The SECOND Charity Auction to Benefit Cherished Creations Begins Now!

bgray

First off, I would like to thank everyone for a successful auction of the Huron last week. We raised a little over $1,500 in bids and donations. I'm blown away with the generosity! Let's keep it going this week!

I am proud to begin the auction thread for the SECOND of two Edison Pens to benefit Cherished Creations.

I will state that the Fountain Pen Network is simply hosting the auction. While the FPN supports the cause, it does not have any active part in the conduct of the auction, and cannot be held responsible for any issues arising from participation.

If you have not read the original thread announcing this charity auction, please go here…

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p;#entry1201846

This thread will explain what the charity is all about. Cherished Creations (a 501-C-3 Non-Profit Corporation) accomplishes some wonderful things for seriously-ill and underprivileged children. I would like to donate my talents to benefit these children.

www.cherishedcreations.com

If you are interested in simply making a donation of any size without bidding on the pen, I do encourage it. If you would like to Paypal, my address is brian@edisonpen.com. Also, please don’t worry about Paypal fees. I will donate the full amount paid, and the Paypal fees that I incur will be a part of my donation to the charity. If you would prefer to send a check, email me at the same address, and I will send my mailing address. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt from me. Of course, if you would prefer to donate directly to the charity, you can do this, as well. Remember that even small donations will add up quickly.

So the pen that is up for auction is the bulb filling #76. What makes this pen unique is that the barrel is a translucent amber material, inspired by the early Postal Pens. This pen is made from a black rose acrylic, with an amber translucent barrel. Unless I’m mistaken, I’m the only modern pen manufacturer that is producing a bulb filler. This pen is truly one-of-a-kind, in that no other #76 will have the "Edison Pen Co/Cherished Creations" engraving.

The bulb filler is remarkable in that it offers a self-filling mechanism that fills the pen fast, and is also very maintenance free. There are no parts to fail, with the exception of the sac, which certainly will last for many many years, and is very easily replaced.

The reservoir also offers huge ink capacity, at around 2.5 to 3 mL.

This pen will come with an 18k gold Edison nib of the customer’s choice. F, M, or B, with the option of any custom italic grind.

76Bulb1.jpg

76Bulb2.jpg

76Bulb3.jpg

Here is a video showing the pen being filled....

The bidding on this pen will start at $200.

DO NOT POST BIDS WITHIN THIS THREAD! IN ORDER TO RETAIN ANONYMITY, PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR BID, AND I WILL POST THE AMOUNT WITHIN THE THREAD.

So to bid, do the following….

Send an email to…

brian@edisonpen.com

Include the following….

1. Amount of bid

2. Full name

3. Phone number

I welcome comments and any other posts within this thread, but please refrain from bidding in this thread. Send bids to my email.

This auction will end on Friday at 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time. The highest bid received before that time will win the pen. The winning bidder will receive a tax-deductible receipt for the full amount bid, minus the retail value of the pen.

Presentation of the funds raised through donations and the auction will be at the New York City Pen Show on October 9th .

If you have not already done so, please read the original thread that announced this auction. This thread will tell you all about the charity, and the wonderful benefit that the organization provides to children.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p;#entry1201846

If you plan on participating, I would like to ask you to consider the charitable cause and the great benefit that your money and my talent can accomplish for seriously ill and underprivileged children.

LAST THING - with the last auction, a generous member of the FPN donated a very nice pen that was given to the second place bid. The same will happen with this auction, but I'm not ready to announce this pen yet.....stay tuned, as I will announce this pen within a few days.

Thanks!

Brian at Edison

Edited by bgray

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• brianw06

• rroossinck

• penspouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bump to the top and as with the other auction, I will match

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

Brian:

Way out of my bottom-feeding price range, but I have to say that is an astonishingly pretty pen. And I love that you are tipping your hat to the bulb filler--I love 'em. Thanks for doing this!

ron

Brian:

Way out of my bottom-feeding price range, but I have to say that is an astonishingly pretty pen. And I love that you are tipping your hat to the bulb filler--I love 'em. Thanks for doing this!

ron

Great cause offer sent :embarrassed_smile:

Bidding is currently at $500.

To bid, please email brian@edisonpen.com

Please include your bid amount, full name, and phone number.

Thanks!

a gentle bump

A bump to the top and as with the other auction, I will match

Free Bump, there is nothing I like more than signs that there are still good people in the world. Seems a lot of them collect and use fountain pens though. Coincidence? :)

LAST THING - with the last auction, a generous member of the FPN donated a very nice pen that was given to the second place bid. The same will happen with this auction, but I'm not ready to announce this pen yet.....stay tuned, as I will announce this pen within a few days.

Brian, forgive me if I'm playing this card too early, but hopefully this will spice things up a little bit.

After reading through these threads and watching the generosity unfold in the last auction, I was floored by the way FPN'rs came out of the woodwork for a great cause like this. $1500-ish was raised by the last auction, and while my finances don't permit me to bid...I do have something to contribute.

How'd you like to own the FIRST pen ever made under the Edison banner? Well...here's your chance. I'm donating a very special pen, the very first pen ever to be made under the name Edison. There's a neat story that goes along with this one, too.

Brian and I have been friends for a long time, and I've really enjoyed watching his talents grow and been inspired by his new ideas for pens, filling systems, materials...all that good stuff. Well, back in March-ish of 2008, Brian and I were on the phone talking about pens and what he was going to do next for Pencraft, when he asked me, "I've been considering changing the name of my company to The Edison Pen Co.; what do you think?" After he explained his reasons behind it, I told him that I thought it was a great idea, and that he should waste no time in doing so. He apparently took my feedback to heart, because shortly thereafter, the name change was finalized and Pencraft became Edison.

After that phone call happened, I was doodling while paying half-hearted attention to the TV and for whatever reason, I started drawing lightbulbs (I'm not kidding). Something clicked, and I glanced at my desk, where there happened to be a Schmidt screw-in nib unit laying there. A few rough sketches later, I had a lightbulb with a nib in it, and I sent it to Brian and said, "Hey...whaddya think of this as a logo?" He loved it! After playing with the idea for a little bit together, and pulling a favor from a great graphic artist friend of mine here in Des Moines, we had it digitized and I sent it off to Brian, who started using it.

He made me a Glenmont (one of the original models) as a thank-you, and to commemorate the new logo. This is what it looks like.

http://www.roossinck.com/brassing/edison/glenmont.jpg

I've enjoyed it very much since it was given to me, but because I really didn't want to risk dropping it or marring the finish of such a beautiful pen, it spent most of its life on my desk or in my pen chest. When Brian brought these Cherished Creations fundraisers up and started the auctions, I felt that this pen would be better served by returning it to Brian in hopes that it'll help him raise more money for these kids. So, I talked with Brian about it on Friday, and here's what's going to happen.

The pen is currently en route to Brian. He's going to have the barrel engraved like he has with the other two pens on auction, but he's also going to do something special for this particular pen, too. As you can see, the finial is white; when it's done, though, it's going to have the Edison logo engraved in the top, and backfilled black so it'll stand out a little. It should look absolutely awesome when it's done. And, since he's not making this style of Glenmont anymore, this is truly a one-of-a-kind piece with a lot of meaning for both of us (and hopefully, the new owner).

So...who does this one go to? It goes to the second-place bidder. C'mon...empty out the wallets, folks. Y'all can squeak out some money for kids, right? I believe the bidding is at $450 right now...let's kick it up a notch or 3!

Brian, if there are details that I've left out, or that you'd like to add...please feel free.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Excellent, Ryan! Thanks for posting!

The only thing to add is that I'm unsure if the Edison Pen/Cherished Creations engraving will go on the barrel. Sometimes the laser burns the white striped highlights on some materials. I'll need to do some tests first.

But everything else is spot on. The Edison Logo (same as my avatar) will on on the cap of the pen.

Infilled in black, it should look pretty cool.

And Ryan is right. This pen is pretty neat considering the genesis of my company.

When I started to increase sales, and considered this as full time, I ditched Pencraft, as I felt that it was too "crafty", or "craft-show-ish".

Ryan came up with a great logo, and this pen was payment for his efforts on that logo. So this pen really does have a lot of meaning to me and other Edison fans.

So this pen will go to the second place bid. The engraving will be done before Friday, and I'll post pics.

Thanks, Ryan.

Edited by bgray

:notworthy1: and another comes out of the woodwork.... the generosity of the people on this board is astounding...

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files