Custom Varuna

NABodie

Ok here is my first fountain pen review so take it easy on me here. This is an Indian eyedropper sent to me from Steve Braun. I believe he says it is called a Varuna. The pen is made of black hard rubber, and is very minimalistic in appearance. A simple plain silver washer clip adds the only furniture to it. A very plain writing instrument with a simplistic classic elegance to it. The Varuna seems to be quite solidly built, maybe a tad on the light side but not overly so. Size wise it is about the length and girth of a Parker 51. The cap posts well and writes very comfortably in this position. It is equally comfortable when it isn’t posted.

I was most surprised to find the stainless steal fellowship nib to be buttery smooth and puts down a consistently wet line as it glides along the page. I really don’t know why this surprised me as I have written with several nibs Steve has smoothed and they are all wonderful. I have had this pen for several weeks now and it has always started as soon as it touches the paper. Even when I have let it sit for a week or so it starts right up every time it touches the paper. Nothing fancy to them, no flex, no italic, just a nice smooth fine point.

It has an eyedropper filling system, as simplistic as its looks. Just unscrew the section and fill it up. I didn’t measure the amount of ink it holds but it is no doubt a large amount for a pen of this size. A little silicon grease on the threads and I have had no leaks, no issues out of it.

I have had several of these pens in hand and have found them to be very reliable pens to carry and write with. They have always started right up even when they have been left sitting for weeks. The only thing I have seen on these is the need to clean them out before their initial use, but is that really that big of a deal? No more than having to flush a major brands nib with soapy water to get the oils out. For $35 these are great pens, and if the capacity of an eyedropper isn’t appealing to you I understand a converter can be fitted into most of them at a very reasonable price.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3818555533_3dc3806d52_o.jpg

1. Appearance & Design 9/10

2. Construction & Quality 8/10

3. Weight & Dimensions 8/10

4. Nib & Performance 9/10

5. Filling System & Maintenance 8/10

6. Cost & Value 9/10

7. Conclusion 52/60

Edit for correct name

Edited by NABodie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NABodie

• Chthulhu

• AllWriteNow

• WendyNC

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a great pen at a great price. Is it brown or is it just the lighting and my monitor?

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

That looks like a great pen at a great price. Is it brown or is it just the lighting and my monitor?

I have actually been surprised at how much I enjoy this pen. It is jet black in color.

Norwood

Thank you for the very nice review.

I'm really glad you like it.

Just to note:

This is a "one-off" pen.

In as much as the Varuna pens are handmade by one gentleman. We can make custom designed pens to your specifications.

Thank you

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg