Swan Self-filler, in emerald green snakeskin celluloid

waishiu

I picked up this pen a little while ago from an auction site. It’s my first Swan and I am duly impressed by it. The pen packs a lot of goods in its 5 inch body – the first thing I noticed was its vibrant emerald green celluloid, in snakeskin design. Its previous owners must have kept very good care of the pen, because there are only few scratches on the cap, and almost none on the barrel. Surface luster on the backside of the cap has worn off a bit, but the barrel is still very shinny. The Swan imprint on the barrel is clear and distinct, so is the Swan logo on the clip.

The pen came without a sac, so I dipped it for a test run. Its no.1 nib is visually proportional to the size of the pen. But this little guy can pack a big punch in that, its fine line can easily and controllably spread to broad with just a bit of pressure applied. And I am just as impressed by the smoothness of the nib too. This Swan has got me intrigued about English pens. I’d definitely get a few more for my collection.

post-28315-1250903263_thumb.jpg

post-28315-1250903318_thumb.jpg

Edited by waishiu

Pens in rotation: Parker 51 DJ, Wyvern herringbone w/ deco band

Pens looking to buy: Lamy Dialog 3 XF, Swan Visofil V Series

Pens I'm selling: Pelikan 140 OM, Lamy Al-Star M, Hero 100 Flighter F

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• waishiu

• kazushizuku

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So pretty!

All but one my Swans are black and plain (the other is gray) and have either No. 2 or No 4 nibs, so I'm curious about the No. 1 nib and how it writes. :) You got yourself a really good pen by the looks of it, though. :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/shuju_the_red/pic/0001f13z/s320x240   "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

So pretty!

All but one my Swans are black and plain (the other is gray) and have either No. 2 or No 4 nibs, so I'm curious about the No. 1 nib and how it writes. :) You got yourself a really good pen by the looks of it, though. :)

Thanks Kazushizuku! Yes, I think I got myself a good find.

I'd try to post a picture of a (dip) writing sample in the next day or so.

Thanks Kazushizuku! Yes, I think I got myself a good find.

I'd try to post a picture of a (dip) writing sample in the next day or so.

Two out of my four are sacless as of now --haven't had the tools (and sacs) and the confidence to re-sac-- so I've been using the two as dip pens, hehe. The feed holds enough for whole sentences at a time. Pretty cool. :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/shuju_the_red/pic/0001f13z/s320x240   "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

I have almost the same pen it seems, a few differences. The top of the cap on mine is slightly different (try to get a picture tomorrow) and mine has a #2 nib.

My Website

Some pictures of another Swan Snakeskin.

http://www.fototime.com/CA4CD0428966EF7/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/9C3B6524C2CF9A9/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F694A358126AF2D/standard.jpg

My Website

Some pictures of another Swan Snakeskin.

Jar, this is really cool... Your pen and mine look like they belong to the same line and same design. But I wonder why Swan would allow those differences -- on the section, the lever, and the ends. My pens says at the barrel end "SM 100/84". What does yours say?

And, this is a (dip) writing sample of its no.1 nib:

post-28315-1251056395_thumb.jpg

Yup, quite a few differences. Mine simply says:

'Swan' Self-filler

Mabie, Todd & Co. Ltd

Made in England

and has a #2 nib.

Mine has the same imprint at the middle of the barrel too (plus the Swan trademark to the left of it). But the pen also has "SM 100/84" at the barrel end, right next to the blind cap.

BTW, it is 126 mm long capped, w/ a barrel diameter about 11 mm at where the lever is.

Jar, Does yours have an imprint at the barrel end, and how do the dimensions compare?

Yup, quite a few differences. Mine simply says:

'Swan' Self-filler

Mabie, Todd & Co. Ltd

Made in England

and has a #2 nib.

Mine has the same imprint at the middle of the barrel too (plus the Swan trademark to the left of it). But the pen also has "SM 100/84" at the barrel end, right next to the blind cap.

BTW, it is 126 mm long capped, w/ a barrel diameter about 11 mm at where the lever is.

Jar, Does yours have an imprint at the barrel end, and how do the dimensions compare?

No imprint other than as mentioned.

Length capped about 124 mm and diameter of about 11 mm. The length difference certainly appears to be in the cap and bottom of the body.

I know where you are looking for that imprint, for example a twist fill Swan I just retired from rotation is a 4220 but I've checked mine pretty well including using angled lighting to see if there was a worn imprint. Nothing there.

edited to insert requisite spalling arrers.

Edited by jar

My Website