Noodlers Squetegue

AndrewW

Having used Squetegue for a couple of weeks now, I thought I'd write a short review of it. In terms of physical properties, my main reference is the other Noodlers ink that I own, Ottoman Rose.

In terms of colour, I was a little surprised (and mildly disappointed) at how prototypically green Squetegue looks. Based on scans in this forum, I had anticipated it to contain a lot more blue-grey tones than there actually are. (Only later did KCat mention in a posting that Squetegue doesn't scan well.) Sometimes, at a normal reading distance, it is so intense that it can look like a darkened Waterman Green, though on closer inspection the blue tones do come through, especially in drier strokes. Nevertheless, it is a nice, dark, sober green, which can be used for most kinds of writing.

The physical properties are IMHO not quite up to the standard of Ottoman Rose, but OK. I use both inks in identical Lamy Vista pens with broad nibs, so, whilst this may be pen-dependent, it does not seem the most likely explanation. The Ottoman Rose flows very freely and is quite quick drying. (Indeed, Ottoman Rose has become one of my favourite and most frequently used inks.) Squetegue, on the other hand, seems a little bit drier in the pen (though the flow is still quite acceptable) and is also rather slow drying (almost as slow as some of the PR inks).

Edited by AndrewW

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric.zamir

• Goodwhiskers

• Dudley

• Karin

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review! I had thought about getting Squetegue, but after your description of the color, it doesn't sound quite like what I am looking for. I was hoping it really did have those blue-grey tones like some of the scans have shown. It's nice to know these things before placing an order.

i agree it doesn't have a strong blue-grey tone. I consider it almost a dark teal but not really grey unless it's in a very dry writer. Don't know why it's been so hard for me to capture the color. something in the dye particles I suppose.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks, Andrew! I've seen this color written on paper; it is very interesting and difficult to describe, so I'm glad you've contributed another review for it B) .

thanks for the review, i always like to see pictures to see whether or not i want an ink, but its nice that know that its not always accurate.

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Guest Denis Richard

Squeteague is my current favorite ink. I have been using it exclusively for weeks. It's a beautiful vintage colour.

Unlike what everyone else seems to see, it's definitely a greenish blue to me, not a blue-ish green. But colour perception is very relative.

Edited by Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

Not sure what that online picture is worth, but if like me you see only seas of dots and nothing else in the four middle circle, then Squeteague might be a greenish-blue for you too. :lol:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/images/humanvisionfigure7.jpg

Noodlers Squetegue is one of the worst inks I have ever used. Dry in the pen, wet on the paper... as per review. Sluggish ink. Terrible color that looks like the contents of my four-month old's diaper. A close second is Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris.

These colors look like their respective creators took whatever was left at the end of the day and dumped it all into a container.

I know these brands are all the rage. But they also make other colors that are much more fluid and beautiful.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

Wow. I didn't know that women could be colour blind. But I don't see anything but dots in those middle circles.

I have lots of trouble distinguishing greens. They often look black to me. And I have trouble particularly with Squeateague.

Both my sons are colour blind and I know the gene is passed down through the mother.

More to feel guilty about :( :bonk: :bonk:

Fountain Pen Abundance

I DON'T THINK A NORMAL PERSON IS SUPPOSED TO SEE ANYTHING BUT DOTS IN THE MIDDLE CIRCLES. THAT WAS THE IDEA! NORMAL SEES THE NUMBERS ON THE LEFT....

IF I'M WRONG, THEN 48 YEARS OF EYE EXAMS JUST WENT DOWN THE TOILET.A

ALSO, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I CONSIDERED IT A BLUISH GREEN, AS OPPOSED TO R&K VERDIGRIS, WHICH IS A GREENISH BLUE.

SO THERE.

Edited by eric.zamir

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

Yes, those images are the "answer key" for the color-vision exam. The leftmost column of two images is what normal human vision sees, while the other vertical pairs of images are what various types of colorblind human vision see when looking at the leftmost vertical pair. Karin, you have no cause for concern on this :) .

Edited by Goodwhiskers

ahh very good explanation, good whiskers. i thought i was Protanope or Deuteranope for a minute there. I guess if you're either of those the key and the test would look the same huh?

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P