The Bexley Sheherazade

TheNobleSavage

Bexley Sheherazade

First Impressions

Well, my Bexley arrived yesterday. I was very surprised on how it looked. When I open the USPS box and removed the pen out of the bubble wrap. My heart sunk. It looked like the pen was cracked and gouges in the barrel and cap. I thought to myself that, it was 95.00 for a reason, you big dummy!!! Well, I turned on the light to examine the extent of the damage and to my surprise, there was no damage. What I thought was gouges and cracks were actually sliver chips with some shiny glitter imbedded deep in the pen.

Appearance/Finish 4.5 out of 5

When the pen is posted, it is the same size as a Pelikan M800, but when capped, it is the length of a Pelikan M600. The pen has a tapered design. It is thinner at the end, where the piston knob is located. I find this area of the pen similar to the Sheaffer Legacy in girth. The barrel widens to the size of a Pelikan M1000, then tapers down to a M600 or M800 size where you place your fingers at to write. It is a very comfortable pen to write with, likewise it is a very impressive work of art. No two pens are alike and each one has its own unique personality, which makes this pen very appealing to me.

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/185/bex3on.jpg

The Sheherazade looks similar to a Pelikan Chicago in color with the grey/black and smoke/white swirls. There seems to be more transparency in the barrel of the Sheherazade. What really makes the Sheherazade stand out from the Pelikan Chicago besides the shape are the chips of shiny silver. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of this, nor did I find any pictures with it in there. This is something that you have to see in person to really appreciate.

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6551/pelchi5kq.jpg

There are 3 colors to choose from: Translucent Blue, Tortoise and Grey (this pen) There is a color for everyone to enjoy. I saw the Translucent Blue in person at the LA Pen Show and I have to say it is one really cool looking pen. The Tortoise is another unique looking color for the Sheherazade. It looks more like a classic color compared to the other two. And of course there is the Grey. In the picture it looks rather plain and mediocre compared to the other two but when you see it in person, there is a sense of magic to it.

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/1470/sheherazad7pu.jpg

Overall Design/Size and Weight 4.5 out of 5

It is a very smooth design that is not aero dynamically designed but it is designed for looks and for function, even more so than a Pelikan, and I really love Pelikans. Surprisingly the pen is very light, especially for its size. I don’t have a scale but I know that it is much lighter than a M1000 and M800 and I believe it is almost the weight of a M600. The pen seems very balanced with the cap posted and while writing. So there are no tired hands or fingers with this pen. The pen feels really nice in the hand while you are writing. Even if you choke up all the way to the nib while you write or if you like to write with your fingers further up on the barrel.

This is a very impressive pen that screams in the spirit of a Pelikan but with a body style of an Aurora, Waterman or a Krone. The pen feels really nice on the hand while you are writing. Even if you choke up all the way to the nib while you write or if you like to write with your fingers further up on the barrel.

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/5056/aurora2ut.jpg

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6990/waterman2vx.jpg

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/5599/krone7ib.jpg

Nib Design/Performance 5 out of 5

You have to see it to appreciate it!! Well, you wonder how does it write?? Like a Pelikan M1000 with a medium to broad wet noodle nib. It is duo tone color 18kt Broad nib and the nib is fairly large, around the same size as the Pelikan M800. It is springy, flexible, buttery smooth garden hose wet writer. The widths of the lines are nice and thick which is in the Ball Park of a medium to a light broad. I heard a lot about the quality of Bexley nibs and they were some of the smoothest around, I have to tend to believe them, especially with this pen.

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/4195/nib6qn.jpg

The Filling System 5/5

The filling unit in the Sheherazade is a piston filler, like the Pelikan. The interesting thing about this piston knob is that you cannot tell if the piston is up or down, you really have to look in the chamber to see were it is as. For example, on a Pelikan, when you empty the pen, the knob on the piston filler is slightly raised and there is a slight gap between the knob and the barrel. The Gap on the Sheherazade is absent, the piston knob is flush with the barrel on both the filling and the expelling actions.

The action on the filler is so smooth when you fill or empty the pen. The piston knob moves effortlessly and the barrel holds a generous amount of ink. I believe that the Sheherazade is on the only Bexley pen that uses a piston filler. I really think they made a good decision in making the Sheherazade with a filling system that incorporates a piston. I am a sucker for piston fillers and there are so many advantages to them. For example, the amount of ink that can be stored is so much more compared to other filling systems and the convenience of not having to unscrew the barrel to reach the cartridge converter to fill the pen is a big Plus. Pictures do not do this pen any justice. You have to see it in person to experience the beauty of this pen and I am not kidding either!!! Oh by the way, did I mention that this pen is a piston filler? :-)

Cost 3.5 out of 5

This is one area that really tends to turn me off due to the fact that I am a budget minded pen collector/user. Now, for me, I bought this pen at a fraction of what the MSRP is ($300.00) and what some of the other internet stores sell them for, the cheapest I saw was around $190.00-$200.00. I really wanted this pen but not at this price, it is way too steep, even for me  So I have been looking for a used model for the past 6 months on Pentrace, EBay, FPN, Los Angeles Pen Show, and just about everywhere on the net. I pretty much gave up my search last month after the LA Pen show. Well, luckily for me, I decided to browse the Pentrace Green page to see what people had to offer. Well, at the bottom of the list, a gentleman had one for sale in the color grey. Since I am a collector/user, I didn’t care that the pen had no papers or box. 90% of the time, the boxes sits in my closet collecting dust and taking up space. Only special edition pens are the ones I desire with a box, but that is not a deciding factor in buying a pen. I rather buy gently used pens with no box at good prices than pay an arm and a leg for a pen with box papers and a price tag.

Conclusion

Everyone is different when it comes to pen and pen collecting so I respect the fact that people collect pens for investments and do not ink them. But that is not me!!! So don’t get the wrong impression!!! But that makes my search for pens easier and cheaper. I like to give used pens with small and minor defects a loving home. To me, the defects (minor, of course) are a pens personality and make them unique, kind of like people. But regardless, I picked up the pen for $95.00, 1/3rd of what the MSRP is and ½ of what it is going for on the internet, for me that’s a steal!!!

If you can afford this pen, then it really is a fantastic and impressive looking/performing pen, as all Bexley Pens are. I don’t think you will be disappointed with it, I know I wasn’t. The nib is top notch, the design is excellent, weight and performance is impressive. This is pretty much what you want and expect in a pen. If you can find a used one at a sub $150.00 price tag, then by all mean consider it. If you can find one at a sub $100.00, then you would be foolish not to get it!!! J/K 

So do I recommend it or do I say pass on it??? I definitely recommend this pen, hands down especially If you like Pelikan pens and/or a Bexley Pen fan. If you have the cash to buy it brand new, then do it. If you are a budget minded user/collector, then I would consider getting a used one or at least try to look for a good deal on a new one.

Images in this review are from the following sites: www.fountainpenhospital.com www.nibs.com www.parkvillepens.com Thank you, please visit these sites!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• Keith with a capital K

• Tricia

• Brian

Great Review! but where are the pics of YOUR pen? ;)

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Would you believe that I didnt have time to set up and shoot??? I did my review at work. I might add a few pictures later on. Further reviews have pictures on my pens that I shot!

Thanks for the compliment

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Nice work Aaron... for someone who rarely buys "high rent" pens I like to read about other people's experiences with them and hear that you got something you were wanting at a very good price.

I'm waiting to find my green Aurora Optima at a similar price.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Thanks Keith!! I find that my limit for pens is at the 250.00 mark and that is only on very VERY rare occations, I count only 3 pens in my collection. For me, I dont think there is anything worth buying past my 250.00 limit. I would rather buy my pens gently used than brand new, they are usually cheaper and they are well broken in :) Plus I can get pens that I normally wouldnt be able to afford.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for this excellent review.

I've always been wondering about Bexleys, and the Sheherazade in particular, as you never see this brand over in these parts (Netherlands). Maybe I should try and convince my favourite B&M store over here to carry them. They're always in for something new, provided the quality is right. :D

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

<snip>

I would rather buy my pens gently used than brand new, they are usually cheaper and they are well broken in  :)  Plus I can get pens that I normally wouldnt be able to afford.

I agree with your approach, NobleSavage (as long as the seller is trust-worthy!)

I liken it to buying a used car....They say its value depreciates by x% as soon as it's driven off the lot, so we've never bought a brand new car, even if we could afford it without financing. I would rather get one with very low mileage that is one or two years old for a good price. But that is just me; I have friends who won't even consider buying a used car because they want something "new"....

In any case.....congratulations on your Sheherazade pen purchase! The pen sounds like a winner and your review was thorough and fun to read. Now, I am interested in seeing what those "chips of shiny silver" in the pen's design look like... :)

This is indeed a very nice pen. But I tend to hold pens at a rather high point, and although the sharp step didn't bother me right away when I held the pen, I am almost sure it would eventually make the pen uncomfortable for me. But the position of the step is high enough that it should feel great in most people's hands. It is great to hear you loved the nib on this pen, since I have my eyes set on the Americana.

• 3 years later...

I have just obtained a Sheherazade in beautiful translucent blue with embedded silver flakes ....one of my prettiest pens and a very smooth writer with its wet Fine nib.

I am using it with Diamine Sapphire which seems to suit it well.

I didn't dare to put Baystate Blue in it although it would, IMO, be a perfect colour for it :)

I was prepared to pay nearly $200 for it....and as happy as one usually is at parting with $200 ;)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I've had mine nearly two years and it's still at the top of my favorites list. I almost always keep Noodler's Blue-Black in it, though the talk about other dark blues (many of which I have) has me thinking maybe I'll be a bit adventuresome with this next fill.

Love the blue with the sparklies. Only difference from yours is that mine is a medium nib. Fantastic pen! :wub:

Congrats on a great purchase!

Edited by Tricia

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I've had mine nearly two years and it's still at the top of my favorites list. I almost always keep Noodler's Blue-Black in it, though the talk about other dark blues (many of which I have) has me thinking maybe I'll be a bit adventuresome with this next fill.

Love the blue with the sparklies. Only difference from yours is that mine is a medium nib. Fantastic pen! :wub:

Congrats on a great purchase!

I have the exact same pen and echo your comments. :)