Jimmy Stewart would understand.

jar

The ST Dupont Vertigo and Vertigo 2.

Back in 1996 ST Dupont introduced the Vertigo line of pens and lighters. They were finished in hand applied Chinese Lacquer in shades of lighter red-orange, red and a dark lacquer that looks black under some light, indigo in other conditions and even a dark brown at times. The pattern was a series of squares with light flecks of the next darker color scattered and spread throughout the lighter areas that catch and reflect light and make it hard to focus directly on the details.

Since the pens were very labor intensive only a small number were made every year and the design was continued from 1996 until 2001, a five year run. Working with natural Chinese lacquer is very difficult. It must be applied by hand in thin layers that are then allowed to dry, each layer smoothed and sanded before the next layer is applied. The end product though is hard and warm with a depth that must be seen to appreciate.

http://www.fototime.com/61F921D373BE791/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/833F8EB2BD606FB/standard.jpg

Five years passed and ST Dupont decided to do a reprise of the design but in a limited run of only 400 pens worldwide.

For the Vertigo 2 they continued the color scheme, the darker material and the lighter shades of red and orange, but instead of squares they adopted an elongated diamond design. Again, hand applied Chinese lacquer was used and it has the same warmth when held the same depth to the lacquer and the same variations of appearance under different lighting conditions.

http://www.fototime.com/BD5215468FC4401/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FC973704435D0DB/standard.jpg

All too often a reprise of a success turns out to be a disappointment, but in this case, ST Dupont succeeded. The Vertigo 2 is every bit as nice as the original and I have a hard time deciding which I like best.

http://www.fototime.com/5EC3B6AABA16B6B/standard.jpg

Edited by MYU

My Website

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• His Nibs

• sexauerw

• humblescribbler

What a greate beautiful quintuplet shot! notworthy1.gif

Thanks from the owner of 193/400 Vertigo II. I'm also privileged to own an Orpheo (Themed Blue) large, and an Orpheo medium black and gold trim. All 3 are astonishing writers. So how are the Vertigo brothers' three friends?

Thanks again for a fun thread start.thumbup.gif

Michael

Thanks, Jar. I enjoyed your informative and beautifully illustrated review. I especially thank you for the historic information about the original. Too often, I learn of a second series of a certain pen and never know anything about the original. Thank you.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

What a greate beautiful quintuplet shot! notworthy1.gif

Thanks from the owner of 193/400 Vertigo II. I'm also privileged to own an Orpheo (Themed Blue) large, and an Orpheo medium black and gold trim. All 3 are astonishing writers. So how are the Vertigo brothers' three friends?

Thanks again for a fun thread start.thumbup.gif

Michael

Tell 193 that 18 says "Hi". :bunny01:

The friends are fine and also send their regards. I'm still trying to capture the real look of the Shaman lacquer, but so far with very little success.

My Website

That's not normally my style of pen, but after reading your description of what went into making it, and looking at it more closely, I can really appreciate it.

That's not normally my style of pen, but after reading your description of what went into making it, and looking at it more closely, I can really appreciate it.

I'm glad. There is an awful lot of hand labor in every ST Dupont item.

Long long ago in a land far far away I had as part of my summer job, waxing wood floors. The man who taught me made me work only on small areas that were out of the general traffic until I could explain why each step was necessary. For example, he'd make me put on a tiny amount of wax in a given area then move on to the next. After I covered the whole area I had to go back to the first area and begin buffing there and follow the exact same route I used when putting down the wax.

I then moved on to the next room and repeated those steps, only to be sent back to the first room to do it all again.

I figured I was getting the typical "Razz the summer job kid" treatment until I skipped a step once. The next evening my boss confronted me. I really thought I had gotten away with it and honestly wondered how he caught me. He took me to the room where I had just put down one heavy layer of wax, then to the room where I had done it right. Both were bright and shiny but the room where I did several thin coats sparkled.

Each layer of wax (or in the case of the ST Dupont, of lacquer) will reflect the light back slightly differently. You can see this in even the single color Chinese Lacquer pens and lighters. The material really has depth and is unlike what you get from plastic or even resin.

It is that attention to even the most minute details in every pen that sets ST Dupont apart.

They make their own nibs and each one is hand fitted and tested.

They use only the finest materials.

The fit and finish of the final product is superb. Cap an ST Dupont pen and you will be sold.

Even if it's not something you might normally consider, if you get a chance, play with a ST Dupont pen. Pay attention when you cap it. Notice how the cap self aligns as you slide it on and how the last quarter inch or so of travel feels and the positive 'click' when it seats in place. Try writing with a few and see how the nib feels on paper, how the pen balances in your hand, how the body warms to your touch.

Even if they turn out to be something just not right for you, I believe you'll be impressed.

My Website

Jar, thanks for this interesting review, is Chinese Lacquer similar to Japanese Urushi?

Best, Hari

Yes. The origin of both is the sap from the Toxicodendron vernicifluum or Chinese Lacquer Tree. The design process differs slightly between the Chinese and Japanese traditions but many things are the same. The lacquer must still dry slowly in controlled temperature and humidity, it can be buffed to either a matte finish or a very high shine, the lacquer itself can be colored to achieve different effects and other materials such as powdered gold, silver, copper and brass added to create patterns or contrast.

If you guys can excuse my lousy photography, here is a close up of the pattern on the Vertigo.

http://www.fototime.com/C5EC72F5FCB3D5F/standard.jpg

My Website

Quite an example of synchronicity! We had neighbors over for coffee today and after discussing Jimmy Stewart (a book on his service during WWII was sitting on my coffee table) and the Jimmy Stewart Museum here in Pennsylvania, I took them into my office to show off some of the pens in my collection.

When I got to the Olympio Vertigo I explained a bit about the history of S.T. Dupont, and that they weren't a pen company per se, but had nevertheless produced -- and continue to produce -- near-perfection in fountain pens.

To help illustrate the point I uncapped the pen, asked them to gather close and said "Listen to this" as I capped the pen. They got it. :thumbup:

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Quite an example of synchronicity! We had neighbors over for coffee today and after discussing Jimmy Stewart (a book on his service during WWII was sitting on my coffee table) and the Jimmy Stewart Museum here in Pennsylvania, I took them into my office to show off some of the pens in my collection.

When I got to the Olympio Vertigo I explained a bit about the history of S.T. Dupont, and that they weren't a pen company per se, but had nevertheless produced -- and continue to produce -- near-perfection in fountain pens.

To help illustrate the point I uncapped the pen, asked them to gather close and said "Listen to this" as I capped the pen. They got it. :thumbup:

Fantastic story and great timing on my part. I had planned to do this comparison earlier but knew your friends were coming over yesterday and so waited. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Your comment about "near-perfection" really is significant and the various products from ST Dupont all exhibit that characteristic. They are not just pretty but appeal to sight, sound and feel. I have heard a rumor that they are trying to add taste and smell as well. :roflmho:

My Website

Fantastic story and great timing on my part. I had planned to do this comparison earlier but knew your friends were coming over yesterday and so waited. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Your comment about "near-perfection" really is significant and the various products from ST Dupont all exhibit that characteristic. They are not just pretty but appeal to sight, sound and feel. I have heard a rumor that they are trying to add taste and smell as well. :roflmho:

So, it wasn't synchronicity...merely your telepathic prowess! :headsmack:

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

So, it wasn't synchronicity...merely your telepathic prowess! :headsmack:

More likely a psychic connection between the pens themselves, kinda like between nearly identical twins.

My Website

Hypnotic! My head is spinning.

Thanks for letting us see such marvels.

Rita

Edited by RitaCarbon

very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• 3 years later...

A simple observation, but a much appreciated one, thanks to your pictures, is seeing the proportions of the pen when the cap is posted. Taking into account any distortion of the photos, I like how far down the cap sits instead of sitting too proud on the end of the barrel.

A well proportioned cigar shaped pen that surely must satisfy!cloud9.gif

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Great review jar! It would be interesting to know how many others have both Vertigos. Here are mine, along with a small Orpheo, the same size as the now discontinued Fidelio.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/NUNzMDkMOV4jzx/3622317.1/1600/p/Geometric_Duponts.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I first saw the Vertigo I in 1997 walking by a display case. It was love at first sight, I did an immediate about face and went back to gaze longingly. But I was not at that point able to pay what it cost.

Still every time I went into that store on Lovers Lane in Dallas I went back to look at that pen, amazed at the detail and the way it would glow and shimmer.

It is still my grail - the pen I want own for the sake of just looking at it. Are they still around? What are the chances I might someday actually own one of those? :notworthy1:

Here's my story. I had seen ads and pictures and thought it looked pretty nice. Then in 2000 I had a chance to hold a Vertigo in a pen shop at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. I fell in love with it but just couldn't afford it at the time. But I never got over it and for years I mentally kicked myself for not buying it. I told a friend at work this story and he told me that he felt the same way, he also lusted for that pen. Then in 2006 I saw an ad for a used Vertigo II at an affordable price. I told my friend about it and I could tell that he really wanted it. So I told him that I would not bid against him, he should go for it. He did and he got it. About two months later another Vertigo-II showed up for about the same price so I decided that this was meant to be and I went for it and got it. So there we were, two engineers in the same factory building owning two of the only 400 Vertigo-II fountain pens in the world. We loved them.

But, the Vertigo-II was not really the Vertigo that I had originally fallen in love with. I still lusted after the original. I saw one at the Los Angles Pen Show in 2011, it had a gorgeous factory stub nib and was in pristine condition. And, of course, priced to match. No matter, I bought it. I had been kicking myself for eleven years for letting that first one get away, I was not going to make that mistake again! So that's how I came to own one of each.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Great review jar! It would be interesting to know how many others have both Vertigos. Here are mine, along with a small Orpheo, the same size as the now discontinued Fidelio.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/NUNzMDkMOV4jzx/3622317.1/1600/p/Geometric_Duponts.jpg

I don't know how many folk might have both but it's probably not a whole passel. I also have the Vertigo lighter to go along with it.

http://www.fototime.com/0747B2581F58114/medium800.jpg

And that brings me to the subject of fakes. I was on eBay one day and found an auction for another of the Vertigo lighters at a great price and about to expire so tossed out a low ball bid. I woke in the morning to find I had won the lighter that was supposedly from an estate sale.

A few days later it arrived and all looked okay at first glance. Then I put the two side by side and it was immediately obvious that one was a fake.

http://www.fototime.com/7C1287FDFFE5D42/medium800.jpg

Had I not already had a real Vertigo I would likely have been doing a happy dance. Instead, when you saw the two side by side, the real one is simply far more detailed, the color deeper, the engraving more precise.

My Website

• 2 years later...

Wow!!!

I have a Large sized Veritigo with the square mint UNINKED and I really like this pen . Now I know why

Keith