The Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

The Namiki Vanishing Point (VP) is the only fountain pen on the market with a retractable nib and a push-button mechanism. When the nib is retracted, it simply looks like a nice roller or ball pen. While some fountain pen aficionados might consider it as an oddity, it does have its very own qualities.

The VP marks its first points with its retractable nib and extremely sturdy construction. It is definitely the perfect pen for traveling or to carry around in a shirt pocket, a handbag or a backpack. The aesthetic is of course a matter of personal taste, but its design is modern and its rocket-like shape attracts the eyes.

The use of the VP can be very pleasant as long as the position of your finger is "VP compatible". This might be the major obstacle for some writers : the clip of the VP is positioned so that it fits somewhere between your thumb and index finger, on the nib side, not on the button end as with classic push mechanism. The clip does have grooves on its sides where your fingers can find their place. The body can also be a bit bulky or heavy for some people.

The nib come in 14kt gold and is very smooth in its broad version (I did not try any other size). As many japanese pens, the broad nib is actually somewhere between the medium and broad grade of western manufacturers.

As a conclusion, the VP is a very good writer, of excellent construction and design at a very reasonable price (it can be found easily for less than a hundred dollars). I would definitely recommend a "test drive" in your local shop, both for the writing position and the nib size.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• woodwindmaster06

• Apollo

• southpaw

I have one of this too. Only mine is called a Pilot Capless. I believe it is marketed under this name in the Far East. I'll try to get some pics up for this one too. Together with the packaging.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

• 10 months later...

Nice review Richard. I bought a blue carbonesque model with a medium nib. I find it interesting that your broad nib is more like a western medium. The dealer I bought it from said that Japanese nibs run narrower than western nibs, but I found mine to be a true medium.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all...

why is the Namiki Vanishing Point well liked by many ?

Besides its unique push-button mechanism, is there something else that justifies its popularity ?

Curious...

or is it just all hype ?

rgds

TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Besides the wonderfully convenient retractable nibs, VPs:

Are very reliable

Tough - built like a tank

Have smooth nibs

Have cheap nibs - easy to swap out

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

well, we've had VP admiration threads here relatively recently so you might want to check those out.

I'll try to be brief, though it's not in my nature. :meow:

It's one of the smoothest nibs OOTB I've ever encountered (true for both my fine and my medium.) The convenience is unparalleled for me. I feel it very safe in my pocket because of it's clip design and it's sturdy build. It's the only "heavy" pen I have ever used that I can actually use for long periods of time - it is perfectly balanced for *my* hand (everyone is different.) The flow on both the VPs I have has been as reliable as my Pelikans. Which is saying a lot because very few of my other pens meet that criteria.

and quite oddly enough - the clip location forces me to hold the pen in a much more natural position for me. I'm not tempted to "choke" the nib as I can be with other pens when in a rush or stressed.

Is it the best pen I own? hmm... no. I still think a Pelikan 200 or higher is better. Largely because of the piston filler and ink capacity. And though I can use it for long periods of time, I can still use my 200s/400s for longer.

But it is one of the very few pens I feel I could own 5 or 6 of and use and enjoy every one of them. The only other pen I feel that way about - yep, the 200/400 series. :)

yeah... not very brief.

After the Sailor 1911M - the next on my wishlist (that's within my budget) would be another VP - preferably the Raden... okay, that's not really within my budget but I can dream, can't I?

well, you asked. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have the F, M and B Nib and IMO the F=XF, M=F and B=M. The nibs are very smooth, but I think they are also quite dry writers.

I'd call the flow about average. Peoples' preference for wetter or juicier flows seems evident by my reckoning.

The thing about the VP's average or dryer than most people seem to prefer flow, is that it is totally consistant and reliable. I can write page after page with fast circles until I tire without skipping a beat! Its flow gives you an entirely different outlook on many ink colors. WM B/B comes out looking like a lovely medium blue rather than the very dark, tending toward dark grey/blue, color that it often assumes with other systems.

Like KCat, I'd like it to be a piston filler, but then, I'd like ALL pens to be piston fillers! :P The only real reason for all the world not to own at least one VP is the clip. :( There are some like my wife, with non standard grips, that just can't abide the VP, and that's that!

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi all...

Besides its unique push-button mechanism, is there something else that justifies its popularity ?

Curious...

or is it just all hype ?

rgds

TMLee

I think the Pilot Vanishing Point is as solid as they come. It's a very smooth writer, well built and very reliable. I usually carry at least 2 pens with me each day and I like to rotate one every 3-4 days, but the VP is one of those that I constantly carry simply because of it's convenience. It's perfect for those whose jobs require quick access to a writing instrument, for example: the medical or law enforcement field.

It's just a convenient fountain pen to have when you need to quickly jot something down and don't want to fuss with removing the cap. Sometimes, you only have one hand available and may need to pick up a pen and write something down. This is where the VP shines and proves it's worth as a superior backup pen.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

hi all..

I just acquired a Pilot Capless yesterday....(feeling very guilty ... read my other thread under multi-pens...)

yes its well built .... heavy ...

but i notice this squeaking sound as the nib glides over the paper.... quite irritating... reminds me of that sharp metal claws on chalkboard torture scene from an old movie spoof which i can't remember now...

rgds

TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I remember that too, you will find that this does go away very soon. You just need to use it some more. No need to worry.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Now here is my short review of this pen:

This pen has become a favorite for its convience.

The nib is very small so if a beautiful big nib is what you like this is not the pen for you. The flow is very dry, I like it a bit juicier but then again having ink come out inside when stored would be terrible. The weight is almost too heavy but not that heavy. It is very easy to use with the clip the way it is. It is old meets new. A great overall pen. When your in a rush but still want to enjoy a fountain pen this is for you. Also great selection of colors.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

but i notice this squeaking sound as the nib glides over the paper.... quite irritating...

Yeah, they all seem to do that when new, but the squeaking does go away.

Enjoy your new pen! :)

What ink were you using that caused that squeak? I think Namiki ink did that for me, but Noodlers doesn't seem to (Black).

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

I'll try to be brief, though it's not in my nature. :meow: . . . yeah... not very brief.

Glad you were "brief." ;) - just funnin'.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

What ink were you using that caused that squeak? I think Namiki ink did that for me, but Noodlers doesn't seem to (Black).

I am surprised by the reports that it's a dry writer. Neither of mine are what I would call dry. Nor are they garden hoses either. Most of my pens are wet writers, I like them that way most of the time. The two VPs are medium flow to me. Without varying which I greatly appreciate. I have pens that write dry... and drier, and...

and then wet writers that gradually go dry...

grr....

not the VPs and not the Pels. always the same no matter what the starting flow is. my fine writes wet enough that Levenger Cobalt still looks very dark and not so wet that Squeteague loses it's subtleties. :)

yeah - squeaking stopped for me when i switched from the Pilot ink that came with it to Noodler's.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Glad you were "brief." ;) - just funnin'.

if I ever am (when giving an opinion) then you know I'm having a bad day.

this answer is short - but that's by choice, not mood. :)

KCat

I really enjoy my VP (may also have to do with its Raden finish :)). The only thing that bugs me is there seems to be no way to find out the current ink level. The converter it came with is solid metal with about 1mm of clear plastic window which is not sufficient to discern the ink situation.

Hi all...

Curious...

or is it just all hype ?

IME, the Namiki VP is excellent for when you need one-handed operation (when I used paper shopping lists, it was the only proper pen (FP) that was convenient in the supermarket), and it is an excellent travelling pen.

For the rest, it is a good FP for not much money, and its only real drawback is the clip position. Not my favourite pen, probably shouldn't be most people's only pen, but a serious pen with unique convenience aspects.

Best

Michael