Sailor Jentle Ink: Bright Snow

Signum1

Well ink fans, I'm back with another ink review before I disappear into the holidays to pack on the bacon by depleting my share of the turkey and roast beef supply with that hole in my head, guilty free of course.

For today I have the so-call limited ink from Sailor called Bright Snow served up with my finest italic script without the influence of special "grape juice."

The Ink Review

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1072/scannedimage3f.jpg

The Water Test

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/235/img0513rp.jpg

The Gifts to Edison Pens

The photos below are the device you wanted to see that Sailor install into their bottle inks.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1318/img0518vb.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/797/img0520kr.jpg

The top of the device in the bottle of Salior ink.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8571/img0521n.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dashreeve

• loweevan

• PJohnP

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

the cup is a nice idea! However, did you also have a problem filling your Pelikan 200 from it? It seemed not quite deep enough for me to get a full fill with mine, but I haven't given it hardly any attention yet.

Also, thanks for the review of one of the new sailors that I someone wasn't tempted to buy since I've just gotten a lot of light turquoise inks.

Edited by loweevan

- Evan

the cup is a nice idea! However, did you also have a problem filling your Pelikan 200 from it? It seemed not quite deep enough for me to get a full fill with mine, but I haven't given it hardly any attention yet.

That looks identical to the device on the Sailor Sei boku Blue-Black Nano Ink that I just received, and no, it doesn't allow for a full fill on an M200, let alone the 400NN I filled from the bottle. Nice idea for pens with less capacity, but not the "big guns".

John P.

That looks identical to the device on the Sailor Sei boku Blue-Black Nano Ink that I just received, and no, it doesn't allow for a full fill on an M200, let alone the 400NN I filled from the bottle. Nice idea for pens with less capacity, but not the "big guns".

John P.

Looking at the pictures again, it seems that if the holes in the cup were half the size and closer to the top, the problem would be solved. Then again, that puts the holes in the neck of the bottle only and would make it difficult to get ink inside the cup at all, and probably make more bubbles when agitated... Ah well, I'm not really complaining

- Evan

Sailor is adding these reservoirs to three Jentle inks: Black, Blue, and Blue-Black, as well as to Kiwaguro. It comes at quite a cost, however: the Jentle ink MSRP goes from 650 to 1050 yen if you buy the reservoir bottles! The Kiwaguro price may also have increased. I think the original MSRP was around 1600 yen, but now it's listed at 2100 yen.

Signum :

Very very nice ink... By any chance, have you compared it with Pelikan Turquoise ?

And, don't eat so much over the holidays that you can't write more reviews ! :yikes:

John P.

Wait, why is this ink called "Bright Snow" I presumed it was going to be white before I clicked, and I was off!

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

John P.

Hi,

I think they should just put in a widget like the draft Guinness/Boddies' tinnies.

BR

S1 ;~)

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I just received a bottle y'day. I was concerned that my ink population was getting too dark & clunky. I mean really, how many BlBks does a girl need? 1/2 doz? OK then.

The mid-Blues seem so very ho-hum, even though most are beautiful inks.

Previously I'd been cautioned against light / pale inks such as Herbin's Azure, because they were almost too light for normal use. Ah, I misconstrued that as 'one must have a special need'. Also, 'normal use' for some people is what goes on in the workplace or institution. I consistently use Quink BlBk for such things. So emulating 'kushbaby', I do like to use other colours 'off the job' so to speak. (Can you believe that 3 of her pens have been assimilated by the Borg?)

This ink requires an ultra clean pen. So lots of sudsy soaks etc before you even start. OK. Singing in the shower is fine, just close the door & run the exhaust fan.

The ink requires a white smooth paper to be seen at its best. I make do with the Clairefontaine 'Triomphe'. I tried the G Lalo 'Verge de France' which was real good, but I though the texture got in the way. The paleness of the ink and the weight & texture of the paper are contrasting, but don't seem to be complimentary.

Then we encounter the question of coverage. I think a Western/European B nib with line spacing of 7/16" is good; certainly nothing under 3/8". A W/E M nib with lines at 3/8" or 5/16" would be as far as I would take it. I tried a Waterman F and a Rotring F, but the writing just couldn't hold, and drifted away. For such a pale ink, I was surprised at how much blank space it wants. (Hmm)

So I tried a Safari with M nib, Carene M nib, Safari with 1.1 nib, and MB149 with B nib. In all cases the ink ran very well - certainly not a dry ink. Bleeding was non-existent. Safari M nib feathered a tad. All other pens achieved a good line.

For writing at pace, the nuances of the MB B seemed to fade out.(??) The Carene was a bit more expressive. The 1.1 nib got the best expression of the bunch, but I preferred the crispest line - which was from the Carene. With such a pale ink, there can be no room for doubt as to the edge/border of a line. Certainly the top-tier paper helps, and is highly recommended.

As to the colour: I don't have a digicam or a film camera with close-up feature, BUT:

- The colour is not pale turquoise. No way No how. Nope. The colour is a pale peacock blue.

- The colour is very much like Herbin's 'Bleu Azur', as is the density. IMHO, only directly side-by-side could a difference be seen. If one were to write the 1st page of a letter using 'Snow', and the 2nd using 'Azur', I strongly doubt that the reader could tell the difference based on colour alone.

Herbins always want me to write with a Pelikan, with their plump 'water-colour' nibs. But the way 'Snow' feels, I think the Carene nib is fantastic. I also had to try with a Duofold M - really very nice. Ah! Duofold B - oooLaLa! (wiggle toes)

This for me, is not an 'office' ink, but might be OK at school/uni, though likely a tad light for notes you're gonna read over & over; not for fine script. Might be interesting for Profs/TAs corrrecting papers: no one will be offended or have their tender wee psyche trompped on by this colour. It is a uni-sex colour, so to/from either to either gender is OK. (Hmm, it would be nice if they could have a scented version - the scent of fresh falling snow that makes a 'rainbow' with its refraction.) It would be the perfect ink to write me an invitation to go heli-skiing. (Just for the day.)

BR

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.