Aurora 85th Anniversary Red

rokurinpapa

[Aurora 85th Anniversary Pen(red Auroloide)  Limited Edition ]

[brief introduction] This is my seventh pen review in English.

Aurora, the largest fountain pen maker in Italy, launched 2 kinds of Limited Edition Pens, white version made

of mother of pearl and red version made of red marbled resin (red Auroloide) in 2005 to commemorate the 85th

Anniversary of its Foundation in Turin, Italy (1919).I do not know the reason why the year of delivering these

pen was not 2004,but 2005. The number of the white version to be produced is 99 and the number of the red

version to be produced is 1919(In some cases, 1919 means 3838, that is 1919 for Italian market and 1919 for

export. But in this case, 1919 seems to be only1919 in all.) In this connection I have heard that the color of

the red version is the image color of Aurora.

White ones are astronomically exclusive. Red ones are also expensive but can be bought by convulsive efforts.

Surprisingly the red ones are very popular among Japanese fountain pen lovers (they must be such people as

spare no effort to have favorite pens.) Several blogs about fountain pens in Japan have introduced the red ones

very attractive. So many fountain pen lovers are looking for the pens eagerly. Generally speaking, Italian pens are

very attractive for their design and coloring, but the quality of them may not be superior to German or Japanese

pens, I think. But Aurora seems to be the most reliable for me among Italian pen makers. Of course I wanted to

have the red. But the pens were very rare in Japan. I found the red ones for sale at USA and Italian famous sellers.

I decided to buy the pen from the Italian seller on line. I ordered the pen in November, 2008, but the seller had no

stocks. To my surprise, it seemed that Aurora still continued to produce the red ones then. They did not have made

1919pens yet. So I could choose the favorite serial number among the numbers left. I was waiting patiently and

next February at last I have got the pen.

Perhaps this pen is famous for its beauty. But there is no review in this FPN. So I would like to introduce the pen

to people who are interested in Italian beautiful pens. But I am not so familiar with Italian pens, and besides I have

fallen in love with this pen. So I may make some mistakes about the pen. If so, Please tell me about it by your comment.

* Auroloide It is original resin by Aurora's special order. When Aurora planned the production of Optima, they

wanted to reproduce their former vivid celluloid pens. But it was difficult to obtain celluloid stably. So they decided to

adopt the other materials. At first it was acrylic resin, but it is now cellulose acetate that carries less burden on

environment. The body of Auroloide is made by craftsmen as follows: 1 making cylindrical shape by shaving the block

of Auroloide 2 making barrel by grinding the cylindrical shape. 3 polishing elaborately.

1 First Impressions (9/10) – The box is an original luxurious wooden red one with clear lacquer for the 85th. Silver"85"

within floral motif is printed on the surface of the lid. Though the box is very nice, I would like to have more compact box.

When I opened the box, there were the Aurora85th pen, a special edition bottle of Aurora black ink with the 85th special

wrapping paper and a booklet. By the way some Aurora85th pens have been delivered lately to some shops in Japan.

They seem to come with general standard box for limited edition pens. I wonder Aurora does not have made 1919 original

boxes for the 85th. The pen itself on the sophisticated light gray cloth seemed to be shining beautifully as had been

expected and I felt happy to have the pen in hand.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020612.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020613.jpg

2 Appearance & Design (10/10) – The shape of this pen resembles Optima based limited edition pens such

as Asia or Europe. The color of the pen is a good combination of marbled red and silver. The red part is translucent

red Auroloide and sends out breathtaking beauty especially when it is irradiated. The cap end, cap top, barrel end,

barrel rings and grip section is the silver part made of solid sterling silver. The clip is metal plated by palladium*1.

The color of the nib is silver by being plated by rhodium. The ink tank window is clear resin of high quality like crystal*2.

There is Aurora logo made of gray mother-of-pearl with a background of red coral paste and an overlaying lens made

of rock crystal inside the oval or heart-shaped girdle on the silver domed cap top. The design and the shape of the

Aurora logo is similar to that of the familiar Aurora logo in everywhere. The color of the coral paste seems to be

various according to individual pens and the color of this paste is rather light and near to pink.

The ring under the silver dome of the cap top, the cap band, the ring under the turning knob of the barrel and the

bottom of the barrel are decorated with floral motif engravings that recall Aurora's first models in the times of its

foundation and were once adopted in Aurora 80th Anniversary pen. The cap band is wide and "AURORA" is engraved

on the front, serial number of 4 figures on the back.

The graceful design of the clip is similar to that of Optima and "85" is engraved on the top of it. I hear the clips are

made by hammering of skilled craftsmen.

The surface of the grip section is smooth with no engravings but is not slippery and easy to be held.

*1 In some Japanese sellers' HP, the clip is said to be made of sterling silver. But I have found the description that

the clip is metal plated by palladium in another HP. As such clip as this type needs strength and sterling silver is

not proper materials for it, I think this clip is not sterling silver.

*2 In one HP, the window is said to be made of rock crystal. But I think it is made of clear resin.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020614.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020615.jpg

upper: 85th lower:80th

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020618.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020627.jpg

just a joke

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020628.jpg

under bright light

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020621.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020616.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020617.jpg

3 Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – The length of this pen is a little longer than Optima, measuring 131mm long capped,

124mm uncapped and 155mm posted. The maximum diameter of the barrel is 16mm. It weighs 41.5g with full of ink and

heavy a little for me. I feel that it fits my hands totally well when posted.

4 Nib & Performance (8/10) – This pen comes with a solid 18k gold F nib but the color is monotone silver plated by

rhodium (EF,F,OF,OFR, M,OM,OMR, B, OB, OBR, BB, Stub and Italic seem to be available. )The engraving of the nib is

classical and elegant. These nibs may be common for high end pens and may not be made specially for the85th. The

size of the nib is almost the same as Montblanc146. The feeder is made of ebonite(hard rubber).So the ink flows

abundantly after the feeder has adjusted the ink. The nib is smooth, but not so buttery smooth. However, it is interesting

that I have a pleasant feeling from the feedback to the paper. Perhaps the taste of the nib is character or identity of

Aurora. The more I have used this nib, the more the nib has become smooth and I have liked the taste. The line it puts

down is typical western F and practical enough for taking notes. It is good that the nib can be easily screws out. It is not

good that the nib and the feeder tends to be shifted to the contrary.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020622.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020623.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020626.jpg

5 Filling System (10/10) – It is a piston filler and holds about 1.1ml* ink enough for daily use. The system is very smooth

and solid. The knob turns accurately and gravely like a hydraulic precision instrument. It has also the unique "hidden reservoir"

system that Aurora is proud of. It is a small cup fitted in the piston head. The capacity of the reservoir is about 0.06ml. You

can write another page or 2 owing to the ink contained in the reservoir after your ink in the main chamber seems to have

run out if you turn the piston down to the small tube connected to the feeder to let the ink in the reservoir go into the feeder.

The system is very interesting as such a secret mechanism as most boys will delight. But it does not seem that the system

can have additional ink capacity and it needs more work to clear the ink in the reservoir thoroughly when you want to change

the ink. The ink tank window is clear. Besides it is wider than narrow window of Aurora 80th Anniversary pen. So it is easy to

observe the volume of the ink in the main chamber.

* I measured the weight of water inhaled by the piston filling system by TANITA digital scale KP-103(the weight of the

body without cap with full of water: 29.0g, empty of water: 27.9g)

the small black tube connected to the feeder

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/rokurinpapa/Aurora%2085th/P1020624.jpg

6 Cost & Value (10/10) - The list price is 150,000 yen(+consumption tax7,500yen) in Japan and now you can expect little

discount in Japanese shops because of its popularity. The list price is $1,500 in USA and the real market price is perhaps under

about $1200. Of course you may get the pen discounted more at auctions. I bought the pen at a price of 950 Euro (almost the

same as $1200 at then rate) from an Italian seller. So I think I got an ordinal deal probably. Does this pen worth the price? The

answer depends on the degree how you like the pen. Absolutely yes! ,for me.

7 Conclusion (Final score[56]: 9.3)- Aurora 80th(the list price is $2000) seems to be more popular than this 85th in general.

I also like the 80th rationally. This 85th never gets full marks in the final score and besides some people may say that the red

color of the 85th is suitable for ladies. But at last I have fallen in love with this 85th.This 85th has original mysterious appeal

that has awaken my sentiment(I love another 85th,that is, Pilot 85th that has also awaken my sentiment). I believe that the

more you understand the 85th, the more you will be fascinated. So I recommend you to keep away from the 85th if you do

not want to spend money. I am afraid that people like me will go on increasing not only in Japan but also in the other area

in the world.

Edited by rokurinpapa

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokurinpapa

• jorgerp1

• QM2

• lowks

Excellent review and a nice pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

nice review rokurinpapa :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Very clever joke. I like the bottom version of the two :thumbup:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Wow. I think that engraving on the bottom of the pen takes the prize.

Aurora does beautiful engravings.

I have an Aurora 80th Anniversary, and it is one of my most prized pens.

Many thanks for your beautiful photos and review. How much did you pay for this?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

What a beautiful red pen! I also like the cap swap - especially the 80th anniversary silver cap on the 85th. Thanks for this excellent review!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

it looks so magical :puddle: especially with the cap swap, thanks for this great review

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Many thanks for your beautiful photos and review. How much did you pay for this?

The cost was expensive. I described the cost I paid in the review. Now the market price seems to become lower.

rokurinpapa

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind words. I have heard that the prices of Aurora pens have become higher recently.

The price of Aurora85th seems to be in a state of disorder.If you are going to get the 85th, you should

look for the lowest price after careful investigation.

rokurinpapa