Noodlers Baystate Blue

penguinmaster

Disclaimer: This is a handwritten review with one pen. The color may not always match perfectly what you see in your pens or on your screen. I try very hard to color match as much as I can with my reviews, but I cannot account for all variables. If there are huge discrepancies please discuss in the thread!

Check this ink out and more at my site: Pens and Ink

http://facstaff.uww.edu/pellizzt/ink%20reviews/Noodlers%20Baystate%20Blue.jpg

Edited by penguinmaster

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penguinmaster

• jpr

• Lloyd

• jakespeed

Even with all the bad press this ink has gotten, I couldn't resist getting a bottle. I've a pen inked up with it for a few weeks now with no problems, and I absolutely love the color. One of my new favorites.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Great ink, but it smells absolutely toxic when using it! I sometimes get a headache when writing for a long time.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Anyone tried this ink in a Vanishing Point? It seems to me that a VP would be a safe home for a risky ink.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Very Nice review, now if I could just get over my "problem" with blue ink, I might give this one a try.

Regards

Piracy: n. Commerce without its folly-swaddle. Just as God made it. Ambrose Bierce.

Anyone tried this ink in a Vanishing Point? It seems to me that a VP would be a safe home for a risky ink.

Um, This review was written with a Pilot VP...

Personally, the deep blue color was a siren song for me. I have a bottle on order from Todd at ISellPens.com and I eagerly await its arrival!

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

One has to consider how to clean up after the ink. It will be diluted some by water, but does not get washed away completely. It ignores soap. Bleach would be a very poor choice for any fountain pen parts.

Just sayin' - I finished my first cartridge (loaded by syringe) this afternoon and had a difficult time cleaning things up. It does not so much stain things as leave a colored coating on them which is difficult to remove. Every drop "stained" the sink, no matter how dilute. Easy enough to clean up with cleanser, but still a hassle. Soap and water will not clean it off. Nor will soap and water clean out your pen.

I shudder to think of what would have happened had this pen been a piston filler.

It is a truly fantastic ink, color, behavior and all, but truly a horror to clean up.

~ Rainwalker

To be honest, I am a little nervous about using it in a piston/crescent filler. The pen that I've been using it in thus far has a converter, and when I did switch inks, it took a couple extra rinses to get all the coloring out, but eventually the water out of the section and converter ran clear.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

To me BB seems a bit too bright for comfort, but the dangerous rep almost has me ordering some.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

So THAT'S why 4 hours of sleep isn't enough for me....

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

So THAT'S why 4 hours of sleep isn't enough for me....

:roflmho:

That's ok Lloyd. Most days, 8 hours sleep isn't enough for me.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

One has to consider how to clean up after the ink. It will be diluted some by water, but does not get washed away completely. It ignores soap. Bleach would be a very poor choice for any fountain pen parts.

Just sayin' - I finished my first cartridge (loaded by syringe) this afternoon and had a difficult time cleaning things up. It does not so much stain things as leave a colored coating on them which is difficult to remove. Every drop "stained" the sink, no matter how dilute. Easy enough to clean up with cleanser, but still a hassle. Soap and water will not clean it off. Nor will soap and water clean out your pen.

I shudder to think of what would have happened had this pen been a piston filler.

It is a truly fantastic ink, color, behavior and all, but truly a horror to clean up.

It is a tough one to clean out, but by no means impossible. I couldn't completely flush all the ink out in one sitting though, I had to split up into a process over 4-5 days. I'd flush out until the water went clean (~15 times), then filled it up with water to leave it sitting for a day. Then, I would flush that water out, and go through the same process of flushing out until the water went clear, then filled it up with water again. Repeat that for a couple of days. :) The nib on mine was stainless steel, and at first the BSB was stubborn and refused to be wiped clean from the nib, but after the process of flushing + refilling with water, the stains on the nib went away :)

I've been wanting to buy this ink for some time now but there are no clear opinions and real life experiences

that have swayed me either way. Why such diverse experiences? I mean, we all have either piston fillers or

cartridge converters but no majority from either camp can give a definitive positive or negative view.

Does this ink really behave erratically from bottle to bottle? I know that there is a consensus about staining

sinks while flushing out, but thats about the only consensus I can gather from most of the users of this

beautiful blue.

Edited by jpr

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

I've been wanting to buy this ink for some time now but there are no clear opinions and real life experiences

that have swayed me either way. Why such diverse experiences? I mean, we all have either piston fillers or

cartridge converters but no majority from either camp can give a definitive positive or negative view.

Does this ink really behave erratically from bottle to bottle? I know that there is a consensus about staining

sinks while flushing out, but thats about the only consensus I can gather from most of the users of this

beautiful blue.

I think it's so erradatic in it's opinions because everyone has a different tolerance for the qualities of this ink. Some can accept the precautions that go along with the ink, some cannot. Each group has their opinion, and both are valid. I wouldn't say the ink is any different bottle to bottle though.

-Tom

I think it's so erradatic in it's opinions because everyone has a different tolerance for the qualities of this ink. Some can accept the precautions that go along with the ink, some cannot. Each group has their opinion, and both are valid. I wouldn't say the ink is any different bottle to bottle though.

-Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom. What I was really wondering was that why the spectrum of positive and negative experiences

are to the extreme. Some say super positive while others, super negative. There isn't a whole lot of middle ground.

Thats what I'm really worried about in making my decision to buy the ink.

I don't mean for it to sound like a federal case but I have invested too much in my pens to roll the dice, so to speak.

On the other hand, the color is just too damn spectacular not to consider. :gaah:

And, buying a cheap pen and experimenting really isn't going to work since, as evidenced by all the examples on FPN,

the reaction of different FPs to the ink are extreme either way. :bonk:

-Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom. What I was really wondering was that why the spectrum of positive and negative experiences

are to the extreme. Some say super positive while others, super negative. There isn't a whole lot of middle ground.

I don't mean for it to sound like a federal case but I have invested too much in my pens to roll the dice, so to speak.

On the other hand, the color is just too damn spectacular not to consider. :gaah:

And, buying a cheap pen and experimenting really isn't going to work since, as evidenced by all the examples on FPN,

In that case, I think the best thing to do if you're set on trying BSB, is to try the path already taken---shuffle through all the past BSB threads on FPN, and see which pens have been deemed by multiple people to be "safe" for use with BSB. It's not just cheap FP that are being paired up with BSB, some have tried it in expensive pens and have been fine.

-Tom

In that case, I think the best thing to do if you're set on trying BSB, is to try the path already taken---shuffle through all the past BSB threads on FPN, and see which pens have been deemed by multiple people to be "safe" for use with BSB. It's not just cheap FP that are being paired up with BSB, some have tried it in expensive pens and have been fine.

Good idea. The other idea if have for those that are worried about the ink staining their pens during the filling process is to use a syringe to fill the converter or cartridge if possible. That's what I have been typically doing. That way the most it stains if it does is the feed (which is black normally anyways, and the converter which I could care less about.

-Tom

By trying it with cheap FPs, I meant doing what some people did which is to buy cheap pens and then seeing how BSB reacted to the pen.

I didn't mean that only cheap pens were used with BSB.

But, you give a good suggestion. I will try and see what pens were ok to be used with BSB.

Thanks Oceansportrait. :)