Parker 25

arvadajames

This is a fountain pen that I have went from being very disappointed in to really liking. How? Let me tell you the story. I purchased a bottle of Noodler’s Firefly to use for highlighting. (Even though I am almost 50, I am in Seminary working on a Masters Degree in my spare time, so I have lots of uses for a highlighter). The pen came with a 1.3 cursive italic nib, so I thought it would be great for a highlighter. Wrong! Too thin. So, I put some regular ink in it and attempted to write. Dry and scratchy! I thought what a lousy pen. And, too bad, because it is a great looking pen, in my opinion. Brushed aluminum, and I love the tapered rear end that the cap slip over when posted.

So, next step, load the pen back with Firefly and use the pen as an under liner. Works great, except; (1) I really prefer to highlight rather than underline, and (2) I discovered the Pilot Parallel Pen. Now, I don’t need the 25 as a highlighter or under liner. So, I load it with Private Reserve Copper Burst and start using it again. I noticed two things have happened; (1) this ink is a lot wetter and smoother than the first one I tried, and (2) I think I am starting to get use to the cursive italic nib (I am a newbie and this was my first non-medium nib fp).

Conclusion. The 25 with a cursive italic nib is not smooth, not by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a very nice looking pen, and I am starting to enjoy having some variation in my fountain pen usage. It is not my favorite pen by a long shot, but it is now in my top 5.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lisadan

• dogpoet

• Mercian

• Tanzanite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The English Parker 25 was made in the 1970's and has very good fit and finish. It is a cart/converter with little that can go wrong with it from the stainless nib to the brushed stainless exterior. It is well balanced, takes well to posting and has a very satisfying click when closing the cap.

The nib is not marked but I believe the one I have is a medium, quite wet and smooth. It was my carry pen for a long time because I knew it was so sturdy that nothing would damage it.

The Parker 25 sells for $35-50 new in the U.S., that is if you can find one. I purchased mine on eBay several years ago and I have seen them offered from time to time since.

For a little more information here's another discussion of the Parker 25.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

The Parker 25 is a much underated pen. The nibs can be variable, but they are easy to smooth and then they are just great. I have given a couple as gifts to people who wanted to try a pen out. You can get them quite frequently on eBay in the UK for not too much money.

Glad it all worked out for you.

You could try smoothing it on some brown craft paper, just take a piece and write firmly doing cross hatches and figure of 8's. This was an Old Griz Tip originally and you can find loads of references to it if you do a search.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, the Parker 25... takes me back to my schooldays! I remember having one back then (a stainless steel one), and really liked it! A smooth writer as far as I can remember. This makes me want to find one again... would make a great daily user!

• 3 months later...

I bought a Parker 25 a couple years ago, I had a few fountain pens before that, but the 25 has me hooked, Ive bought pens since but none as smooth. I take this pen everywhere with me, and it never lets me down.

Here is a photo of the Parker 25 I bought yesterday in a charity shop for £1. Sorry about the quality of the photo.

best wishes

Simon

post-34-1169994791_thumb.jpg

Edited by simon_uk

My father was offered one in 1989 and he still writes with it. It is a very reliable, solid and well made pen. He loves his parker 25.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

I "rescued" a Parker 25 from my dad - he'd never used it since the early 80's - I fondly remember this being a 'proper' fountain pen, and really enjoyed writing with it then. :blush:

It is a strong, robust but comfortable pen and an excellent addition to a collection IMHO.

But it no longer works. It won't seem to feed the ink from either a converter or a cartridge to the nib. Any ideas why? :(

Pic is of Parker 25 (Left), and Parker Frontier Stainless Steel (Right, my current favourite pen until I get paid)

post-34-1171124273_thumb.jpg

"The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pens: Parker Jotter (black), Parker Frontier (M), Rotring Core Balium (XL), Sheaffer Prelude (M)

Inks: Yard-O-Led Blue/Black, Parker Quink Black and a vintage Quink Blue

Next pen: Varuna (Kavi, Rajan or Gajendra)...

• 3 months later...

I purchased a stainless Parker 25 ballpoint and fountain set with a green trim a few months back on eBay. My uncle used to own the ballpoint when i was younger....i remember always eyeballing his pen whenever he used it in the office.

I purchased the 25 for the ballpoint....but its the Fountain pen thats left an impression on me. I carry them as a pair, use the ballpoint to jot quick notes, but use the fountain whenever i can. I find it to be an excellent writer and a very balanced pen. It is a bit on the scratchy side......it is only marginally drier than my Parker 45, but can't touch my Parker 51 Demi (favorite pen). My fiance loves this pen, i think its her favorite of all the ones i own......the green and stainless combo makes for some eye candy to novices. I still get compliments on how "cool" the nib looks.

alan

I "rescued" a Parker 25 from my dad - he'd never used it since the early 80's - I fondly remember this being a 'proper' fountain pen, and really enjoyed writing with it then. :blush:

It is a strong, robust but comfortable pen and an excellent addition to a collection IMHO.

But it no longer works. It won't seem to feed the ink from either a converter or a cartridge to the nib. Any ideas why? :(

Pic is of Parker 25 (Left), and Parker Frontier Stainless Steel (Right, my current favourite pen until I get paid)

• 1 month later...

I just bought a black trim one on eBay and I really like it. Got a good deal - $18 shipped. A little wear on the bottom of the section near the screw threads but nothing a little polishing can't solve.

Fine steel nib - very nice and clean - at first, seemed on the dry side, but it has already loosened up a bit. Very comfortable to hold, slightly nicer appearance than the Vector I. The clip is a little boxy but looks very 80s, which of course it is. Nice nib appearance, again better than the Vector - very modern.

I was surprised by the barrel thickness - in pictures the pen looks wider. It is really just a hair wider than a Vector I.

I am glad I held out for this over a Flighter version of the Vector. With two Vector Is already, this is a nice variant and I do really like the stainless steel body.

This might be my second favorite fine nib, next to my Vanishing Point. Another great example of a good, cheap pen!!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

• 2 months later...

:meow:

I was in Hove, East Sussex, UK visiting friends and saw some fountain pens in a post/office corner shop.

They had a whole bunch of Parker 25 Flighters with green trim on a cardboard display like in the olden days. £5 so got one.

Lovely pen. Not slippery smooth no but still only slighlty toothy with good feedback. Cheap and cheerful filling system with not much ink but a good knockabout pen.

Anyone who sees them in boot sales or chrity shops should get one.

Armchop

I have a second one now since I wrote my other post. Great simple pens. This nib is just slightly wetter than the first one and writes very well. The size is great - compact and yet very solid in the hand. Darn, I wish I was in Sussex (for so many reasons)...I'd snap up a couple more for $10 apiece!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

yes, great pens, I have 2. And have a very nice balance when posted.

FGA

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...

:meow:

I was in Hove, East Sussex, UK visiting friends and saw some fountain pens in a post/office corner shop.

They had a whole bunch of Parker 25 Flighters with green trim on a cardboard display like in the olden days. £5 so got one.

Lovely pen. Not slippery smooth no but still only slighlty toothy with good feedback. Cheap and cheerful filling system with not much ink but a good knockabout pen.

Anyone who sees them in boot sales or chrity shops should get one.

Armchop

You could buy the bunch of them and resell them at twice the price!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Like alot of 70's things looks a bit dated now, I always found the nibs a bit starnge, they wrote OK, but just looked odd. Still have 3 FPs (2 S/S and 1 matt black, also a couple of BPs and I think a felt tip somewhere). On a couple of mine the clips are a bit loose, not in danger of dropping off just loose.

I suppose it is another 70's 'design classic'

Andy

I have two Parker 25 fountain pens (eBay wins) and one ballpoint from a generous fellow FPNer from England :)

I think the pens are very good writers, durable writing instruments and, yes, attractive (once you get over the fact that they look a bit dated....or post the cap ;))

Now, is it just me or do they seem to be going up in price on eBay? :unsure:

• 1 month later...
I have two Parker 25 fountain pens (eBay wins) and one ballpoint from a generous fellow FPNer from England :)

I think the pens are very good writers, durable writing instruments and, yes, attractive (once you get over the fact that they look a bit dated....or post the cap ;))

Now, is it just me or do they seem to be going up in price on eBay? :unsure:

Hi,

Yes definately on the up! I used to sell the brushed alloy model for around £15 - £20, I sold one recently for £34. The matt black or models usually fetch more.

Kel

I remember that the Parker 25 was the last word in cool when I was at school. I (for some reason) especially remember the brown plastic box which was quite futuristic for the 70's.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...