The Budget Pen Question

ScottT

Howdy everyone,

I am in a bit of a pickle, and it is all your fault. I was all set to go to Staples and buy a fountain pen, but decided to Google on FPs in general, and I wound up here.

That's the good part. :D

Since lurking and reading (and reading and reading) I've ordered a Lamy Safari and Pilot Knight (sale was too good to pass up at World Lux) so I am set for the moment.

This is also the good part. :D

I then thought to look at a budget/inexpensive pen to play with as well.

After reading some reviews, I headed over to Isellpens.com.

This is the bad part. :unsure:

I saw pens! Fountain pens, rollerball pens, ballpoints, with names I have learned to recognize as possible gems (Heros) and others I am just not too sure about (Dukes, Fuliwens, etc.)

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

How does one tell the good from the bad? The prices don't help, with many being well under twenty dollars, so how does one know if Pen A is good, while Pen A2 may be bad?

HELP!

Frustratedly,

ScottT :blink:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arvadajames

• sonia_simone

• kissing

• ScottT

The answer is to spend fourteen hours a day poring through old reviews in the pen review forum until your eyes bleed and you've maxed out your credit card on $8 pens.

Worked for me!

This topic was also a fabulous discussion of inexpensive pens:

Pens under $20

Edited by sonia_simone

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Worked for me too!

I've had the best luck with Duke (for fine nibs) and Haolilai (for something approaching Western medium).

Ok, I can see the allure in the 14-hour day thing. :lol:

I know some Heros are good, it seems some Dukes are good, and some Haolilais are good.

Are they all reasonably good, so it comes down to personal preference? Or are there some, shall we say, dogs in the bunch, which I would rather know about now versus getting the pen, trying it, finding out it isn't that hot, posting here and getting a response like, "Oh, you got one of THOSE?" :P

I've been on that road before. :sick:

Helpful suggestions and comments welcome. Unhelpful suggestions or comments welcome if witty. :D

Thanks everyone,

ScottT

Hero's really do depend on which ones you buy, their range of quality does vary greatly. The Hero 100 is a dependable pen, very similar to the popular Parker 51, and has quality construction (but the nib draws a fine line, so depends if you like that).

I've found that Duke pens tend to be of high quality, the materials and finish are great. Again, the nibs are slightly finer than western standards, but thicker than the Hero 100 I think.

There are only 2 ways to tell if a pen is good or not, either to try it yourself, or find a review of that pen on this website.

If I was going to buy more cheap pens any time soon (I am one month into a three-month self-imposed spending moratorium on pens SOB), I would get a Haolilai. They've had really great reviews around here.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Greetings!

My recommendation is the Schneider Base fountain pen available from www.deutschepens.com . It is on a par with the Lamy Safari, but it uses international size cartridges which are easily found, or an international converter (not supplied).

At $15.95, this is one of the best values under $20. The Schneider is from Germany. It is well-made and has a very nice iridium-tipped steel nib. I have never had any problems with the two I own

No matter where you go, there you are.

The problem with hanging around in these forums til your eyes bleed (despite the bleeding eyes and deeper descent into obsession) is that you read about SO MANY PENS that are excellent. Some pens, i can imagine what they feel like just from the descriptions (meaning that I really want the real thing). :o On top of that, you also get contraversial pens which half the group say its the best pen ever made, while the other half say its bad <_< . I do plan on eventually using all of the 'major' ones being mentioned in these forums on my meagre weekly pocket money as a minor :)

On the other hand. . .

It is now the end of the first week of my employment at Murphy Towers, and I have discovered how to bill "business purchases" to the Murphy Towers credit account (Mu HAahAHAH). Don't tell boss ;)

Here is what I found out (taken from Favorite FP < $20 post)

Since I started this thread I thought I should give an update. This is not intended to be a review, just some initial thoughts on the pens. I now own 9 FP’s and below is a list of them and a brief statement about why I would or would not buy the pen again. Listed by price paid, my pens are:

1. Sheaffer Legacy II, brushed copper $99.50 – Yes, I would buy again; closest I’ve seen to what I would consider a perfect pen for me. I love brushed metal, heavy pens, the shape and balance posted is great, wonderfully smooth nib. My favorite pen by a wide margin.

2. Laban Meno $45- No, I would not buy this pen again. It is too light weight. (But, my wife took it and likes it (her first FP- so I would not buy again for me, but would buy again for her).

3. Parker 25 with 1.1 cursive nib - $40- No, would not buy again, nib is too scratchy. I am using this pen as an under liner as I find that the scratchy nib is perfect for holding the pen to the paper as you underline, and I love everything else about the pen.

4. Waterman Phileas $30- Yes, I would buy again. Pen is a little light for my taste, but the size and shape are great and the nib is wonderfully smooth. My third favorite FP.

5. Hero 2004 $23, Yes, I would buy again. It is stainless which is big plus for me, nib is smooth, size is a little skinny, but sometimes I like to carry this type of pen better than the more massive pens. My forth favorite pen.

6. Duke Shark $19. No, I would not buy again. Cap will not stay posted, and I like to write with a posted pen. Plus pen refuses to write most of the time.

7. Haolilia 601F $19. Yes, I would buy again. Same comments as the Sheaffer regarding everything except the pen material. My second favorite pen.

8. Wality eyedropper $10. No, I would not buy again. Pen leaks drops on the paper when I write.

9. Charles Hubart Rosewood. $10. No, I would not buy again. Bottom portion of the pen is very skinny and top portion is very fat when posted. Has a weird top heavy balance. But if you like the balance or like to write unposted--it is a great writer, very smooth.

So, there you have it. If I could have seen and handled the pens before buying them I would have bought 4 pens instead of 9 pens. But, I must say that there are only 3 of the pens that will probably see very limited use.

Bottom line, I think their are gems and dogs at these price levels, plus a lot is personal preference.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and see what the cheap pen is like. I was curious and bought a no name pen for $2.89 from an ebay store. It's a darned good writing pen. I like it alot and if you want a pen to carry around anywhere, this is it. If it gets lost I'm only out $2.89.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

3. Parker 25 with 1.1 cursive nib - $40- No, would not buy again, nib is too scratchy. I am using this pen as an under liner as I find that the scratchy nib is perfect for holding the pen to the paper as you underline, and I love everything else about the pen.

I like my Parker 25 and don't find it scratchy at all. Perhaps it is what you call cursive nib (I'm guessing you mean cursive italic which could account for some scratchiness) or have you tried to smooth or adjust the nib?

That it serves you well for underlining is great, but I'm sorry to hear you don't enjoy it more.

I agree with your other assessments except for the Wality. Mine doesn't drip at all so maybe yours has a particular problem.

If you wish to part with the Parker 25, give me a shout.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Andy,

My opinion of the Parker 25 is changing somewhat. I tried a different ink and it is a lot smoother. Or else, I am just getting used to writing with it more. I am not sure which. I really do like the pen's style etc, and I am trying it again as a FP, instead of as an underliner. For now I would like to keep the pen, but I will keep your offer in mind. As for as the Wality. I think I just got a bad one based on all of the good reviews I have read, but given the price of the pen, it doesn't make sense to me to spend money to have it repaired.

James

given the price of the pen, it doesn't make sense to me to spend money to have it repaired.

James

You can easily repair a scratchy nib at home with a brown paper bag if the problem isnt that major.

If the scratchiness gets on your nerves - just scribble the nib onto a piece of brown paper bag for about a minute, and there should be a difference ;)

• 5 months later...

QUOTE (arvadajames @ Aug 27 2006, 07:45 AM)

Since I started this thread I thought I should give an update. This is not intended to be a review, just some initial thoughts on the pens. I now own 9 FP’s and below is a list of them and a brief statement about why I would or would not buy the pen again. Listed by price paid, my pens are:

1. Sheaffer Legacy II, brushed copper $99.50 – Yes, I would buy again; closest I’ve seen to what I would consider a perfect pen for me. I love brushed metal, heavy pens, the shape and balance posted is great, wonderfully smooth nib. My favorite pen by a wide margin.
2. Laban Meno $45- No, I would not buy this pen again. It is too light weight. (But, my wife took it and likes it (her first FP- so I would not buy again for me, but would buy again for her).
4. Waterman Phileas $30- Yes, I would buy again. Pen is a little light for my taste, but the size and shape are great and the nib is wonderfully smooth. My third favorite FP.
5. Hero 2004 $23, Yes, I would buy again. It is stainless which is big plus for me, nib is smooth, size is a little skinny, but sometimes I like to carry this type of pen better than the more massive pens. My forth favorite pen.
6. Duke Shark $19. No, I would not buy again. Cap will not stay posted, and I like to write with a posted pen. Plus pen refuses to write most of the time.
7. Haolilia 601F $19. Yes, I would buy again. Same comments as the Sheaffer regarding everything except the pen material. My second favorite pen.
8. Wality eyedropper $10. No, I would not buy again. Pen leaks drops on the paper when I write.
9. Charles Hubart Rosewood. $10. No, I would not buy again. Bottom portion of the pen is very skinny and top portion is very fat when posted. Has a weird top heavy balance. But if you like the balance or like to write unposted--it is a great writer, very smooth.

So, there you have it. If I could have seen and handled the pens before buying them I would have bought 4 pens instead of 9 pens. But, I must say that there are only 3 of the pens that will probably see very limited use.

Bottom line, I think their are gems and dogs at these price levels, plus a lot is personal preference.

UPDATE I have sold or am trying to sale all of the pens listed, except the Parker 25. Darn Parkers anyway. I now have 3 Parker 51's; 3 Parker 45s; 2 Esterbrook J's; a Bexley 10th Anniversary; a Bexley Continental; and a Sheaffer Legacy II in Gun metal with a stub nib.

Edited by arvadajames