Noodler's Midway Blue

Mongo

This is a review of Noodler's Midway Blue ink.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/dmoeller60/Midway%20Blue/Midway-Blue-bottle.jpg

Midway blue is a dark, true blue when wet. When it dries it's definitely still blue, but the hue leans slightly toward green. (I've matched the images in this review as closely as I can to the original pages, but there are too many variables to assure that you'll see the same colors as I do.)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/dmoeller60/Midway%20Blue/Midway-Blue-bagasse-b.jpg

The pen used for this review (a Levenger True Writer with a medium nib) is a wet writer. Midway Blue is a wet ink, and the combination puts down a lot of ink. This combination caused feathering and bleed-through on the Staple's "eco-friendly" bagasse paper. Writing on the same paper with a broad-nibbed Esterbrook does not have these issues.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/dmoeller60/Midway%20Blue/MIdway-Blue---HPPremium-c.jpg

Using the same pen on HP Premium Choice Laser paper, there was no feathering or bleed-through.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16/dmoeller60/Midway%20Blue/Midway-Blue---Moleskine.jpg

As with the HP paper, feathering and bleed-through were not issues in my Moleskine notebook. On this paper (and a few others that I tried) the medium-nibbed Levenger writes as wide as a broad-nibbed Esterbrook

I've used this ink exclusively at work during the past week to become familiar with it. I've found that the choice of pen and paper are very important, as the wrong combination can lead to feathering and significant bleed-through. I like the color enough that I know I'll use it in the future. Unless I can control the paper on which I'll be using it, I won't be putting it into any wet writers.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Be well.

Dave

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongo

• Bill Smith

• dcwaites

• Inka

Are these new V-Mail inks waterproof at all?

I also find it interesting after seeing some of these reviews of these inks, that they show that many [if not all] can change colors as they dry.

If this information has already been posted about water-resistance I'd appreciate Links, as I'm too sore and too tired to do any Searching right now.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

They're not waterproof, but they are water resistant. Under fast running water for five minutes, the Midway Blue got significantly lighter but was still very much there. In the same circumstance North African Violet didn't appear to change color at all, though a little bit of ink did turn the paper a very light violet color. I'd not hesitate to use either for addressing mail. None of the V-Mail inks are bulletproof or eternal. I hope this helps.

-- Dave

Edited by Mongo

I am really liking this colour, question will the V-mail series be widely available or will it be an exclusive with one retailer only?

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

They're not waterproof, but they are water resistant. ... I hope this helps.

-- Dave

Definitely helpful when deciding on buying new inks, so many thanks Dave!

:thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Mongo,

Thank for for your very thorough review. I was waiting for someone to do one (I don't know why I didn't just do one). You're experience is similar to mine. Except I found in wet writer that it bled through Apica CD-15 paper; Bagasse & Hammermill.

I would say for all who are considering buying this: it a beautiful blue color, but it really does bleed through majorly on all types of paper I tried. But that was with a wet pen. I probably will only be using this ink with very fine nibs.

What really amazes me is that it handles totally different from another in this series: Mandalay Maroon.

Anyway, have fun with it. :)

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Thanks for the very complete review of this new inK. Very nicely done, the different papers and pens. Thank you, thank you!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

I am really liking this colour, question will the V-mail series be widely available or will it be an exclusive with one retailer only?

From talking to the distributor and Nathan these inks will be sold by more than just one retailer. I believe these inks have already been shipped to the U.S. Distributor and should start appearing at more stores and web sites very soon. We do not have an "exclusive" on these inks, we just offered to help introduce them to the public to see if there would be enough interest to make this a regular offering by Noodler's. Seeing as how we have just place a 3rd order for some of these inks I definitely think the demand exists. Until they do show up at other retailers, we still have a few bottles of each color in stock and I plan to have all colors available at the Miami Pen Show next weekend. Hope to see many of you at the show.

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher (chuck@swisherpens.com)

Swisher Pens, Inc.

1560 Laskin Rd., Suite 158

Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Web Site: www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 425-2162 , TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 425-2165

Chuck Swisher (chuck@swisherpens.com)

Swisher Pens, Inc.

572 Central Dr., Suite 102

Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Web Site: www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 425-2162 , TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 425-2165

What really amazes me is that it handles totally different from another in this series: Mandalay Maroon.

Dave-

Midway Blue definitely acts differently than the other inks I've tried from the V-Mail series. The only one that I've used enough to review is North African Violet. That ink was exceptionally well behaved, and I didn't see any bleed through or feathering with it. (I'm using the same pen as I test these inks, to keep things consistent.) The others that I've tried briefly have also been well behaved, but I don't have enough experience with them to come to a firm conclusion yet.

-- Dave

Edited by Mongo

I am going to have to check in with Sleuth and Statesman next time I am downtown Toronto.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I am going to have to check in with Sleuth and Statesman next time I am downtown Toronto.

Bill, I called sleuth and statesman. Murtaza tells me the Noodler's shipment was delayed. I asked about the V-mail inks and he said he'd ask about them. I don't know of that's definitive. It's been delayed for quite some time.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• 4 years later...

I'm trying to convince myself that I love this ink, just so I can have the bottle on my desk! I love the old plane silhouettes and the history of the v-mail inks. Very cool offering from Noodlers.

My biggest problem with this, and Burma Road Brown (another of the v-mail inks) is that it spreads sideways a lot, more than any other ink.

I find that it only looks and behaves well with quite a fine-nibbed pen on very good paper.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Really? I'm surprised, I use this my pens and I only use broad nibs, but I don't know that I have tried it on recycled paper. I keep thinking I should try mixing it with NAV because I suspect that would be beautiful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Really? I'm surprised, I use this my pens and I only use broad nibs, but I don't know that I have tried it on recycled paper. I keep thinking I should try mixing it with NAV because I suspect that would be beautiful.

It may be that the percentage spread with a medium or fine nib is greater, and therefore more visible, than with a broad nib (of which I have none). I will have to do some more testing.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Testing/Experimenting is such a great excuse for playing with ink and paper.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY