Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun (bluish dark gray)

woodworker

You can find this review also on my blog Inkyjournal

Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun (bluish dark gray) is a fountain pen ink produced by Pilot. I bought this bottle at Jetpens.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3935699797_ded7f74755_m.jpg

Color

The color is quit nice. I thought I could not love grey color's, because I always thought it is a black with some water. But this color is different. It has a blueish shade in it. It just is a nice color. The shading is from light grey/blue to a moderate grey. For everyday use it is a great color. On Rhodia paper the color is not so nice as on Moleskine paper in my opinion. It kind a fades to much.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3935699381_8116a83235_m.jpg

Writing

As all Iroshizuku inks I reviewed this one also writes like a dream. Just smooth, no problems it just writes great. If you start writing, the first thought that comes to mind is that you think the pen is not flushed right and their is still water in it. But the color tuns out great when dry. I had no nib-creep in my Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point (medium)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3935699235_a3d77b3c9b_m.jpg

Written review

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3429/3935699589_9f8f79d9d6_m.jpg

Can't read it? Here's the translation:

"Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point (medium) filled with Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun.

The color is kind of grey with some blue shading. It looks like a stealgrey. I never had a color like this.

On this Moleskine paper the ink dries quickly. On Rhodia it takes a bit longer. The ink does not feather or bleeds through this paper.

The ink costs about $ 0,45/ml. I like this color. Iroshizuku has a great ink productrange.

Woodworker"

Moleskinefriendly

I think you can call this ink Moleskine friendly. Their was no feathering. With this medium nib Pilot Namiki I had one Moleskine with some real tiny dots coming through on the other side of the paper. But I would still use the other side no problem.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/3935699127_c98edcbae2_m.jpg

I hope you liked this review. Leave a comment or visit my blog for bigger pictures.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnmike1

• redneck6497

• EnviroDAWG2

• reprieve

I bought his ink a couple months a go and at first I was disappointed but I used it for a couple weeks, and the more I used it the better I liked it. It is now in continuous use in one pen or another. In my fine nibed diamond silver Pilot Fermo it is an absolutely perfect match and I receive a lot of compliments from non FP users. Thanks for the nice review I hope it will encourage everyone to give this one a try.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

My only problem with this ink is that it's -30C outside and I don't want to encourage it. The colour is very true for a sky pregnant with ugly weather (although at -30, it's too cold for clouds).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The color is goes to paper way too light. I tried multiple high quality papers. I tried with both a M nib and Music Nib and both showed a faded gray. I am a big fan of Iroshizuku ink, but this one did not suit me.

• 1 year later...

The color is goes to paper way too light. I tried multiple high quality papers. I tried with both a M nib and Music Nib and both showed a faded gray. I am a big fan of Iroshizuku ink, but this one did not suit me.

I thought the same thing. I inked my Sailor 1911 F nib with it. I thought that the flow was much lower than Waterman violet (pretty much the only ink I have used in that pen). Also, it was VERY light. I thought that was perhaps a function of the F nib? I think maybe in a M nib, it might perform better. Any thoughts?

I am using it today a little more for some everyday practical work stuff. Its definitely growing on me. As someone else mentioned somewhere, its like using a pencil. I agree with the posts about using a broader nib. I might try it in one of my 'M Lamys or something.

looks good in my Binder Italifine nib in a Pelikan 400. Great shading and that "pencil gray" look is rather unusual. Might be a keeper

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

I use Fuyu-syogun all the time, for everything from notes and lists to diaries and letters. It's my favorite grey ink--and is the color of Old Man Winter himself!

I have tried this ink several times and I really want to like it but for some reason I can't. Like a commercial I saw recently where the the wife want the husband to eat his fiber the husband retorts "Fiber makes me sad". This ink makes me sad. Just my insignificant opinion. :(

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Got a bottle for wife for Christmas. She loved the color when it came in the Ink Drop. I like it too but I haven't inked any of my pens with it.

I have tried this ink several times and I really want to like it but for some reason I can't. Like a commercial I saw recently where the the wife want the husband to eat his fiber the husband retorts "Fiber makes me sad". This ink makes me sad. Just my insignificant opinion. :(

Funny... I have this ink too and must say that it doesn't do anything for me. It is, yes, by all means an okay ink but the colour IMO has no character, no individuality, it doesn't really say anything. Just boring (however much I love the looks of a sky just before it starts to snow).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

this ink reminds me of JH Gris Nuage. that's actually good, JH is more affordable for me!

thx for the review... and revival.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I have been using this ink more and more (Sailor 1911 F). I am really enjoying it. Surprisingly, though, my first impression of it was a dirty mop. That being said, I think its a great color. There is something about its pencil like qualities that really draws me to it. On the other hand, the Yu-Yake I thought I would like, I just don't. I have it in my Vanishing Point, and rarely use it.

this ink reminds me of JH Gris Nuage. that's actually good, JH is more affordable for me!

thx for the review... and revival.

Interesting comment. In my Pelikan with M or B nib, or uisng the Italifine nib, it's much darker than the Herbin Gris Nuage. I found that ink totally washed out, whreas this, especially on Rhodia paper, is a very dark gray/blue. Also have some fairly decent shading. And in a demonstrator, the pen walls are absolutely clean and ink-free. So far, a very favorable ink and more interesting than black or blue-black

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL