Argentine Parker 51 Vac Demonstrator

OldGriz

Argentine Parker 51 Vac Fill Demonstrator

I posted this pen when I returned from DC and someone asked for a review...

I have a new found passion for Parker 51 Vac fill pens... this is the latest in my collection. Acquired in a trade with Ernesto Solar at the DC Show. He got a Parker 45 Brocade with a factory oblique nib.

Appearance/Finnish 5/5

This is an extremely interesting pen... the fact that you can see all the inner workings makes it fantastic to any collector of vintage pens. The finish of the pen is extraordinary, every attention to detail was taken care of. As for general appearance... It's a Parker 51, I don't need to say any more than that.

Nib and Writing Performance 5/5

The pen has a sweet smooth fine gold nib that is a joy to write with. It lays down a line with just enough wetness to give the ink a nice shading. Just what I want. I have left the pen in my box for a couple of days and it still writes with the first stroke. It is amazing to see how much ink is around the collector.

Filling System 4.5/5

As mentioned this is a Vac Filler... this pen had the filler fully restored when I got it and it takes a full load of ink... it is real nice to be able to see how the filling system works when you press on the filler and watch the ink fill the body. About the only down side to the Parker 51s is cleaning out the old ink so you can change colors... The collector really holds a ton of ink and needs multiple flushing and trips through the UC to really clear. Then you need a bit of time for the new color ink to totally fill the collector so the pen writes to it's full potential. If you don't intend to change colors... it is a fantastic system.

Conclusion

I can see no difference in the workmanship of this pen compared to the US or Canadian made 51s that I own. It is every bit a Parker as the others are.

I am ecstatic over my new pen.... It is definitely going to be included in my daily writers... and the looks it gets when I take it out to sign something is a trip. I have had more questions asked about this pen in the last week than about any of my other pens.

http://www.myfavoritepen.com/Pics/ParkerDemo.jpg

Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Carrie

• southpaw

• fountainbel

I can never quite make my mind up whether I like demonstrator pens or not, so I've never bought one of any kind. If you ever get the chance, it would be nice to see a detailed photo of the innards without ink.

Congratulations with your new baby Tom & thanks a lot for your revealing review!

I've read somewhere on the net that specially the internal finish of the Argentine 51 is not as good as the original Parker, this proves to be wrong according your findings & seeing your excellent picture.

Being a fervent Sheaffer adept I lately also became intrested in the Parker 51, being one of the monuments in the fountainpen history.

After reading your review I really got tempted to buy me also one !

Thanks again & enjoy !

Francis

Edited by fountainbel

Cool pen, Tom. Thanks for the review.

Is there a source for these pens out there (I guess what I'm asking is are they still being made in Argentina)?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Cool pen, Tom. Thanks for the review.

Is there a source for these pens out there (I guess what I'm asking is are they still being made in Argentina)?

After I got this pen, I mentioned that Ernesto had two more on his site, but they suddenly got sold (MMMM do you think he owes me a commission :P :P )

I have seen a couple on eBay being sold by Kullock, but he is actually in Brazil not Argentina... but I do know his work is first rate... I saw some of his stuff at the DC Show and was blown away.... it was a good thing that SWHTM decreed that cash must return from DC or I best not...

Always worth looking what Ariel Kullock has on EBay. He does have some nice looking pens and so far I've been very good and have resisted temptation. I hadn't realised he was in Brazil with it giving the location as Argentina for his auctions.

I might have been wrong.. I could have sworn someone at DC said he was in Brazil..... but the auctions do say Argentina....

Wow, that is a beautiful pen. It's the sort of thing that keeps Sheaffer vs. Parker a question with no answer.

Murdoch

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Griz,

Just a reminder, I hate you and your pens.

A very jealous somebody :lol: :D :lol:

That is one great pen, I just love the idea of seeing it fill B) Gotta have one, but funds is tight, too many toys, (Car & Boat), not enough revenue :( :( Herself would give me wot for, it is not as if I have nothing to write with :doh:

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Hi,

I am getting this one's blue sister. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon