Edison Glenmont

Glenn-SC

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

This is another pen of which it is impossible to have a "first impression".

I bought the acrylic material and watched the pen being made by Brian Gray via the internet.

Brian even had me call him on the phone to discuss options and then he sent photographs of the finished pen.

I also already have two Edison Herald pens.

Well, when I opened the box all I could say was WOW!

The pen was as good looking as I had hoped with a depth to the acrylic that was unexpected.

What I didn't realize is how much bigger the Glenmont is than the Herald.

Brian REALLY needs to post a group photo of his pen models so we can see relative sizes.

As fans of Edison know by now, no fancy wood box with an over-sleeve or outer box.

The Herald came in a sturdy clear plastic wrapped in black fabric in a heavy duty cardboard shipping box.

Here's the Glenmont and my Heralds:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/EdisonsOpen.jpg

APPEARANCE AND FINISH

I really like the color of this acrylic.

I was looking for a white/gray/silver marbled pearl material but found this "Cloud I" at Bear Tooth Woods and fell for it.

It has thin layers of white and blue swirled in a white pearl matrix.

The Red pearl (also from Bear Tooth) has the color and contrast I wanted.

The acrylic is polished to a high sheen.

The ball-end pocket clip is reminiscent of the Parker Duofold, is simple, functional, and nicely plated. I chose rhodium verses gold as it goes better with the Cloud material.

The lines of the barrel and cap are continuous and transition smoothly from one section to the next.

The Red cap and barrel ends match perfectly with the main material.

I had originally chosen an Edison duo-tone 18k gold nib plated with rhodium, engraved with the Edison logo of course.

Brian questioned the look of the gold with the other colors in the pen. We talked via phone and he installed both the duo-tone and the completely rhodium plated nib for me and showed them via his website. I agreed that the completed plated nib looked better.

The nib is simple and not overly ornate.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/GlenmontClosed-MyShot.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/GlenmontOpen-Myshot.jpg

SIZE AND WEIGHT

The Herald is a large pen, the Glenmont is even larger. It is even larger than a Pelikan M800 and the modern Parker Duofold Centennial (and International, of course).

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/GlenmontSizeComparisonClosed.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/GlenmontSizeComparisonOpen.jpg

The Glenmont is not heavy despite its size. The acrylic is thick so its not light but it is not overly heavy either.

To my uncalibrated hands the loaded and capped Glenmont weighs more than the comparable Herald.

Using the same measurement system the uncapped pens weigh the same.

I find this weight comfortable for long writing sessions.

NIB DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE

I got the rhodium plated 18kt gold nib in Fine. All the gold nibs are is simply engraved with the Edison logo.

Brian works all the nibs himself and this one is smooth with a bit of feedback, which I like very much.

The nib feels soft, without flex, and lays down a medium wet true fine line with the Sailor Blue ink I loaded.

FILLING SYSTEM

I ordered the pen with a Premium twist converter.

The converter fills and empties just fine. That's about all I ask of a filling system.

COST/VALUE

The basic pen with a standard steel nib costs $225. The Edison 18k nib is a $100 upgrade.

You get to pick the design, barrel and cap material, nib material, and nib color.

Since I supplied my own acrylic I got a credit on the cost.

This is my third Edison, I don't have to argue that the price is fair.

CONCLUSION

I am still stuck at WOW!

My problem is I have too many colors for pens to be made from.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• MYU

• Nimrud

• dizzypen

I have been anticipating your review. Thank you. Your pics are lovely, and I love the comparison shots.

So your Glenmont has custom materials but it is the standard size? If so, that size looks perfect for me. I have standard Herald that is just on the border of being too small for me. I love pens that are Pel M-800/Duofold Centennial sized, and the Glenmont seems to fit right in.

Your choice of materials is stunning. Congrats! You have a unique pen that I know is a great writer.

Edited by FrankB

Wonderful pen and your review does it much justice. I especially like the touch of having supplied your own acrylic in addition of following Brian's progress along the way. :thumbup:

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Frank

My Glenmont is the standard size.

Check out http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php

They only have 200 materials to choose from.

What a stunner.

The first Edison Pen I got was a Glenmont in chocolate. I love the Pen so much I ordered a Pearl and a #76 .

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

Let me add a "wow!" as well. Beautiful pen: just great design choice by you (& Brian).

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have a pen that is truly unique? No other pen looks exactly like it. :D

Btw, were you able to purchase the rod stock on-line or was it in person?

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Btw, were you able to purchase the rod stock on-line or was it in person?

I bought the acrylic on-line from Bear Tooth - http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php

I also bought some on-line from Wood Turningz - http://www.woodturningz.com/Acrylic_Acetate_Pen_Blanks.aspx

The blanks typically cost $3.50 to $4.50 for a 5-inch long piece.

I needed two of the Cloud materials (one each for the cap and the body) and one Red blank for the cap and barrel ends and the section.

I sent an extra Cloud blank (just in case an error occurred during manufacture).

I should have sent an extra Red blank for only had the one.

IF an error happened I would have had to order more blanks and that would have delayed delivery while both Brian and I waited for the blank to be delivered.

What a stunning pen, love the pattern of the acrylic. Enjoyed the review, well done!

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

You make me sad...

I've been trying to avoid this review since you put it up. It is going to take me ages to finally get my dream pen :crybaby:

*sniff* :(

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I think I agree with your one word assessment - wow. What a colorful and interesting collection of Edisons. Congratulations on your color and pattern choices. Very different.

And this is so cool!

Brian engraves each pen with the Edison brand, the Model name, and the year of manufacture.

On this one he had the engraving filled in with red to match the ends:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/glenn-sc/GlenmontInscription.jpg

stunning pen :) happy writing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

NICE color!

Boy, one day, I need to get an Edison.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

A wonderful pen! Congratulations on an excellent choice of materials and combination.

I hadn't been aware of this American manufacturer before - this review is a great tribute to an emerging force in American pen manufacture. The ball-end clip and flat-top design is a favorite (I like the vintage Duofolds and Aurora Talentum for the same reason). The detailed engraving is another great touch from the vintage Duofolds that I would like to see on high-quality pens: a unique feature that adds personality and useful detail for future generations.

Thanks for the great review and well done, Edison.

Edited by darkgreen

* Nakaya celluloid M * Nakaya Briar F * Sailor PG M-F * Parker Duofold Jnr F * LAMY Safari EF * Tombow Object F * Lamy 2K EF * Platinum Preppy 0.3 *

Brian did ask me if I wanted any "custom engraving" on my pen.

But I consider his standard engraving both appropriate and sufficiently custom.