Mont Blanc Starwalker

Dawn

The Starwalker is the only Mont Blanc pen that I own, I was lucky enough to receive it for my birthday. In terms of styling I really like the design of the pen as it moves away from the traditional black Mont Blanc style. It looks modern yet classic and stylish.

It is a well constructed pen and it feels solid and of good quality. It is made of black resin and has platinum trim. The threads are all metal and it screws together securely. The section is also metal. When using the pen unposted it is light and comfortable to use, in my opinion it feels a little top heavy when using posted, but then I don’t like to use any of my pens posted.

My pen has a medium nib and writes smoothly, the nib has just a bit of give to it. It is not an overly wet writer but it is by no means dry. I like the styling of the nib it is chunky and solid looking. The nib is 14K and has the usual Mont Blanc logo.

The cap is a screw on type and also screws on to the end of the body for secure posting when writing.

The only thing that disappoints me about this pen is that it is a cartridge filler; this is due to the slim size of the pen which is about the same size as a 144 or Generations model. Mont Blanc say that it does not take a converter as the body is too slim to take one and I don’t have one to try so I will take their word for it. I will refill the cartridge myself when it’s empty.

My conclusion is……

I like this pen very much :)9 it will be in my regular rotation. I do feel that the brand is overpriced in comparison to other brands of similar quality but I am glad that I have this pen its lovely and is a wonderful gift which writes beautifully and looks good. I am really going to enjoy using it and it has already received some complimentary comments at work.

Dawn

Edit - photo from World Lux as I didnt have one

post-34-1159321015_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dawn

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawn

• kubalai

• Chris

• marnixmoed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review.

I really like its clean lines and look forward to test driving one.

I was thinking that having at least one cartridge filler would

be advantageous in situations where opening a bottle to refill one's

pen would be inappropriate.

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

Very nice! I'm glad you let us know how you liked it.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Hi guys

Yes I agree Jeen it makes sense to have a cartridge filler for those times that I run out of ink, I have popped a box of cartridges in the pocket of my pen case so I am ready to go. The only think I dont like about cartridges is the ongoing cost for relatively small amounts of ink it seems like a waste of money, but I have to agree they do have a place in the pen world.

I will certainly check out the Targa convertor, thanks for that Meanwhile.

Cheers

Dawn

This may be a silly question ... and thank you for a nice review ...

but even though the Starwalker is a cartridge-only pen, is there anyone who makes a convertor that would fit this pen?

If there is, I will get one (free from Eurostar!), but otherwise I might not because I'm not keen on cartrige pens, not least because I have som much invested in bottles of ink :lol:

Chris

Hey Chris

I will do some convertor testing and when I find one that fits I will let you know.

If the pen is free I would get it anyway, even if your not keen on cartridges!

Dawn

Thanks Dawn, that is very kind.

Actually, you are right. I could get some wine with my points, but a free MB has to be the best value.

And I can always refil the cartridges with real ink right?

Chris

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review.

I am considering buying a mont blanc FP for my dad as a present.

I want to know whether the resin or the rubber+metal one is better (i.e. more durable) Am undecided on look and feel.

I've also heard whispers about lack of durability of the precious resin of modern mont blancs in general (sorry to add a negative note here). Can anyone speak to those from experience? Read in one of the posts on this site that it shatters.

Before plunking down $$$ to buy this pen, and a really special present for dad, I want t o be sure it's worth it, and will live long.

Which is the most reasonable priced place to buy them from in the US? Live in the DC area. ebay seems risky, and the physical stores charge list price.

Thanks!

It makes far more sense to me to refill your cartridge with a syringe rather than fooling with converters. Your cost is no more than bottled ink. I'm medical and can get all the straight needles and syringes I want--but I think I've seen syringes for sale at some of the dealers. I've been doing it for literally 35 years and continue to. You should feel lucky that you can carry extra cartridges with you should you need them; it's much easier than hauling bottled ink. Also, you can see when you need a refill ahead of time!

When I need to clean my Starwalker, I use the convertor for a 70s-era Montblanc Classic (which later was renamed Generations). It works well for that, but is too long to fit into the pen itself. :doh:

Love the pen -- bought it for myself during a Caribbean cruise in January and have used it pretty much ever since.

jdw

Hi,

I think that that little converter Tryphon has should fit. Nice pen you have there. I tested on at the boutique, but it was to fat for my hand. :(

It was a nice concept though. I would be getting the 145 and 114 instead though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 3 months later...

I hope that I'm not committing a breach of forum etiquette by replying to an older review, but after my recent experience with Mont Blanc Starwalkers I'd like to contribute an opposing viewpoint.

I recently received a Starwalker with medium nib as a gift. The ink flow was irregular, producing blotchy lettering, and much wider than I would have expected, given that their nibs go all the way up to extra-broad, and this was only a medium. So I exchanged it for a Starwalker with a fine nib (as suggested by the dealer; they could not exchange only the nib, so the entire pen was returned and replaced).

The (first) fine nib pen was worse than the one with medium nib. The line produced was thicker, not thinner, and there were more blobs and blotches produced. The ink feed also cut out periodically, especially on downstrokes, so speedy writing was out of the question. This pen was exchanged, and a third Starwalker (the second with a fine nib) was sent to me. This third Starwalker exhibited exactly the same problems as the first two. The line was about the same as that produced with the medium nib, it was irregular and blotchy, the ink feed cut out rather often, and it was prone to producing ink droplets on the top of the nib which would then slip down and mark the page.

I'm not one of the (apparently numerous) anti-Mont-Blanc legion. My first good pen, and the only one I would willingly use for the last twenty-two years, was a Mont Blanc Meisterstück ballpoint. When it died in a tragic accident involving my clumsiness and a tile floor, I didn't even consider another brand, both because of the good reputation Mont Blanc enjoys and the sentimental value. So this is not a rant against Mont Blanc from someone with an agenda, nor is it intended as an absolute refutation of Dawn's review. I hope that my bad experience with the pen is unique.

The majority of Mont Blanc pens may well be every bit as good as the one Dawn received, and I hope this is the case. But anyone considering purchasing one should be aware that the quality of Mont Blanc pens is not always as excellent as their reputation leads one to expect, and if one is unlucky the pen may be of very poor quality indeed.

Dawn:

Check this: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...6fsoo%3D1&fgtp= (the German cartridges and they are Schneider).

I find them very decent for the price. I've been buying from this lady a while from now. It's true I never leave inked pens for more than 2 wks: this ink has never clogged my pens and it dries fast. They are not too saturated but leave a nice uniform line that also photocopies well . I'm very well satisfied with them , only that in terms of color they are very limited. lticaptd.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I like the textured section. It has a machined beauty and a practical use. I wish some company would produce a fountain pen with a section and the barrel with a similar texture to make holding them a lot more fixed and secure. The only company that I have seen still producing something like this is Nakaya with their stone finish. The old Parker 75 had a section that kind of molded to the way you held a pen and you can also dial it to zero in to your sweet spot of the nib each time you pick up the pen.

• 7 months later...

Just purchased the Starwalker last week. It doesn't start unless I turn the nib over and then skips more then a playground ful of kids in a skipping competition. Its going back to the shop to get fixed/exchanged/ refunded.

Shame as I really like the style, and already have the ballpoint with the rollerball next on the list.

I really hope it can get resolved.

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

• 2 months later...

Well, went to the MB shop, they ground the Nib as the salperson didi say 'that it isn't a EF in my opinoin'. Came back with finer lines but very scratchy. Hadit ground down in the shop was a lot better, BUT not very smooth and blotchy. My Cross Century FP with a fine nib is miles better, as is my Cross Solo XF. Seems pricew and 'brand' doesn't guarantee quality after all.

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

• 3 weeks later...
Well, went to the MB shop, they ground the Nib as the salperson didi say 'that it isn't a EF in my opinoin'. Came back with finer lines but very scratchy. Hadit ground down in the shop was a lot better, BUT not very smooth and blotchy. My Cross Century FP with a fine nib is miles better, as is my Cross Solo XF. Seems pricew and 'brand' doesn't guarantee quality after all.

i wasnt into the Starwalker series initially, but that time i wasnt into fountain pens too..

got this Starwalker in Extra Fine nib as a Xmas present from my mom and I must say though the nib is not as fine as i hope, it writes really well and is very smooth. I am currently using the blue black catridges that came with it.. and no complaints at all :)