Parker 45 (M)

HenryLouis

My first review!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2342.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2340.jpg

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• mvh

• J English Smith

• Limerick

Thanks for the review! This is my all time favorite Parker...over the 45's and everything. Glad you're enjoying yours. You need to get a 45 Flighter...they're killer!

-Marcos

Nice review Henry! The fingerprints add a personal touch Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Nice review Henry! The fingerprints add a personal touch Mike

Haha! I just saw that...how cool is that. This way you know who wrote it.

-Marcos

Nice pen, and great review!

It's not an aerometric filler, like P51, though. It's a squeeze-bar converter.

thanx for the review. great pen and i like that blue color, i don't have a blue one.

Nice review, Henry! Glad to see you found the venerable and reliable Parker 45. I'd have to say it is one of Parker's "sleeper" pens... very underrated. Keep your eye out for old ones with beat up bodies but good nibs--you can buy those to cannibalize for the nibs. I definitely recommend getting a fine nib. They're great to write with--smooth and not too wet. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I have a fine nib and it's too dry for me.

Nice review, Henry! Glad to see you found the venerable and reliable Parker 45. I'd have to say it is one of Parker's "sleeper" pens... very underrated. Keep your eye out for old ones with beat up bodies but good nibs--you can buy those to cannibalize for the nibs. I definitely recommend getting a fine nib. They're great to write with--smooth and not too wet. :)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Thank you for a well done review. I appreciate the hand written format.

I think the Parker 45 is one of the basic, must have FP's. I had one when I was in junior and senior high school (decades ago) and it took a lot of abuse while performing excellently. I still have the pen and it is an example of one of my favorite comments - "some of the pens I got new are now considered vintage pens." I must admit my handwriting was quite small in those days, so I had a F nib. I am so glad you have discovered this pen model, and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Thank you for the very nice review! I, too, think the 45 is an all-around spiffy pen. I agree, your handwritten format is a friendly way to review the pen.

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Henry

I love 45s. They were my first forey into FPs so I will always have a soft spot for them. Before I came here, I picked up 10 on e-bay, over 12 months or so, and never paid more than £2 or £3. They are so versatile, easy to clean, and great to maintain. Glad you lkie yours, And as asimplemaestro says, get yourself a flighter as soon as you can. they are awesome. I also have a Harlequin grey shield, but think overall the plain flighter is better.

And if you want to swap that fine nib for another medium, just PM me!

I have to echo all this high praise; the 45 flighter was my only fountain pen for a long time and really set the bar as a writer compared to the few others I've used so far (parker 50, sheaffer targa, hero 849 & 850). Its the smoothest writer on even the cheapest, nastiest paper, the easiest to clean out and the most comfortable for writing hours on end.

ps I love these handwritten reviews!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. As I told you in a PM, the 45 was my first 'good' FP in the mid sixties-they were $5 then when a Sheaffer or Wearever cartridge pen ran for $1. I used green Parker ink until my teacher made me change. It is just a plain good pen, as it has been all these decades. I'm glad a new generation is sampling its allures-

The blue 45 is my favorite color. It's a nice, deep blue, very close to the P51 cedar blue color. Great pens!!!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Henry, can I ask you a question?

How come your line is that slim when you are using a medium nib?

My medium nib was too bold that I got a fine one.

I also have a fine Lamy 2000 and it is very bold.

I can't imagine anyone using M.

This may be related to the ink you are using.

Henry, can I ask you a question?

How come your line is that slim when you are using a medium nib?

My medium nib was too bold that I got a fine one.

I also have a fine Lamy 2000 and it is very bold.

I can't imagine anyone using M.

This may be related to the ink you are using.

Maybe the writing is a bit big. I found the medium nib good to write. Maybe you should finally try PR American blue since you don't like feathering? I have a Lamy 2000 M and it's fine for my writing as well.

Great review! And glad to read you have a wet 45 - mine is very very dry. In fact I have no pen drier than my 45 ... that's why I'm so disappointed about because besides this I really like the pen ... :crybaby:

Limerick - it is very easy to improve the flow on the 45 - just floss the nib a stroke, or very gently finger-spread the tines. I've had several 45 nibs that were too stingy that improved markedly with very slight tweaking.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Great review. The Parker 45 is a great pen. However, if you like the 45, and don't already own one I would totally recommend you pick up a Parker 51 at some point, I have both and the 51 gets written with far more, the 45 is great too, I just prefer the 51.