Pilot Scholar

WalkAmongWolves

I want to apologize in advance for any formal issues and possible biases. This is my first official review and am rather excited about the new pen. The pen I'm reviewing is the Pilot Scholar (NOS) I purchased from Speerbob for christmas. I chose this pen to be my first review because I looked and looked for reviews of this pen before I bought it and found virtually nothing so I thought I'd share.

First Impressions - 10/10

Fairly big, about 5 1/2 in., good medium weight, tasteful.

Appearance & Design - 10/10

I am a person with very simple taste. Most fountain pens, especially the super expensive brands, are FAR too decorated and flashy for my taste. So this simple and lightly decorated pen really makes an impression on me. I think Pilot did a great job of taking a fairly common body style and tastefully accenting it with the engraved guilloche pattern. The nib is what first struck my attention. The way the underbelly of the pen plays with the overall profile of the pen with the inlaid nib looks really nice and has a great sculptural quality.

Construction & Quality - 9/10

Black resin body with very tight fitting cap. Everything on this pen feels very sturdy and the engraved pattern lends an enjoyable tactile experience to using the pen. -1 point for the clip being SUPER tight, almost too tight to use.

Weight & Dimensions - 10/10

Very large pen, much larger than any others I own, but the size seems appropriate with the design.

Nib & Performance - 9/10

The few reviews I found on this pen (with the fine nib, which is technically an extra fine) all said that it felt scratchy. This is where I disagree. The nib does not write buttery smooth but that's because the nib is so small. Writing with what is essentially a needle-point is going to naturally feel just a little bit rough and for such a fine line I would say this nib is pretty damn smooth. My only complaint is that the nib seems to usually need about a 2 second scribble each time I use it to get the ink flowing... not really a problem in my book.

Filling System & Maintenance - ?

I am new to the pressure filling system so I don't have an accurate opinion of it yet but so far so good. Having to clean the nib a little bit after filling the system could be considered a pain but I kind of enjoy the little things like that... convenience is overrated when compared to quality.

Cost & Value - 10/10

Bought from Speerbob.... I don't think I need to tell any of you about Bob's service. $29.99, arrived in 2 days!

Conclusion (Final score, 48/50)

Thoroughly impressed with this mid-price/high performance pen. Like I said, the nib is super fine and doesn't have that butter feeling of a medium but this thing sure performs for fine line work. I am contemplating purchasing another as I am afraid I will break this one and not be able to find another.

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/capped.jpg

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/uncapped.jpg

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/capandbody2.jpg

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/nibprofile.jpg

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/nib.jpg

http://student.mica.edu/bbaltz/comparison.jpg

This last image is a size comparison to the Pilot 78G

The drawing in the photos was drawn with this pen.

"I dip my pen in the blackest ink, for I am not afraid of falling in my ink-pot." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WalkAmongWolves

• lovemy51

• Gojira

• DAYoung

Wow, thanks a lot! I was afraid I wasn't thorough enough.

"I dip my pen in the blackest ink, for I am not afraid of falling in my ink-pot." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well done review. Very nice. This is a great looking pen and you make it look like its worth at least +$200. I like Pilots in general and appreciate their fine attention to detail and above average execution. It helps too that Pilot in the US is a first rate repair center. Congratulations.

nice review, WAW! funny, mine writes the moment it touches paper, but it is (was... already got it to write smmoothly enough!!) scratchy.

i so love the guilloche detail of the body, super well done!!

enjoy your pen.

Excellent review. I have a similar pen also purchased from Speerbob (mine has a vertical lined body) and have often contemplated getting this version as well. I concur that the clip is almost too tight to be usable, which is not really a big deal for me.

I wonder is anyone tried using one of these with the current Pilot converters like the CON-50 or CON-70?

The pen lines, especially that delicious nib, are as elegant as your line drawing. Nice review!! I want a Pilot Scholar, now!! :puddle:

Excellent review. I have a similar pen also purchased from Speerbob (mine has a vertical lined body) and have often contemplated getting this version as well. I concur that the clip is almost too tight to be usable, which is not really a big deal for me.

I wonder is anyone tried using one of these with the current Pilot converters like the CON-50 or CON-70?

hi gojira. mine came with a screw-in con-20 that's huuuuuuge!!! i don't know if others fit, since they need to be threaded???

Totally agree. Pilot seems to do a great job of sparing unnecessary expenses in exchange for quality at a reasonable price. Even the cheapest Pilots I own still have high-performance nibs and sturdy pen construction.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was a bit skeptical about my reviewing abilities but your feedback has been great. I also recently purchased one of the new Mabie Todd Eternal Black fountain pens and am thinking about posting a review of it as well.... also because there seems to be NO review of that pen online. Oh and if anyone is interested in buying the Pilot Scholar, Speerbob still has some for $29.99.

The pen lines, especially that delicious nib, are as elegant as your line drawing. Nice review!! I want a Pilot Scholar, now!! :puddle:

Thank you, this pen definitely delivers on the fine line front.

Totally agree. Pilot seems to do a great job of sparing unnecessary expenses in exchange for quality at a reasonable price. Even the cheapest Pilots I own still have high-performance nibs and sturdy pen construction.

Sorry, this was in response to Brian's comment...just not getting the hang of the quoting process.

hi gojira. mine came with a screw-in con-20 that's huuuuuuge!!! i don't know if others fit, since they need to be threaded???

Gee, I can't remember what sort of converter came in mine although I'm pretty sure it's a CON-20 or something similar. Threaded, you say? Better check tonight. Maybe I'll ink it! Too many pens, so little time...

I have one of these too. I'm not as exuberant about it, because it is a few steps below the Pilot Custom in terms of quality and durability. The nib does not appear to be 14kt gold, but more like gold plated steel. Mine is rather toothy. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think these might have been made in Korea for Pilot.

The unusual thing about these pens is that they came with an extra long CON-20 installed. Yes, it's a different converter, sporting about an extra centimeter in length. I was told that these converters were made and sold in Korea for a time, and that's why you cannot purchase them from Pilot Japan. From what I recall, the CON-70 does not fit as the opening isn't wide enough.

Not a bad pen for the price, overall. The pattern etched into the body is really quite attractive. Beyond smoothing out the nib, my only other notable gripe would be the cap--it's a snap on type that exhibits a bit too much friction. And the clip seems extraordinarily tight (fine for a thin shirt pocket, but not much else).

Thanks for your informative first review! :thumbup:

~MYU

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 weeks later...

I love older, Showa-era stuff simply because of the design. As I never got to grow up in Japan (half and half, born and raised in the US), using these old pens and seeing their curves and colors is really a treat for me. I am going to order one of these for my birthday and maybe get an older pen for my mom, whose old Platinum Pocket fountain pen from 1968 is rusted out and no longer useful. She'll love something NOS from Pilot!

Excellent review, thank you.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.