Hero 70

ZeissIkon

First Impressions (7/10)

A slender pen that came in a faux-velvet sleeve by way of shipping protection inside the bubble envelope, I had to instantly uncap to see the nib (I’ve never seen a high resolution photo of this double nib style). Understated and quite nice looking, wouldn’t be at all out of place in a high level executive setting.

Appearance (7/10)

The combination of matte black main finish, bright chrome furniture and section, and translucent white jewels makes for a nice, elegant appearance that wouldn’t look out of place with a $2000 suit. The only marking on the outside of the pen is HERO and 70 around the edge of the cap, and HERO stamped into the clip; the filler shell has Chinese characters that I presume mean Hero as well.

Design/Size/Weight (6/10)

The pen is very slender for my hands, about as small as I can grasp readily due to my arthritis, but unlike my other very slender pen (Huashilai 2375) this one has a weight that seems proportional to the size due to a very thin cap and barrel (it’s metal under the matte finish, just very thin metal). More on the two-sided nib in a moment, but this is a fountain pen that seems designed to lend to ball point users, while still giving a fountain pen experience to those who understand liquid ink and nibs with slits.

Nib (8/10)

This is the first pen I’ve examined or handled with a double nib. I’ve heard this type described this way and never realized it was meant literally. Similar to that on the Parker 180 or Sheaffer Stylist, this is two actual nibs mounted together, each with a shallow channel milled on the inner surface as well as the usual slit. There’s a sort of feed or hood on each surface, so the nib has access to ink both feeding between the two stainless layers and on both outer faces. Because the interface between the two layers acts as a slit in the tipping ball, the pen actually writes with the nib at any angle to the page -- flat, on edge, or any position in between, with the same line at all positions and the same ink flow even when held intentionally at 45 degrees, precisely between slits. With this ability to write in any position and the extreme stiffness of the nib, any ball point user should be able to simply pick this pen up and write -- without harm to the nib, and without frustration due to being off the sweet spot.

Filling System (8/10)

I’ve heard complaints about the Hero version of an aerometric filler, but this one works as it should, possibly because I just read a thread suggesting one needs to both squeeze and release quickly for correct operation (i.e. to get the bulk of both air and ink flow through the breather tube rather than through the nib). Three squeezes and the transparent sac was filled to the top of the breather tube, about 3/4 capacity or a little more -- a total quantity of ink comparable to a long cartridge or large piston converter, or most lever or button fillers with sacs, though less than a native piston filling system by a bit.

Cost and Value (10/10)

I paid a dollar and a quarter including shipping for this pen -- I can only presume this is a loss leader for the seller (caleen6, apparently affiliated with ghostshow), because shipping from Hong Kong can’t have cost that little. The only way this pen could have been a better value would be to have it completely free or include a bottle of ink or some such.

Conclusion (46/50)

It’s not Montblanc or vintage Parker or Sheaffer, but this pen has some novelty value, writes well, ought to hold up to abuse that would destroy conventional nibs, and looks good. I don’t expect a lot of finish durability at this price, but the sac is accessible and the nib ought to be the next best thing to bulletproof; it’s actually possible this pen could last generations like the American classics have done.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZeissIkon

• RLTodd

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

thanx for the review. i often wonder about this pen, but never bought it. if i can can get it that cheap...???!!!

enjoy it!

thanx for the review. i often wonder about this pen, but never bought it. if i can can get it that cheap...???!!!

enjoy it!

Do an eBay search for "Hero 70" and/or "Hero 70-L" (the latter seems to be the same pen with blue instead of black finish). Look for free shipping, and sellers caleen6 or ghostshow (no affiliation but that of a happy repeat customer). I should add to the review that on some paper, the pen is a tiny bit scratchy unless held between the slits (an angle that would make a conventional nib either scratch terribly or just quit writing), but I expect this will smooth out over time, or I can brown bag the pen if needed. This type of nib isn't adjustable the way a conventional one is, but doesn't seem to need it.

Looks like a slightly upmarket, or downmarket, version of the Hero 360 that isellpens has for sale.

Much less chrome, matte finish instead of gloss, but probably functionally identical (and not much different price, by the time we allow for his markup). Hero also has (or had) the 01 with this nib type, it was reviewed here a while back.

It's not going to replace a conventional or hooded nib for fountain pen users, but it's certainly got a place.