Lamy Safari

chemgeek

Lamy Safari

First Impressions—I bought this for pure fun, and because I read it would write through multipart forms, which I have to do on occasion. The pen came in small plastic “crate” and included a cartridge but no converter.

Appearance and Finish—The Lamy Safari comes in a variety of wild colors. I went for the bright yellow so that I might have a harder time losing it. This pen looks industrial, yet elegant. Everything fits together well.

Design/Size/Weight—This is a super lightweight (0.6 oz fully loaded) plastic pen that comes in solid colors. It appears to be nearly indestructible. Despite its light weight it is a substantial 5 1/4” unposted and 6 ½” posted. Even very large hands should find this pen large enough. The cap posts very securely. The grip has a couple of angled faces cut into it that helps the hand hold the nib naturally in the appropriate position, at least for me. Others might find this feature annoying. The pen has an oversized paper-clip-like pocket clip that is very effective, and a pair of windows in the barrel that make it easy to monitor ink status in either cartridge or converter. The cap snaps on, and appears to seal solidly against the nib section. The whole pen seems to be very cleverly designed. The converter has little notches on it that lock in to slots in the barrel; the barrel and grip threads are machined so that when the two are screwed together, the ink windows must line up perfectly with the openings in the nib section. These are interesting little touches for a cheap fountain pen.

Nib Design and Performance/—I selected a fine nib. Nib construction is steel and is appointed in black, which contrasts nicely with the yellow barrel. The nib is hard as nails and stiff as a board. This puppy will write through multipart forms with no problem. Despite the industrial-strength nature of the nib, it writes very well, laying down a very thick and wet line for a fine nib, almost exactly the same width as a Sailor 1911M medium nib. Presumably because of the stiffness of the nib, there is not a lot of shading with most inks, but there is a significant amount of line thickness variation. Horizontal strokes are quite a bit thinner than vertical strokes. The nib has quite a bit of grab, or tooth, and if objectionable can be minimized with a lighter touch. The nib starts reliably, even after idleness, and I have encountered no feed problems. It’s not too fussy about writing angle.

Filling System—The Lamy Safari has a cartridge/converter fill. I bought a converter (not supplied with the pen), Filling the converter requires the entire nib to be submerged. The little recessed detail on the end of the grip is a pain to clean after filling the pen, and if you have the yellow pen you will really need to do this for almost any color ink.

Cost/Value—You can purchase one of these for $25; another $5 gets you a converter. Considering the reliability and sturdiness of this pen you get a lot for your $30.

Overall Opinion/Conclusion—The Lamy Safari is not a fashion statement, except in some perverse, industrial way. But it is an inexpensive (dare I say cheap?), reliable, fun, and indestructible fountain pen. I envision using mine in the garden to take notes, where its solidity will prevent me from destroying it if it is dropped, and its color will make it harder (but not impossible) to lose; or perhaps in the office to write through the ubiquitous multipart forms without having to reach for a ballpoint pen. Highly recommended.

Edited by chemgeek

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, chemgeek! You describe the pen perfectly.

I use my Safari for testing inks and mixes that wouldn't dare fill my other pens with. Never had any trouble with it.

Best regards!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

[EDIT] Thanks for your review Chemgeek :)

This is what I bought today: a Lamy Safari 'blue & red', sold only this summer, seems to be advertised for the girlie market, but never mind ...

post-34-1147481470_thumb.jpg

Edited by saintsimon

Excellent review. ;)

I love my two Safari's. And yes, they do take some abuse!

While the large clip doesn't appeal to everyone, it does get noticed by other fountain pen users. :blink: I had a stranger comment "Nice Lamy" and it took me a minute to understand what he was talking about! The pen was simply clipped in my pocket and he recognized the clip.

But thanks for the detailed review of your pen. Very nicely done. I look forward to reading future reviews from you.

"It's a .... poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

Good review! You can get a great writing experience from an inexpensive pen. The Lamy pens are one example. You must try their 1.5 & 1.9 italic nibs. I often "borrow" my son's every once in a while!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Thanks for the review! I like the 1.1 nib... it puts down a line similar to the 0.9 Stipula nib.

St.Simon - where did you get the blue one? That's a nice color!

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Agree almost completely from the short experience with my dark grey fine nibbed version.

(1) It is not a cheap pen, it is a well made inexpensive one. The distinction is very important.

(2) I get no noticeable variation between verticle and horizontal lines. This is probably from normal manufacturing variation. Mine is fairly smooth, with a reasonable level of tooth.

(3) I think the design is more from the Bauhaus school and has something to do with form following function. I find the design extremely functional for a fountain pen.

(4) It really is a pleasant pen to write with (partailly because of the very stiff nib and partially because of the very functional design and very light material used) and I can easily see why it is the favorite user pen of so many.

(5) Around here I can get Skrip, short international, Waterman, and Parker ink cartridges. The prorietary Lamy cartridge is not carried. (The converter I have works very smoothly.)

(6) I think because of the overall design and execution of the pen, that with a converter and a bottle of ink it makes an excellent gift.

YMMV

Currently, they are available everywhere in German (department)stores which sell pens (as Lamys are sold everywhere, here). I don't know about the rest of Europe or the world. But they are available from german ebay sellers, just look for the 'blue & red'. The pastel blue body colour is among the nicer safari colour schemes.

Chemgeek:

You're more adventurous with trying fountain pens on multipart forms than I am. Much kudos and many thanks to you B) !

I haven't tried any of my Safaris (all four widths) on multipart forms yet. I know the extra-fine won't do it.

Just seen on the web: Pengallery sells the Safari 'blue & red' SE for $23.

Thank you Chemgeek for the review. I glad Lamy Safari's have stiffer nibs. Someone at work spotted mine when I used it because it is a nibbed pen. He said that fountain pens don't work for him because he uses to much pressure to write. He is younger than me, so I don't know which fountain pens he has used. He didn't have time to elaborate. I've been thinking of gifting him a Safari.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

You described the Safari very well!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Nice review, the safari was the first "non disposable" fountain pen i got and i love it. Though the fine nib is kinda dry to me though. Now seeing that blue and red version, i want another one, but dang i was saving up for a more expensive pen...

look what you guys did!

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

I love my Safari, I have some nicer pens, but the Safari is so wonderfully dependable and cheerful. I got a white one on ebay from some nice person in Kuala Lumpur. I like the white very much, it has an imperial stormtrooperish feeling. (In fact, I got a second one for my sweetie.)

For some reason I use my cheapo pens (the Safari, a GO, and whatever the cheap pelikan is) for bright inks (Navajo Turquoise, Always Greener, and Pinkly, respectively). I mostly use them for copyediting (never mind that the GO, which I adore, is really too broad a nib for editing marks), and for scribbling notes on to-do lists.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

:meow:

I have 4 Lamy's. Two in the plastic Safaris and two metal Al-Stars.

The feed on the aluminium version is slighlty wider. I believe it must have a different feed design as it writes much more smoothly and wetter than the plastic one. Its not the nib because they are all standard to the two pens. In the UK the metal one is only £6 dearer but definately worth it.

The design is very functional though distinctive. I've been very happy with it and se it as being of extremely good value and not as a budget pen!

Armchop

Edited by Armchop

The Lamy Al-Star and Safari are those pens that you can easily collect to kill the insatiable appetite for fountain pens. I have 2 aluminums - green and silver. Planning on getting a Vista, yellow and orange. I spotted an orange one when I went to Froogle.com.

For the price, they're great for having 2 pens at the office (different ink colors), a pen at the home office, bedside table, toolbox, or for self-defense :) when you go to the ATM machines at night. Man, those nibs are deadly-looking.

Another thing I like about them, since my vision is not too good, is that when I grab the pen, I don't need to look at the nib if it's at the correct position. The ergonomic feature near the nib positions your finger in a snap.

joseph

P51 demi, P51 full size, P reflex, Pilot VP blk carbon, M200 gray, M200 blk, 2 Pelikanos, 3 Lam Safaris, 1 Lam Studio SS.

• 1 month later...

Safari is my second FP in six years. I've got a black one myself.

I just love it, especially the smooth writing and the extra light weight.

I also very much like the casual look of the pen.

Unlike other expensive FPs, I do not have to take extra care to not to ruin it and be cafeful all the time when using it. I use this pen pretty much all the time when I have to write.

Although it is really good and everything, I personally believe that size of the font are too thin. It does not present nice comfortable readable font. From my personal experience, I don't advice people to use it during the English examination (for essays).

However it suits my hand well.

I bought it for $45 Australian Dollar, which is not too expensive.

This is truely fantastic.

Thankyou.

post-34-1151315911_thumb.jpg

Edited by happy_time

Although it is really good and everything, I personally believe that size of the font are too thin. It does not present nice comfortable readable font. From my personal experience, I don't advice people to use it during the English examination (for essays).

I guess it is dependent on many factors such as your personal style of writing, how you grip the pen, the paper you use, the ink you use and your experience with other fountain pens to which you would compare it to.

If the Lamy was your second fountain pen in 6 years, what was the first one? :huh:

:meow:

Hello Happy_time

On your Lamy do you have a fine nib or medium nib? I know what you mean about handwriting. I think ink makes a big difference. Of my non-blue inks I find great smooth and good looking writing with Waterman Violet and seems to be better than say Parker Penman Ruby.

Armchop