CARAN d'ACHE-Storm

Inka

I finally got the chance to try some CARAN d'ACHE-"Storm" today, thanks to FPN member thoddomas and Goldspot.com.

I've seen other reviews where people can't seem to agree on the color, some say it's watered-down violet and some say it's nearly black with some purple hints.

I was hoping for something dark, something purple yet bordering on black for daily-carry, unfortunately it's not nearly as dark as I had hoped it would be, at least not from my pen and F nib it's not.

Having been writing with this ink for several hours today, on several different paper types, using the same pen & F nib, I can say the paper seems to make a huge difference in how this ink looks.

I do like purple inks, always have, but all too often they're either way too blue for my taste or just so neon-bright there's no way I could use them for daily writing, just for special occasions.

I've wanted a dark purple that was nearly black straight from the bottle, meaning without having to add black ink to the purple ink to get the shade I've been seeking.

I'm a bit disappointed that this ink isn't as dark as I was hoping for, but the flow and excellent behavior while writing make up for that in some ways.

This is also the first time I've ever used an ink from Switzerland, mostly I have U.S.-made inks and a few made in Germany, so this was going to be interesting.

My thinking was that if the Swiss can make inks that are anything like their watches and other products I own, this might be something special.

I also like the solid crystal inkwell/bottle for this ink, doesn't hold more than @ 30ml of ink but it's bottom-heavy and very thick crystal, not some cheap glass or plastic.

The inkwell seems more designed for show than for practicality, since although the inkwell is close to the top lip it doesn't seem designed to handle pens with large nibs.

Regardless, I find the inkwell to be very well made and in my eyes somewhat a work of art in it's own right, one reason I had wanted this brand.

On to the hand-written review, of an ink that despite some criticism I find to be subtle and calming to use, nicely shaded, extremely well behaved and a joy to write with [at least I enjoy it]:

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/CARANdACHEStormReview.jpg

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• MikeW

• RayMan

• MiniMaupassant

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me a while to warm up to this ink, but I've gotten to like it. And it has one of the most appropriate names in inkdom. Thanks for your review.

Edited by RayMan

Regards,

Ray

I will provide the voice of dissent here...!!

I bought this ink when the CdA range first came out, a year or two ago, having been initially completely seduced by the bottles. Unfortunately I find this ink to be dull and mudlike in colour, as well as being extremely dry.

It does look really good on the scan though, it's just that I prefer brighter, more cheerful colours!

@leoniethomas18

hey, I just loaded a pen with this yesterday! Nice review.

This does shade very well in an italic nib. It's subtly different from PdL but they are very similar. I do like the muted, dusty effect of each, and is what I use when I'm writing for a while and will need to read back later. I like more vivid purples too but tend to use those more for markup and editing.

I haven't found it dry, though. Well behaved - a bit more so than PdL.

Hey Scott,

Great review! You weren't kidding about your scanner performing exceptionally well.

Sorry it didn't come out as dark as you would have preferred, but I am glad you enjoyed it enough to give it a positive review. I would love to hear what would happen if you decide to put a bit of the CDA carbon black and mix it with the storm violet. Maybe then you would get the desired shade.

This is one of my favorites. Very well behaved with a perfect storm cloud dusty purple color. Too bad it's so darn $$$.

I'm finding myself liking it just the way it is, the more I use Storm.

I tried adding just a drop of Polar black to about 7 drops of Storm and it changed the behavior completely, in a bad way.

On its' own Cd'A Storm is so perfectly well behaved it's not one for blending, unless it works using Cd'A Carbon Black which I've not tried yet.

Adding Polar Black, even in a small amount, not only made it Royal Purple colored but also caused it to feather, when 100% pure Storm wasn't feathering at all.

So until I get my hands on some Caran d'Ache Carbon Black it's nothing but pure Storm for me.

I'm liking it more and more each time I write with it; not sure at this point what I'm going to do when I run out and possibly cannot afford to buy more...

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• 1 year later...

I really like Storm. I also have Damson, but haven't found its flow characteristics as good. It does have the advantage of being far cheaper, though.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple