Press Release on the 23ct Palladium nib From Visconti

Bryant

If you have not seen the press release for this nib, here it is...

Visconti introduces the first ever made nib in 23 ct 950 Palladium.

The international classification system lists only four precious metals and their related titles: platinum, palladium, gold and silver. Of these metals Visconti has been producing 18 ct gold nibs, 14 ct gold nibs on a regular basis and years ago also produced Platinum 800 nibs.

The advantages and disadvantages of gold nibs are well-known, while platinum nibs have proven to be excessively stiff. Although a precious metal silver is not suitable to fountain pen nib manufacturing due to the strong corrosion ink has on silver.

Palladium though has very interesting physical features when employed in the production of fountain pen nibs due to its strength and resistance to corrosion and, for these reasons, unlike gold, it can be used almost solid.

Palladium melts at much higher temperatures than gold – 1522°C against only 1063°C – hence it is obvious that any manufacturing process is more difficult and more expensive in palladium. Being more resistant than gold it also has better mechanical features, but it is as the same time more expensive.

Nowadays manufacturing palladium nibs is possible thanks to new metal fusion technologies and to the welding of iridium points.

Palladium has been the fundamental chemical element of 1989 Pons and Fleischmann cold fusion theory.

Main features:

Value: the 23 ct 950 palladium nib is the nib with the highest value ever manufactured in the history of the fountain pen. In other words, it has 95% pure palladium against, for example, 75% of pure gold in an 18 ct gold nib and 58% in a 14 ct gold nib.

Flexibility and Memory: are best possible for any kind of writing, increased of 30% compared to the 18 ct gold nib.

Writing comfort and reliability are guaranteed.

Resistance: to ink corrosion increased up to 100% thanks to the pureness of the material to a point at which no plating treatment is required.

Originality: the palladium nib will render even more exclusive your Visconti, either as collection piece or as a daily use fountain pen.

Broadness range:

XXF (extra extra fine)

XF (extra fine)

F (fine)

M (medium)

B (broad)

BB (double broad)

S ( stub)

OF ( fine oblique)

OM (medium oblique)

OB ( broad oblique)

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Kamiyashi

• Bryant

• kushbaby

Thanks, missed that.

And what's the MSRP on a Palladium nib versus an 18K?

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Ok I must ask.

When will the nibs be available? Are these an option on new pens or is this going to replace the gold nibs? Now I need to find a Visconti pen I want to buy?

I applaud Visconti for making this move. It's pretty smart too since the spot price of palladium is 1/3 the current price of gold. The historic high for palladium is one half of current gold prices.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks, missed that.

And what's the MSRP on a Palladium nib versus an 18K?

I am pretty sure its the same, but I will find out for sure.

Humm! 30% more flex than 18k!

Yeah, we will see... I should have some next week...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Ok I must ask.

When will the nibs be available? Are these an option on new pens or is this going to replace the gold nibs? Now I need to find a Visconti pen I want to buy?

I applaud Visconti for making this move. It's pretty smart too since the spot price of palladium is 1/3 the current price of gold. The historic high for palladium is one half of current gold prices.

They will be released in January, but I will be getting some on my new LE Ripples. Or at least thats the plan. I dont think the plan is to replace. I think its smart to see how it goes, before doing something that drastic.

As for finding a Visconti... I can help there! :)

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

I don't think I need any more help. Looks at the Templari. Thank god it's time to leave for my aunt's house for Thanksgiving.

We were talking about sending you the Bay Area Pen Posse Evil Dealer Award for 2009.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

We were talking about sending you the Bay Area Pen Posse Evil Dealer Award for 2009.

Excellent....

I don't think I need any more help. Looks at the Templari. Thank god it's time to leave for my aunt's house for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, the Templari will be nice with Palladium nib!

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Wow, those would be fun to have.

So they did have platinum nibs after all, it wasn't just a rumor.

Another grail to add to the list.....

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Excellent....

Yeah, the Templari will be nice with Palladium nib!

Would've been nice if they had developed the nib on time to include on the Templari as announced. I guess through the production run, there will be both 18k & Palladium variants?

They will be released in January, but I will be getting some on my new LE Ripples. Or at least thats the plan.

Shoot - time to start socking away money.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Ok. Just bear in mind that Sheaffer's use Palladium in nibs for ages. Possibly Visconti found some new technique to be used but the use of the material itself is not new.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Ok. Just bear in mind that Sheaffer's use Palladium in nibs for ages. Possibly Visconti found some new technique to be used but the use of the material itself is not new.

I think the point was that it'd never been that pure a palladium nib and that making it that pure offered a new feel.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I can't wait until these come out, to say the least~!

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Mmmmmmmmmm. BB might be fun to try. But stubs are so luscious. Wonder how their OBs run?

Oh dang. There goes the pen budget for next year and it's not even next year. Whimper...

Wow, those would be fun to have.

So they did have platinum nibs after all, it wasn't just a rumor.

Another grail to add to the list.....

Yeah, well this press release says they had platinum, but on the Empire it should have had a platinum nib and it came with a 18k, and as far as everyone I have talked to, they have never seen a platinum nib. If someone has... Please speak up... Although I dont think it would be very nice to write with.

Would've been nice if they had developed the nib on time to include on the Templari as announced. I guess through the production run, there will be both 18k & Palladium variants?

For sure, but... If you bought a Templari from me and want to swap the nib out with a Palladium nib, when they are available. I would be more than happy to do that.

Bry

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Visconti introduces the first ever made nib in 23 ct 950 Palladium.

Value: the 23 ct 950 palladium nib is the nib with the highest value ever manufactured in the history of the fountain pen. In other words, it has 95% pure palladium against, for example, 75% of pure gold in an 18 ct gold nib and 58% in a 14 ct gold nib....

They missed the 23 Kt gold Sailor nibs from the Japanese carat wars era.

Mmmmmmmmmm. BB might be fun to try. But stubs are so luscious. Wonder how their OBs run?

Oh dang. There goes the pen budget for next year and it's not even next year. Whimper...

Tell me about the budget. And this morning I see the Bryant Ripple! Down the rabbit hole again!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg