First post-collegiate job!

spinwards

Woohoo! only 2 months of searching, and I have landed my first real job!

I am planning to spend between $50 and $100 on a new pen to celebrate.

Sell me on something!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spinwards

• meanwhile

• goodguy

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!

Well for that sort of price range, the best pen you can get is definitely a Pilot Capless (aka Namiki Vanishing Point). Can find most colours for under $100. The Pilot Decimo will cost a bit more though.

You could also think about the Lamy 2000, which can be found at some places for $99.

Congrats man! I graduate a month ago, I haven't really started looking for a job yet, but soon. Hope I can find one that fast.

As for the pen... What about a Vanishing Point? Most people seem to enjoy it and it can be had for right around 100 bucks.

Edit to Neo... JINX!

Edited by BrandonNothing

I endorse the VP (if you want a modern pen) and a P51 (if you want a vintage). I use both on a regular basis, they give great results.

Andy

If you want a modern pen for less money, I heartily recomend the Lamy Safari (widely available for about $25) I have a few of them in bright yellow, they are great.

If you prefer to go vintage, there are tons of great Sheaffers out there, try something with a Triumph nib, they are super smooth. I'd steer clear of vacuum fillers, get a lever filled or Touchdown filled. They are more reliable.

I really like the Pelikan M215 for under $100 (I got mine for about $80, in black, and I think the blue one can be found for less). Or, I'd get an M200 body with a specialty nib, like a stub or cursive italic; I think that can be had for about $100.

Congratulations on your first real job!

Interesting question....

If you are going new... definately a Namiki Vanishing Point.. very easy to use and definately a cool pen to pull out at a meeting... especially when your fellow workers find out it is a fountain pen and not a ball point.

If you are going vintage... I would definately be looking at a Sheaffer Snorkel or a Parker 51... without a doubt the two most dependable later vintage fountain pens made. Both are superb writers. Just make sure if you get a Sheaffer it has a Triumph nib.

My vote goes to Parker Sonnets :)

http://www.coloradopen.com/images/parker-sonnet-fountain-pens.png

Prices are roughly $90 and up depending on what variety you get ;)

I agree, specifically the Ruby Red. -Bruce

Edited by FLZapped

Interesting question....

If you are going new... definately a Namiki Vanishing Point.. very easy to use and definately a cool pen to pull out at a meeting... especially when your fellow workers find out it is a fountain pen and not a ball point.

If you are going vintage... I would definately be looking at a Sheaffer Snorkel or a Parker 51... without a doubt the two most dependable later vintage fountain pens made. Both are superb writers. Just make sure if you get a Sheaffer it has a Triumph nib.

CONGRATS!!! I'll agree with Old Griz. The VP is an excellent choice provided you can handle the clip placement - try before you buy. If you decide to go vintage, you've got tons of options, and Snorks and TDs are great pens. I'm a big fan of TD Imperials :D , so stay away from them - they're all mine!!!! :lol: :lol: "51" is ok too if you don't want to go first class with the Sheaffers :P ;) (ducking and running from my Parker friends).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

In regard to pen appearance - do you want conservative and dull or colorful and flashy? Do you want a modern, space-age look or a classic style? Just wondering.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I have fallen in love with 1948-ish Sheaffer Balances, so I think those are incredibly stylish and elegant, and would recommend one with a Binderized or Dillonized stub nib. (There are other people who do them, and well, from all reports -- I've just been incredibly happy with the ones Richard and Dillon have done for me.)

Also, for $45 or so, you can get a nice Sheaffer Prelude. Again, I think splurging on a modified stub nib is the way to go, but I'm somewhat obsessed.

Congratulations!

Well for that sort of price range, the best pen you can get is definitely a Pilot Capless (aka Namiki Vanishing Point). Can find most colours for under $100. The Pilot Decimo will cost a bit more though.

You could also think about the Lamy 2000, which can be found at some places for $99.

Except that a fair minority of users find the VP unusable because of its clip placement, ruining the writing position....

...And the 2000 unusable because of the two cap retaining pins, which stick straight into a lot of users hands, quite painfully, again ruining the writing position.

Possibly neither of these pens should ever be an unqualified recommendation, especially as a special occasion pen. They're try-before-buys. It's a pity, because they are both sturdy, innovative pens with great nibs.

But if you can try them, or buy with willingness to return or re-sell, they might well be the best modern pens at the $100 mark. All credit to their designers, who actually dared to try something that would improve the state of the art.

Other than this - like people say:

- An aero fill 51 if you like pens that are consistent rather than interesting writers - to the point of feeling like a felt tip

- A Triumph nibbed Snorkel if you want something that feels like a fountain pen rather than said felt tip (allow a servicing budget for the filler)

- A lever fill Balance for 30's retro cool and great writing ability, if you can put up with an XF nib (anything else is hard to find) and want something that feels *really* nice when you write.

And also consider a Sheaffer Targa - rock solid construction, great writers, often with stunning precious metal finishes.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

In case anyone is beginning to notice - yes, I'm really narked about those pins on the 2000! It's probably a sign of how good a pen I think it is otherwise, combined with the fact that I'm one of the people who can't use it.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

I was thinking allot about your question.You must first tell us what type of pen,maker,nib you like,piston filler or cartridge pen ?

Would that be rather new or vintage ?

Since I dont have enough info from you I will go with what I think you will like.

If you want to go with new Pelikan 200 or 250 will be wonderful.The 200 has a steel nib and the 250 a 14K gold nib.Both these pens will go for under 100$ both has piston fillers,Hi German quality and the smoothest nibs you can ask for.

If you want a vintage go for Parker 51 an amazing writers and a true clasic.

Respect to all

Re. the standard 200... I bought my girlfriend one as a present, then replaced it with a Targa. As a pen it is extremely efficient (great filler, still balances capped, interchangeable nib) but you might not feel it has aura that a present or special occasion pen needs.

A 250 with its metal outer shell might be much better, although like the 200 and 400 it's possibly a bit small for most male hands - the 600 and 800 seem to be Pelikan's "just right" pens for most people.

- Jonathan

I agree with meanwhile that the Pelikan might be slightly small but it is still a great pen for both male and famale writers.

As for the Targa yes thats a fantastic pen.I actualy have 4 Targas and is looking to add more but thats not a new pen,Sheaffer stopped making this pen few years ago.You can get it on eBay.

Respect to all

CONGRATULATIONS on your first "big" job.

Let me recommend a Sheaffer Targa, Sheaffer Balance, or Legacy I. Many are available as "new/old stock" in that they have never been used but are still new in the box.

I am particularly partial to the gold Sheaffer Targa pens because they achieve a wonderful combination of clean lines with a more traditional shape. Thus, they deliver a modern look (especially with the inlaid nib) with classic qualities.

As to writing quality, the gold nib versions are among the best ever made by anybody, any where, any time. Yes, there are a few pens with better writing qualities but not many. Sheaffer Targas rank at or near the very top of many people's lists -- and for the price you can get a new/old stock Targa, it's almost impossible to beat the price/quality combination.

Targas (except the slim models) take a conventional Sheaffer converter or Sheaffer cartridges. Converters are still being produced by Bic so it's safe to conclude that even if the sac dries out and goes bad, parts should be available when you're ready to retire.

I've had a Targa for nearly three decades and love it as much now as when I first opened the box. It was my first and still favorite pen.

David