Montblanc Burgundy

Pictrix

Trying to get the scan to come out anything close to the color the ink actually is, was exceptionally challenging for this color: Montblanc Burgundy. Even moreso, the comparative samples of other similar colors. In the end, it's fairly close.

This is a completely different color than the Visconti Bordeaux I also reviewed. By comparison to that, the Montblanc is rather faded, and even tends toward a brownish tone. Something along the lines of a dusty, faded, dried rose perhaps. The color has plenty of shading, but does not seem to be very saturated, and the ink itself seems a little watery.

At the same time, the overall look of the ink gives it an "antique" impression.

Montblanc Burgundy does not appear to have any lubrication, and thus can seem a bit "scratchy" with some nibs/papers. Other than that it seems well-behaved, without bleeding or spreading, and due to it's less-saturated color, has little to no showthrough on good paper.

I'm not sure I like the color, I do, and I don't.

Enjoy!

http://www.riorondo.com/fpn/montblanc/MontblancBurgundy.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pictrix

• jgrasty

• chromantic

• georges zaslavsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel the same way about the sepia I just tried

Great Review!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: spelling

Edited by mblover

Informative review. I've got MB Bordeaux in a Waterman Carene Stub this morning and it shades beautifully.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Informative review. I've got MB Bordeaux in a Waterman Carene Stub this morning and it shades beautifully.

I also use MB Bordeaux in a Pilot 74 M nib, and the color has substantially more red to it, and very little, if any brown. I also agree that the shading is exquisite. Has anyone else experienced a red MB Bordeaux?

Brian

Great review! I really like the colour, but it is good to know about its peculiarities.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I didn't know Montblanc made an ink called Burgundy.

Ahh, I wondered if I got things mixed up and then remembered I used the ink review index here to figure out what they called the color :) It's listed as "Burgundy/Bordeaux" here... I don't think there's 2 different colored inks, but with ink colors anymore, I guess you never know!

I didn't know Montblanc made an ink called Burgundy.

Ahh, I wondered if I got things mixed up and then remembered I used the ink review index here to figure out what they called the color :) It's listed as "Burgundy/Bordeaux" here... I don't think there's 2 different colored inks, but with ink colors anymore, I guess you never know!

Yeah, even the box is confusing. There's a least a half a dozen languages on the box, and the only the words "ink" and "bordeaux" make any sense. :P

Thank you for a very good review.

MB Bordeaux is one of my favorite inks. I like to think of it as "pastel" and I agree it has a vintage look when it dries. This ink performs very well in my wet M, B and BB nibs. Even with those nibs, there is some feedback from the paper, which I find very pleasant. I suppose it is not an ink for everyone, but I remain a fan. I hope this is not another ink that MB will discontinue!

Can anybody comment on the similarity of MB or Visconti Burgundy to vintage Skrip Burgundy? I have one pen that that's all I use in, and I'm down to my last two bottles.

Best regards, Ken.

In defense of Montblanc inks in general (which I'd previously put last on my mental list!) I did find a use for the two colors I have on hand (Burgundy and Sepia)... in my Lamy EF. I tried at least one color of every brand I had on hand today (7) to see if anything would let that particular nib act like the EF it is classified as. The two Montblanc inks did the trick-- everything else I had made it appear to write as an F or M.

My one Diamine color (Teal) was an acceptable second.

Who knew?

Guess I'm picky about what I expect out of an EF nib or something...

Just goes to show, that no matter how much you like or dislike a brand or line of ink, somewhere there's a pen (and paper) it works perfect with, as well as a pen it's just awful with. :)

• 7 months later...

What a superb review. Extremely in-depth and I love all the technical testing you've performed, like how water fast the ink is for example. Nice!

I noticed that my local pen shop still has some of this in stock so I may go and purchase some tomorrow. It's got that old school "cartoon" look, if that makes sense.

Cheers

Adam

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

I used this ink for years and always loved it for its color and performance. I still use it although PR Copper Burst and Sailor Red-Brown (now discontinued) have become the inks I use most frequently.

This review of MB Burgundy Red is spot on! I could not agree more with each of the points made, with exception to that of 'lubrication'. I bought some of this one a couple of weeks ago after using the MB Mystery Black and enjoying it. I'm not keen on 'wet' inks and I find the MB inks to be very much to my tastes, so much so that I've just bought some of the Royal Blue today. The bottles though are something else!

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

• 3 months later...

nice review, love the shading! but, i just don't see myself getting any burgundy red other than Diamine Syrah...

• 2 years later...

This is a good review of Montblanc Burgundy.

However, I've been using MB's more recent ink (Burgundy Red) for a couple of weeks now and it appears to be a different ink to the one reviewed above.

It's wetter, it lubricates well, it is not brownish and is decidedly more "burgundy."

If you are after a review of the Burgundy Red check out other reviews on FPN.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it the older or the newer MB Bordeaux? Because I have three older bottles of MB Bordeaux, so I am asking if they have changed the ink formula or not. Thanks for the review :thumbup:

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

I bought a bottle of this 25 years ago after I bought a vintage pen at a thrift shop (which was later stolen). The bottle has traveled with me since then, half-full and unused. A couple months ago, I found an old Parker 45 I'd forgotten I owned (probably left over from school days) in a drawer; it was filled with this ink and, amazingly enough, the ink flowed right away when I tried it.

I flushed and cleaned the pen and refilled it from the bottle. The ink still looks pretty much like your samples here, a bit darker certainly, more like a mulberry color than a burgundy. Not sure what it was called back then, the label only says Montblanc, without naming the color. The bottle is somewhat similar, the cap opening is angled slightly forward.

Finding that pen has rekindled my interest in fountain pens and I just joined up here to thank you for your lovely review.

post-128883-0-87145200-1458414336_thumb.jpg

Edited by parkerguy

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.