Pilot 78G (F) and Uranus (F)/Norman Haase, His Nibs/Facilitates Shorthand Penmanship

jomcsr

After years of using other pens, both expensive and cheap, I came across The Fountain Pen Network and read a few reviews. I came across information on the Pilot 78G fountain pen, HisNibs.com, and Norman Haase.

Always searching for the ultimate in fine line nibs, I never could find just the right one. I contacted Norman Haase at HisNibs.com and ordered the Pilot 78G in a fine nib. Norman was very attentive to my inquiries and needs and quickly responded to all E-mail within 30 minutes or less. I ordered a Pilot 78G fine nib and LOVE IT! In fact, I love it so much that I ordered a second. Never have my shorthand notes been so clear. This pen is a true joy. In shorthand, angles, curves, circles, as well as proportions are so crucial. The Pilot 78G facilitates these shorthand necessities with no problem. The ink flow is just right, whether writing at break-neck speeds, or with firm or light pressure, et cetera. Also, where a lot of other fountain pens fail during the execution of the long upward strokes, the Pilot 78G does not. Most pens tend to lighten up during this stroke or skip. The firmness of the nib is just right, also.

I am only sorry I did not know about this site before wasting time and money on other pens and with other companies before finding this very light-weight, cheap wonder. It is only too bad that Pilot has discontinued this model of pen.

I have also purchased a fine nib Uranus from Norman and find that it too is a very nice pen, which has a very fine nib. All the other fine and extra fine nibs I own seem to be mediums. I would not hesitate to recommend the 78G (while reserves are still available) and Norman Haase at HisNibs.com, a first-class company. Norman's expertise, guidance, and excellent service are next to none, complete with the little old-world notes, closed with sealing wax and stamp, a very personal touch, which is RARE in this day and age!

James O. Moyer, III, CSR

Certified Shorthand Reporter

Philadelphia, PA

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Federalist Pens

• mucephei

• kwpalzang

• thrage1

Glad you like your pen. I think you did the right thing getting an extra one. I think there are many cases where people found a pen that really fit their style and then a few years down the road looked for a replacement or extra and could not find one.

The good news for you is that the nib on this pen is apparently also used on a few other pens, like the Pilot Knight and the Pilot Prera (sp??). Check out the threads on this topic and you might find another delight, though not quite as cheap as the 78g.

Good luck, jc

I recently acquired a couple of the 78Gs (an M and F). The M puts down a beautiful line, finer than any of the fines I own to date by my eye. For days I couldn't put it down scribbling inane comments on my desk pad. It is a fantastic writer and a great value. I haven't inked the F yet. I'm afraid I might soil myself in my excitement if it is a satisfying as its cousin.

I also acquired a 78G recently- Medium point.

I am very happy with the nib quality, and smoothness

at this price point!

This pen will use pilot cartridges!

I also recommend Hisnibs.com

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

• 1 year later...

Hi I recently bought a Pilot Prera and I love the nib because it feels so similar to the Namiki Vanishing Point. Is the fine nib on the 78G similar in feel and smoothness and size to the Prera or Vanishing point?

"Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into the enemy's strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit."

I emailed Pilot asking if the 78G was discontinued, their answer was to the contrary. You can get them CHEAP on eBay, with free shipping to boot!! I have yet to get one myself, but I plan on it...

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Glad you found the perfect pen and all, but...

Tell me about shorthand reporting. 30 years ago when I started the practice of law there were several pen writers around. Before I paid attention to FPs several of them retired, so I only remember that one used an Esterbrook, and one a Parker 51. I recall the Esterbrook being filled during breaks in testimony. The owner of the 51 would set an open bottle of ink on the desk/table and dip the nib during breaks so he never had to actually refill.

As I recall they all used the shorthand pads, spiral bound at the top, lined pages, and a red line down the middle(?).

Jim, would you share your experience as a pen reporter? Where did you train, what kind of pens did you use then, favorite inks? Can a pen writer keep pace with a steno machine? Are there many of you in Philadelphia?

Thanks,

gary

I have a NOS Gregg nib here, if you ever acquire an Esterbrook to fit it.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

• 3 months later...

I emailed Pilot asking if the 78G was discontinued, their answer was to the contrary. You can get them CHEAP on eBay, with free shipping to boot!! I have yet to get one myself, but I plan on it...

The 78G is still available at a lot of places at varying prices.

I bought mine from Hong Kong for under $7.45 each.

Whether it's discontined or not - I looked at all of Asian Pilot sites and there is no trace of it at all on any of them.

Very odd since it's an Asian market only pen.

Edited by Black Rose

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse