• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plasma800

• Brian Anderson

• Ruaidhri

• maxrhino

eBay - if you are patient you can get lucky from time to time.

Green Board on PT - very reliable folks - much the same as here :)

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

on-line: Oscar Braun Pens though I've purchased from Pendemonium and Swisher as well - they're all good.

IRL: only one pen shop in my part of the world that is worth visiting, IMO. Dromgoole's. But I try to go for pens on discount or try to barter with the owner when I can. :) Unfortunately, I've ignored some of his offers - could have gotten an old-style VP for a little over $60 at one point. grrrrr...

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

For my older stuff eBay

For new pens either Richard Binder or Pam Braun or Tryphon

I go to car boot sales and the thrill there is not knowing what you will find.

I do the usual ebay buying and antique / junk shops.

I've also started placing ads in the local paper.

So far, from this source i've got myself a 1949 Parker 51 Presidential fountain pen and pencil for £100.An Onoto No.14 for £10 and a Parker 51 in Plum for £20.

I'm off to see a man this week who has 3 Parkers,1 Waterman and a Conway Stewart. I couldn't get any more details out of him with regards to models but he says he's had them a long time and he's not exactly a spring chicken.So it's a case of who knows till I get there.He also added that he's retiring to Spain in a months time, is having a clear out and doesn't want much for them.

That's the thrill for me,the anticipation of a good find.

Oh and the bargain prices help my modest budget.

I'm almost solely a ebay hunter myself, although from time to time I do pick them off the green board/marketplace for my non-esterbrook purchases. I also have done some trading between collectors and then there's the annual Chicago show I go to.

Interesting this is working for you. How long have you been advertising? Approximate number of inquiries per month? I've often thought about this but figured it might be a (Potty Mouth) shoot, as I don't know many people who still read a newspaper. Maybe older folks still do and that's precisely the market a person wishes to attract. How do you come to the pricing? Do you get a lot of calls concerning low end junk?

Intrigued-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I like all of the above, Pam Braun, ebay, Green Board, marketplace,Richard Binder and lets not forget our own Winedoc!

(sadly no affiliation with any of the above, just an addict looking for his next score :D )

french

For my older stuff eBay

For new pens either Richard Binder or Pam Braun or Tryphon

are these stores or people?

I'm almost solely a ebay hunter myself, although from time to time I do pick them off the green board/marketplace for my non-esterbrook purchases. I also have done some trading between collectors and then there's the annual Chicago show I go to.

Interesting this is working for you. How long have you been advertising? Approximate number of inquiries per month? I've often thought about this but figured it might be a (Potty Mouth) shoot, as I don't know many people who still read a newspaper. Maybe older folks still do and that's precisely the market a person wishes to attract. How do you come to the pricing? Do you get a lot of calls concerning low end junk?

Intrigued-

Brian

what is greenboard... and what is non-esterbrook...

Im such a dummy about this stuff.

are these stores or people?

People, with the exception of tryphon

what is greenboard...

The greenboard is located over at Pentrace and is so named because of the green background.

and what is non-esterbrook...

I ask myself that question all the time :lol: but seriously, any pen that is not manufactured by the Esterbrook Pen Co.

Best-

Brian

With modern pens, I've had very good experiences here at FPN, at Bertram's Inkwell in Baltimore, on the Green Board, and with Pam Braun. I've also had good experiences buying vintage pens from Wet Inc as well as www.vintagepens.com. Most recently, I got a fantastic DJ "51" at a hard to beat price from Danny Fudge at TheWritePen.net.

I have often thought about placing advertisements for pens also, I think it would be worth a shot! :) Good things can happen!

Off-Topic Alert: About five years ago I put an advertisement in the local looking for some lenses to fit a manual camera my grandfather gave me. I had a couple of responses, but one was from an older journo who was going digital. He sold me three good-sized boxes of photography gear. I paid $650AU for it, which at the time and on my budget then, was a huge amount to pay for 'old' gear. I had no idea what it was I bought either. It was just a huge mix of everything, cameras, lenses, flashes, books, accessories - you name it.

Fast forward to last year - I sold the bulk of my manual collection from that journo to raise funds to go digital myself - it netted thousands! I was flabbergasted. Some of the lenses that old journo had sold me were rare and very special. I knew what they were by then, and I still listed them cheap - the frenzy for my stuff on eBay was amazing. I did retain some even rarer lenses for 'a rainy day'. :)

It was a once-in-a-lifetime deal - I lucked out big time that day five years ago. It could happen to you! But preferably with exquisite fountain pens. ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

See you NEVER know what you might find! I would love to start collecting old pens. I just know nothing about them, but how fun would that be!

hi,

first go to www.richardspens.com and read some of his articles on vintage pens. go to www.penhero.com for additional info. follow the links both gentlemen supply and read and ask questions here. no question is stupid, since in order to ask a question, you need to know 3/4 of the answer. you can also look thru books--go to the local library, barnes and noble or borders near you and read. please don't drool on the books (lol).

welcome to this glorious hobby!! regards, aunt rebecca

:bunny1: :bunny1:

:ltcapd: :roflmho: :ltcapd:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Well Brian i'm not going to make my fortune that's for certain.

I've been advertising for about a couple of months now.I'm lucky in that I live in a city with a local paper with a large circulation.Each week it has a pull out classified ads section which is free for non businesses to advertise in.In England this kind of supplement is very popular.I simply e-mail them my ad and in it goes.It hasn't appeared every week.I suppose it's the luck of the draw but it's been in most weeks.

I might get half a dozen calls a week.I advertise for all pen related items as well as fountain pens.It has been mostly the over fifties that reply but I don't think that implies that only they read it.I think it's that younger people are more aware of the options for selling their goods.

I've visited about a couple of dozen people and only twice have I been disapointed.One was down to the items condition and the other was low end junk.

The pricing is the nervy part.I don't want to rip people off but I still need to keep within my budget.The most i've spent was £100 pounds in one visit but I did get the boxed 51 Presidential set.I've never written a cheque so fast in my life.(I don't take cash with me).He'd had the pen valued at a jewellers (obviously didn't know anything about valuable pens) so he knew exactly what he wanted for it and I certainly didn't try to knock him down.

Pricing is always going to be tricky at first if you haven't been collecting long like me.There are lots of resources out there to aid you now though and most evenings that's usually what I do,be it pen web sites or e-bay completed listings.

Most people don't have any idea really.Despite the fact that most people say come and see what you think it's worth,they will usually give you a price if you ask.I try never to mention a price first.I let them do that.

If i'd had to pay to advertise I might have thought twice before doing it,but seeing as it's free what have I got to lose.Now,knowing what I do,i'd still pay for the service.

Oh and people often have other items they want to sell.They'll ask you if you collect other stuff.A general knowlege of all things collectable is very handy.

I have a seperate bank account so I know the wife won't get upset.Crucial.

I initially thought of doing this so that I could sell on any items I didn't want to fund the purchase of pens I did.It hasn't quite turned out like that.I've kept 90% of what i've bought.I'm still dependant on car boot sale finds to keep my little venture going.

P.S. The day fountain pens start appearing on shows the 'Antiques Roadshow' i'll cry buckets.

Where to buy - revisited !

I forgot to mention Andreas & Margie, Pam, Giovanni, Richard Binder, Andy, Alan Koo, David Nishimura, Dennis and Madelyn Bowden, Elizabeth Herried, jean-michel lewertowski, Jeff Peirce, Lex, Lynn Brandt, Patrick Conlon, Bob Speerbacher, Sheila Quinn, Joe Stevens, Todd & Theresa Nussbaum, Savas and William Sexauer.

All of these folk have sold me pens or pen related stuff. All were friendly, fair and fast and most important HELPFUL when I was a raw beginner.

My thanks to all, and if I've missed anyone else - apologies.

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I might get half a dozen calls a week

Wow, that's awesome, good for you. Glad you're getting some response. I don't know of any similar free venues here, but I always thought if I had to pay for the add it probably wasn't going to be worth it. Now it makes sense. If you spot an all gold Relief pen and pencil set, let me know! ;)

Best-

Brian

Modern: Richard Binder; Pam Braun; FPN; Worldlux; Swisher.

Vintage: The Two Davids (Nishimura & Isaacson); FPH; here :); Pentrace board; Ebay (horrible luck there, but I'll keep trying).

Edited by offbase