What would you get?

dr4kds

I have a Pelikan 625 (my most expensive pen)

Pelikan 200

Pelikan 140

Several Esterbrooks

One 51, one 45, one 75, and a Sonnet

Several Safari's in various colors

A Sheaffer Legacy Heritage II, and Imperial III and a IV

Four Phileas

A Parafernalia Fountain Pen

A Bexley Submariner

A Conway Stewart Churchill (bought used so it was less expensive to me than the 625)

My wife is interested (as am I) in getting me a pen for Christmas.

I think that the Waterman Edson, Aurora 85th Anniversary and the Visconti Divine Proportion are beautiful pens, but the latter two are clearly out of my price (not dream) range. There are obviously several fine pen names that I don't have an example of. So, I ask, if you could spend about $500, what would you get?

I would be interested in the collective thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

-Jack

Edited by dr4kds

An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar.

The first orders a beer, the second half a beer, the third 1/4 of a beer...

The bartender says "You guys are a bunch of jerks!" and draws 2 beers.

I can't help it, I like this joke!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dr4kds

• sonia_simone

• goodguy

• mirosc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vintage

Duofold Junior (more bang for your buck than expensive Seniors, unless you want to do the repairs yourself)

Snorkel - another reasonably priced vintage pen that performs great

Waterman 52 - ditto

Aurora 88P or K

You might be able to find these for about that total price, including repairs, if you did some digging and research.

I would much rather have these to use in my pens than spending $500 on one modern pen. But that's just me.

Good Luck and happy pen hunting.

I'd have to go for a Vintage Flex-nib pen and maybe one of the custom Parker 51's.

If you have never written with a flex nib pen, try one. To get a real response one needs a good technique and good control. You might also like a stub or Italics nib.

Anyway, in your budget range there is room for a classic pen and repairs or a restored one from one of many restorers. Some of them post here.

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

Waterman Edson

Waterman Serenite

Sailor Profit 21 Cross Emperor (can be had for $500 in Japan)

Aurora Mare

I'll stop here before I find myself more ways to spend money.

I think it depends what you want this pen for. Identify that for yourself, before you start trying to choose. Keep your thoughts to yourself, so that you can be completely honest. Once you know what the possible new pen is for, it should be easier to decide.

You might just get an OMAS celluloid -- my favourite is the Arco.

A Wahl/Eversharp Doric, in a pretty colour, with the celluloid in excellent condition (it is, alas, prone to deterioration).

A vintage MB: you couldn't get into the glorious stripy celluloids for that money, I think, but you could get one of the classic black pens of the 1950s.

A late '20s - '30s pen in lapis or jade with good colour.

Have fun choosing

Michael

Winedoc sells some beautiful Urushi pens that are right around your price range. I'd send him a PM or email.

french

It would most likely be the funding for of a total search and buy mission on eBay for a cedar blue real early Parker 51 DJ in mint condition and anything left over would be more Parker 51 Vacs...

I agree with Griz (as usual).

I hunted down my Cedar Blue DJ. Got one with a banged up cap. Sent to Daniel Kircheimer for cap work. Worked on the nib myself. Plenty of change from your budget - and a very satisfying project.

The 61 in this pic was only $80

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/ruaidhri/51and61.jpg

Navy Pinstripe Centennial (AND pencil) came in under $500 for the pair:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/ruaidhri/a-Navy-Pinstripes.jpg

Good hunting :D

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Ooooooooooooooooooooh, what a difficult choice, between all those nice Stips I wouldn't mind owning... :lol:

Another Etruria, or maybe a Da Vinci, or a Novecento, or...

Of course, there also is DaniTrio, Nakaya, and a few more pen brands....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sorry I must add one more that is an old favorite of mine and this one is worth serious consideration on your part.

WATERMAN EDSON :drool: :drool:

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Nakaya Writer's Model.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I'd like a Cartier Diablo, black matte finish with the black or blue cabuchon, c/c fill. Might be a little under five bills, but close, though.

I just picked up my Edson (F) yesterday; don't just walk to get one, RUN! It is a writing machine to behold. The nib is firm but man oh man is it sweet. When you have a nib that performs as good as these, flex is a minor sacrafice. The pen is awesome. The Edson coupled with Florida Blue is a wonderful pair.

I also have a couple of MB 149's that are equally sweet, the Edson has new all over it so it took top honors.

Either one and you will be quite happy............for a little while ;)

Edited by StanSoph

Overachieving Underachiever

All posts edited by my dog