Sailor A.S. Manhattaner’s NY Artists Guild: F Nib

darkgreen

I have mused about these pens advertised on JetPens for some time. Could these cheapish plastic and steel versions carry over any of the classy smooth writing characteristics of the legendary Sailor Professional Gear?

So far, no reviews on FPN, so I had my lame excuse to buy yet another pen. (You know how it goes: if there is a good review on FPN – that justifies buying the pen; if there is no review, well someone has to contribute to the greater good and check it out, right? As Dr Seuss put it: “somebody, SOMEBODY has to, you see – then she picked out two somebodies. Sally and me.”)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St2uMO1LKPI/AAAAAAAAABc/aXkNWBYlJPU/s400/Sailor%20Manhat%20pen%20overview.jpg http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St2uMemrScI/AAAAAAAAABk/SS5HBzhQDKw/s400/Sailor%20Manhat%20filler.jpg

I am always on the lookout for a cheap and sturdy pen to use in the chaotic hustle at work and without having too much worry about damage or loss (been there, done that – it really hurts when it’s a quality pen).

My work-horse models: a Lamy Safari (EF nib) and a Platinum Preppy F nib, with cameo performances by a Lamy 2000 EF and occasionally a Pelikan M600 EF that pushes the price-risk envelope. Yes, I like smooth and extra-fine.

I haven’t seen any other low-end Sailor refillable pens and this particular range is borderline kitsch, especially for a dog lover who struggles to project a bit of machismo: there are 5 models, all with a cartoon cat and New York theme, designed by artist Takashi Kuge. They lean towards the “cheeky” and “fun” end of the spectrum, if not quite chic.

Fortunately my chosen model has a relatively conservative appearance: small black cartoon cat heads on a white plastic background – details that are only really clear on close inspection. If you like bright colors, there are red, pink(!) and blue themes as well. If you want to project a love of cats and fun, these are worth looking at.

Easy on-line ordering from JetPens as usual, and prompt delivery.

Packaging; a simple plastic sleeve – that’s OK, keeps the cost down and less rubbish.

The cap has a white “cat head” logo on a black background at the Tassie end that loosely evokes a Mont Blanc cap logo. The black plastic clip has a stylish white dot and holds firmly. The cap screws on to smooth threads.

Ink: Sailor proprietary cartridges (I haven’t tested these) but fits the standard, average-quality screw-mechanism Sailor converter (this point wasn’t clear from the website).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St2uMVmfYeI/AAAAAAAAABo/RtES9FysWQQ/s288/Sailor%20Manhat%20nib%20detail.jpg http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St2ulvIyrjI/AAAAAAAAAB8/4GR0_gp-MWw/s400/Sailor%20Manhat%20nib%202.jpg

Posts firmly. The pen sits comfortably in the hand and feels well-balanced. It feels light but not fragile.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St26TKTk4bI/AAAAAAAAACE/9pemC3EdpH0/s400/P1010414.JPG

Fine F-2 steel Sailor nib has a hint of flex, feels solid and writes smoothly with a consistent “Japanese Fine” / “European Extra Fine” line using Noodler’s Marine Green & Black. There doesn’t seem to be a wider nib option. It tends to run on the dry side, especially if writing fast – but suits me well. It dries out quickly if left uncapped but starts readily fresh out of the cap. The smooth threads and barrel transition are comfortable to grip (unlike a Pelikan, for example) and the barrel diameter is average.

Comparisons: Preppy pens are larger, much cheaper (excellent value), write a wetter, wider “Fine” line and feel more sturdy - but one of mine cracked at the edge of the tight-fitting snap-on cap.

The Lamy Safari is bigger, very sturdy and reliable with an excellent converter - and bold colors – but an unusual grip. It is more expensive (by a few dollars) and would be the pen of choice if I could only have one pen … yes, apparently, there are people out there with just one pen. But I suspect that not many of them are reading FPN, though.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_aWt7vH6NJsI/St2uMmAjO9I/AAAAAAAAABs/Zi5wbj0soq4/s400/sailor%20Manhat%20compare.jpg

Cost $21.00 (includes one free ink cartridge – black)

Cartridges $1.50 a pair: colors black, orange, green, pink (!), sky blue.

Converter: $7.50

Dimensions:

Length capped 5 3/8” – 135 mm

Length uncapped 4 13/16” – 122 mm

Length posted 6 1/8” – 155 mm

Diameter at the threads 7/16” 10.5 – 11.5 mm

Weight loaded (convertor, ink): 15 gm

Overall, a suitable alternative pen for my preferences: light, something different – in a cheeky style, quality focused on the nib, producing an extra-fine line, reasonably priced. It will join my routine rotation for work, despite the risk of derision from colleagues at the “dog’s best friend” end of the spectrum. Now there’s a thought, Sailor: what about a dog theme? Or even a simple stylish non-cartoon model in this price range? Woof!

(*Acknowledgements:

- New Yorker magazine: no implied affiliation (apart from me being a subscriber to that excellent journal) – I couldn’t resist the apt cover, I hope that New Yorker will understand. Cover art by Gurbuz Dogan Eksioglu.

- Dr Seuss quote from “The cat in the hat comes back.”)

Edited by MYU

* Nakaya celluloid M * Nakaya Briar F * Sailor PG M-F * Parker Duofold Jnr F * LAMY Safari EF * Tombow Object F * Lamy 2K EF * Platinum Preppy 0.3 *

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehebert

• georges zaslavsky

• darkgreen

• saketb

I've got to agree that it's a perfectly good little pen - I have the blue one and it writes quite well, is individualistic without being garish, and inexpensive enough that if it grew legs my heart would not break.

Also, nice to know about the converter - since the ink cartridges are expensive and the colors limited.

I have been using one of these pens for about three months. I got one because I read so many good things about Sailor nibs on FPN, and I couldn't afford the more expensive models. I LOVE how it writes. If Sailor produced a line of $20 pens like this in plain colors, they would probably sell tons of them. The pen body itself is a little small, so I write with the cap posted. I was a little worried that posting the cap would scratch at the decal/cat image, but that has not been the case. Great pen!

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this great review since so many other Sailors have been recently reviewed/discussed. I think it's important for people to know that they can try a terrific Sailor nib for only $21!

I would be a little wary. My 'cat pen' has been nothing but trouble. It is a dry writer, even with Sailor ink, and when I switched to Waterman, P.R., or any other major brand, it skipped like crazy. I think that quality control on these pens is lax. I have had better results on the cheap end of the Sailor spectrum with the Recruit and even the Ink Bar.

• 2 weeks later...

oh, a perfect gift for someone I know! :meow:

grr, it's out of stock... oh, well... I have a deadline of few months to get it! :lol: I hope it's available soon...

Edited by sk2yshine

• 3 months later...

I flushed my F-2 nib out with water, then flexed out the nib a bit to open up the feed. It now writes flawlessly with Sailor Nano Ink cartridges. The nibs might just need some adjusting to live up to their potential.

Nice review and nice looking pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 10 months later...

I bought 2 of these pens (in fact my first fountain pens) and also had issues with scratchiness. Flushing the nib really made an improvement. One I use with a converter and Noodlers Ink - some improvement, but these pens both seem to be a little bit fussier as to what paper I use. But generally, I do really like these pens - the size is perfect for me - and they are very cute :meow:

Either write things worth reading about - or do things worth writing about.

Gee whiz, now you've got my attention. I'll have to dig out that one I bought a year or two ago, flush it, floss the tines and try some Noodlers Eel ink in a converter. This sounds like a perfect pen for work. Thanks for bumping it up and catching my attention. Jim

• 8 months later...

Very nice review!!!!

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

pretty nice pen :thumbup: congrats on the pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Well written review. An easy, on the pocket pen!!

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush