Montblanc Classique MB 144

hcsk8ter

So for all those in the Montblanc forum who requested this review, as well as any other that were curious, here is the handwritten review of the ever popular Montblanc 144.

Please enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

Thanks!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9962/img2141j.jpg

Edited by hcsk8ter

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• Tom Kellie

• Thornton

• River

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree. Its quite understated compared to the 146 and 149.

I've got the full line - Fountain pen, roller, ball point and pencil.

They are great everday pens.

Cheers,

Miguel

It is a nice appealing pen but a little bit too thin for my hand. Thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 7 months later...

do you feel it is too small in the hand?

That's exactly why I got rid of mine. I guess my M1000 has spoiled me :glare:

do you feel it is too small in the hand?

I, too, found it to be too thin. I find the 146 to be perfect. HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• 5 months later...

So for all those in the Montblanc forum who requested this review, as well as any other that were curious, here is the handwritten review of the ever popular Montblanc 144.

Please enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

Thanks!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9962/img2141j.jpg

Where can you get one for $150? I see them going for 379-450!

Fountain pens ~ a stream of consciousness flowing effortless onto paper.

I have one in black and one in burgundy and love both. I enjoy thin pens so the Classiques are perfect for me. As far as prices go, I think I paid $225.00 for the black one which was used and $250.00 for the burgundy which was NOS. For me, they were well worth the price.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I have this pen since 1990 and I love it. I had a medium-large hand size, but I never feel uncomfortable with this pen. I have bigger pens compared to this one, but the 144 is one of my favourites.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Good review of a really great, workhorse of a pen.

I have two full sets in burgundy without pencil, and a full set with pencil in black. I admit to being a fountain pen nut. I fall in love with a pen partly because of looks but most importantly how it fits in my hand. I use my pens. Change inks and pens all the time. The first time i picked up one of the 144 classique fountain pens it just felt like it belonged there. Its a lightweight but rugged pen that lays down enough ink to be as expressive as you want.

Great pen, got mine in 1995. Still writes beautifully but it is due for an serious maintenance (cracked cap, golden ring around the section is faded)

Cheers,

Pierre

I bought my first one, a bordeaux medium in 1983, and have the red ones in fine, medium, broad and stub, and a black fine. I have red and black ballpoints.

Some red ones, on the left:

fpn_1368916546__redpensfullon.jpg

These are the perfect size for me, the larger 146 and 149 fatiguing my hand.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 months later...

The 144 is a great pen! I have one from the 1980's with a single tone 14K finer side of medium nib. The clip ring is marked W. Germany. It is my current daily writer, presently loaded with Montblanc "Red Chalk" (i.e. Leonardo Da Vinci) ink.

• 3 years later...

I have a black/gold 144 with a BB nib, and a sterling silver 144 with an OBB nib. Love them both :)

~ da vinci:

I'm delighted to read this!

I've been thinking about a 144 with either BB or OBB, but never heard of anyone else using that configuration.

Your positive comment is encouraging.

Thank you.

Tom K.

~ da vinci:

I'm delighted to read this!

I've been thinking about a 144 with either BB or OBB, but never heard of anyone else using that configuration.

Your positive comment is encouraging.

Thank you.

Tom K.

Tom,

Given your selfless contributions, I was motivated to revisit my 144/145/Classique collection and thereby reminded myself of a little topic I started sometime ago. Link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/267215-a-minor-collection-of-144145classique-sized-pens/

I still really like these pens, but haven't added many to the collection for some time.

It did remind me that I have a few nib sizes though. I forgot that I had a 90 year solitaire with a BB. Must ink that soon. There is a writing sample of that pen on page 1 of the linked thread.

In the meantime, a picture of the different nib sizes left to right 144 OBB, 144 B, 90 year BB and a 149 BB for scale! The later 90 year BB feels a lot wider than the much earlier 144 BB but I know you like broad!

post-49797-0-17870900-1503943212_thumb.jpg

~ da vinci:

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I wish that Ghost Plane could see this.

Thank you so much for the very helpful link.

The comparative image above is exactly what I've needed.

You've set me to thinking, thanks to this very clear information.

The more that I look at it, the more I love the photo!

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

~ da vinci:

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I wish that Ghost Plane could see this.

Thank you so much for the very helpful link.

The comparative image above is exactly what I've needed.

You've set me to thinking, thanks to this very clear information.

The more that I look at it, the more I love the photo!

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

Welcome Tom. I have actually rekindled my interest in these pens thanks to you and the OP :thumbup:

Thank you Tom K and da vinci

My first Montblanc was a 144 I bought at the Navy Exchange in San Diego in 1992.

Didn't know much about fountain pens back then, certainly nothing about different nib sizes.

I was so glad to finally get my grail pen that I bought what the NEX had, and never thought about the nib size. I think it was a fine or a medium.

Wish I hadn't sold it after buying my 149 eight years ago. C'est la vie.

http://www.ALuckyLifeBook.com

http://www.bobsoltys.com

An Easterner had a nervous breakdown. Wyoming, with its wide open spaces and healthy pursuits, was prescribed as a cure - Clive Sinclair (paraphr).

I've got a lot of fond memories of that dog. - Indiana Jones in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade