Noodler's Ink La Reine Mauve

jandrese

This is Noodler's Ink La Reine Mauve. Wow, this was hard to color correct after scanning. It is a dark purple but scans almost as solid black, interesting. The La Reine Mauve looks OK on my color corrected screen but Texas Blue Bonnet is not this bright. Noodler's black is totally resistant to Photoshop, it always looks absolute black!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4277172460_eb460fdd22_b.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Viseguy

• rogerb

• Steph Dale

Nice review, nice colour, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Does the ink dry in the nib if you pause for more than 10 seconds when writing? That happens all the time in my Lamy 2000, which is odd since it has a hooded nib and no other inks usually dry out. I haven't been able to figure out if there's something wrong with my ink/pen choice or if its a typical problem.

Been meaning to get some. it is a very nice color, but it is just one of those inks that I can not see making its way into the standard line up, and just piles with the other dozen or so inks on the shelf... Good review though.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

This is Noodler's Ink La Reine Mauve. Wow, this was hard to color correct after scanning. It is a dark purple but scans almost as solid black, interesting. The La Reine Mauve looks OK on my color corrected screen but Texas Blue Bonnet is not this bright. Noodler's black is totally resistant to Photoshop, it always looks absolute black!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4277172460_eb460fdd22_b.jpg

I'm using La Reine Mauve right now in a Parker Sonnet, and the color I see looks nothing like the scan shown. Curious.

Does the ink dry in the nib if you pause for more than 10 seconds when writing? That happens all the time in my Lamy 2000, which is odd since it has a hooded nib and no other inks usually dry out. I haven't been able to figure out if there's something wrong with my ink/pen choice or if its a typical problem.

Yes, mine dries too.

I'm using La Reine Mauve right now in a Parker Sonnet, and the color I see looks nothing like the scan shown. Curious.

Same here. This scan (first and last samples) is close to what I see in person:

http://www.serve.com/ammaze/xfer/blu-lrm1.jpg

Viseguy

Quite right. As is nearly always the case a swab looks lighter than the ink from a pen. My wet writing Herald puts down a thick bead of ink. Take a look at the left side of your first swab where the ink is thickest; this looks similar to my scan.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like Iraqi Indigo/Violet Vote, or perhaps Lermentov? Am I correct in this assessment? Noodlers claims that its a very free flowing ink. From your review it sounds like its not.

It looks like Iraqi Indigo/Violet Vote, or perhaps Lermentov? Am I correct in this assessment? Noodlers claims that its a very free flowing ink. From your review it sounds like its not.

Lermentov is pink-red. Check the reviews. Had it for about two days from another user on this site and put it down the drain. Awful color, smell and performance

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

What a lovely colour. I was wondering about geting a bottle of this myself, but wondered how it would compare with the La Couleur Royale I've currently got loaded in my 'work' pen.

I can now see this is a bit darker and, well, more interesting.

Thanks for the review.

Steph

This ink does like to dry in the nib. And the nib creep, oh man, it's bad.

I would not say that it is free flowing. It likes to dry in the nib and it feels a little thick. For a thick feeling bulletproof ink I guess it flows pretty easily though. It feels textured. Actually, if I was blindfolded I bet I could tell this ink from another based on how it feels; weird ugh?

• 5 months later...

This is my only real bullet-proof ink and I am really pleased with it.

I use it mostly in a wet, Fine Waterman Gentleman and I haven't experienced any drying problems.

It does suffer nib-creep but that does not bother me, in view of its otherwise excellent behaviour and performance.

It only feathers on my Original Crown Mill Cream Laid envelopes(the one place I alway use it..for its BPness) ...not on the paper.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I have this color and it's one of my favorites. Though I usually think Noodler's ink bottles too large to ever run out, this is one for which I lament the small bottle size :) Thanks for the great review!

Tamara

This ink id the only ink I use in one of my two work environments - where all writing is done on yellow paper that seems to ruin any other ink and nib combination - La Reine Mauve just works beautifully on this paper.

Nib creep is terrible - but I use a black Lamy Safari nib, so it doesn't show. It does sometimes dry up on the nib, but a quick wipe or splash under a running tap (what you folks over the pond would call a faucet) sets it running again.

Expensive, but for me it's worth it.

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

• 1 year later...

Same here. This scan (first and last samples) is close to what I see in person:

http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/blu-lrm1.jpg

(Updated URL so that image will display.)

Viseguy