pens, so I wanted to purchase a fairly inexpensive, decent fountain pen (I can't afford more than one Sonnet at the moment) and start using them in my daily work.

I ordered and received four Profile fountain pens from an on-line vendor based in the UK. I prefer a fine nib; the vendor only sells it with a medium nib. After testing one pen, I realized that I would also prefer these to have fine nibs (despite that preference, the Profile is an awesome pen for the price... accounting for number of pens, shipping, and exchange rate, I paid about $18 US).

At any rate, since I live on the other side of the "pond," I tried to contact Parker-UK for this service (Parker-USA does not support the pen because it is not sold here). I wrote both last week Thursday and twice today (taking into account the time difference), but I haven't heard from them yet. Is their response really that slow? Should I just send the pens with a request to swap the medium nibs with fine nibs? I don't want to miss the opportunity to get the nibs swapped out before the 28-day period is up that london mentions.

There certainly seems to be some interest in the IM fountain pen. To request that they bring them to the US market, I recommend calling, writing, or e-mailing Parker-USA . I've already notified them that I'm interested in purchasing the pen here, so now I'm trying to get the word out. I'm a little disappointed that the company shows this pen on its Web site, but doesn't market it here. I think that Parker has a great opportunity to fill a niche in the states... and to reintroduce the joy of writing.

-Brian, fountain pen enthusiast

• 2 months later...

I just got mine yesterday sent from London and have been using it. Some initial thoughts:

1. Worth the money for a good starter pen - decent construction. I paid $15 including shipping.

2. My medium nib is quite wet using PR Midnight Blues. Was a little less wet with a blue Parker Quink cartridge. Smooth and even writing. Nothing remarkable, of course. Seems quite similar to the Vector nibs.

3. Mine is in a grey plastic which I can't decide if I like or not. Like the Vector, black is probably the safest color to get. The grey has a little marbled swirl to it.

4. Clip is excellent. Cap posts well. The whole look of the section and the nib is sleeker and sexier than the Vector.

5. Comfortable weight for extended writing.

I'd recommend this even more if it were in black and a fine nib. But ink choice can probably make it a little less wet.

Edited by J English Smith

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

• 3 weeks later...

Tested the I.M. for a while and it was a disappointment. The m-nib fitted on the one I used seems to have a sort of 'blind spot' when used in a certain corner. This seems to be also a problem for the newer 45 models. The nib also doesn't work properly on some sorts writing paper. The nib is smooth but skippy. Also noticed that the plastic used on the I.M. is very thin and the metal parts around the nib are scratched easily. This is not really a pen that will last for a long time. Yes, the I.M. looks nicer than the Vector and is cheap. However I really can't recommend it. When it must be a lower end Parker: for less money a Jotter (flighter) can be had. The Jotter (flighter) is a small but in my opinion much better fp.

Glad I saw this resurrected post! I didn't know about the Parker IM.

I'm a sucker for that Parker-style clip - I've got a couple of Parker 75s (ballpoint & pencil) I bought as a kid at a church sale that have sentimental value, but I don't want to shell out the big dollars just to have a vintage Parker 51 FP in my collection. The IM should do the trick for me. Looks like KingPen of Dallas, TX has them so I ordered a black one for just $10.50 plus less than $6 shipping.

( EDIT: well, heck, I was sure that was a fountain pen but today I checked my order and see it's a rollerball. Oh well! )

Edited by Zapped

- Jim in Austin, TX

(2) Waterman Phileas, black F, blue M | Retro 51 Tornado, silver F | (2) Sensa Meridian, black F, silver F |

(2) Lamy Safari, black F, white F | several Pilot Varsity

• 3 months later...

Addendum. One year on.

Earlier this year, I decided I would use one bottle of ink at work until I'd used it all. It ran out last week, and I decided to rotate my pens at the same time - I normally keep two with me.

I pulled out the Parker Profile, gave it a good flush and put it in my pen pouch. This morning I filled it up and started writing. About an hour later, I suddenly realised I have well inked fingers.

Having checked that I had filled and cleaned it properly etc, it appears that it has developed a leak! Its coming from where the metal shroud over the section screws onto the barrel. What a dissapointment.

Oh dear.

- Mark

Edited by london