Pelikan P381

joelchan

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3705936768_cb5d43b29c_o.jpg

this is the pen, I took the pic

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2653/3705086481_d04d359366_o.jpg

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• joelchan

• CoolFool

• bonejure

Thank you for reviewing this "obscure" Pelikan and for filling the blank spot in the review index!

Following ruettinger the New Classic line was produced between 1992 and 1995; the fact you found it new in a mall it's possibly an evidence of not being a successful model... I guess it was a great value for a gold nibbed Pelikan, but honestly, I feel it's ugly!

Thanks,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 7 months later...

I bought this pen when I was a grad student. It was affordable... and a Pelikan, but from what I recall the ink would not flow well and I would have to squeee a drop from the converter. Shortly thereafter, I got an M400. I put the p381 away until today. That is more than 15 years.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 1 month later...

Actually I don't find it ugly at all.

Just because it is cartridge only it slipped my mind. I was rather prejudiced, up to this week.

There are and were many pens with a similar form 1980's-'90's, from Germany like the Diplomat and Geha.

In fact the New Malaysian owner in the early 1990's, first thing he did was buy up Geha pen division (a major competitor for the school pen market,)and close it down. It could well have been a Geha, or Geha design, that got transfered.Or something that was on the boards to go up against Geha.

I don't know any thing about MB, so can't say if they too made one to this form.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Looks like a nice pen and I have a soft spot for slim pens. can you share how much this pen cost?

Best,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I paid about US20 for it

Edited by joelchan

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

I paid about US20 for it

Thats superb value for any pen with a gold nib esp. for a Pelikan.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have the P390 which is the same pen but with a gold and silver finish. Mine also had flow problems which I think were related to the section not creating a proper vacuum when connected to a converter. Sealed the gap with some silicone grease and works peachy now.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

• 1 year later...

I have the P390 which is the same pen but with a gold and silver finish. Mine also had flow problems which I think were related to the section not creating a proper vacuum when connected to a converter. Sealed the gap with some silicone grease and works peachy now.

Yuki

Yuki, Could you please explain more about the silicone grease: How and where did you apply it? Do you have to reapply?

Thanks,

David

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

I'm betting she put it on the threads on the section that screw into the barrel. May be wrong though. Dunno.

Thanks!

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

• 2 weeks later...

I got one too, the nib is M 14K gold and I paid about $60 or $70 US dollars few months ago. It's a very beautiful slim pen but I too had problems with the ink flow! I send it to adjust the nib and I also had the nib modified to Italic. It writes rather well now. Not my favorite pen but a pretty good one!

All the best

Carlos

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one of these on EBay a few days ago. It's an ultra-slim pen and the size of the nib is expectedly small. I have yet to try it but I'll keep the flow problems in mind.......thanks for the heads up on that ! :thumbup:

Mark

• 2 months later...

Those of you who have this pen. After the cap snaps on does it spin loosely on the barrel? I am not sure I like that. I have not inked the pen yet and bought it for a gift.

All the Best,

T

I have two of these pens - P381 in green and P390 silver. I haven't used them much because I too found flow problems with them. The caps do not spin loosely on the barrel at all. (I've just checked) :happyberet:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Mine also had a small flow problem initially; starvation on the up-strokes. Being that way inclined, I widened the slit very slightly, and now the only problem with it is the strange conceit that an "M" point should put down a line four feet wide.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got a P390. I liked its slim style and combo of silver body and golden trim/clip. I first worried about the slim body would cause hand fatigue. However when I wrote with it, to my surprise, the weight and balance were just right, it rested on my hand naturally and effortlessly, even posted.

Mine is a medium it laid down a finer line than that of the M series. That being said the lines were just as wet as the M series. And because of the perfect weight, balance and the wetness I was able to glide across page with the least effort and finger stress despite the narrow section, quite amazing. The cap snaped on both ends securely with a soft click.

My only concern to this pen is that the black plastic seems a little flimsy (given its slim body); it might be prone to breakage or crack in the long run. I yet have to use it long enough to find out about the inkflow issue others have.

Edited by fhhcpen

• 2 months later...

I didn't realise that quite a few people have found flow problems with this Pelikan pen - I bought a green marbled one off an ebayer brand new with a broad nib for around 40 bucks and had the same issues with ink flow in that it wouldn't start immediately and would skip. The seller suggested I try other types of less saturated inks (I had filled it up with Private Reserve American Blue) but I still found the same problem. Since it was still under warranty I decided to contact the Pelikan office whilst I was visiting in Singapore and the service I received was excellent. I was shown a tray of about 10 NOS broad P381 nibs - I basically tried nearly every single one and finally found one that was perfect for me. To this day it has remained one of my favourite broad nibs - its got a slight stubbish quality about it and puts down a very saturated wet line, perfect for the American Blue!

I think its a sturdy little pen and I don't think its ugly at all, it would suit a smaller hand though, being rather slim. I also like the fact that when you post this pen, it clicks at the back and does not rely on wedging the cap onto the barrel like so many expensive pens which in my opinion, causes ugly scratches in the long run - the P381 has a tiny gap between the cap and the barrel when you post it which minimises the scratching, plus the lacquer is quite hard and solid (unlike resin or plastic).

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I've recently bought a P381 B for about US$35.00, filled it with Pilot Kon-Peki and it is writing greatly. I did not have any flow problems and the nib is very smooth, springy and with decent line variation. Looking at the nib with a lupe an it seems almost italic. Sure it is a slim pen, not very good looking but a super deal for the price.