Parker Duofold AF and NS

vans4444

Parker Duofold NS (New Style) Duofold AF (Aluminium Filler)

I brought these pens from eBay, I have checked on the internet and believe one to be a Duofold NS and the other a Duofold AF.

The NS was made in England between 1946 and 1948. The nib is marked “Parker, Duofold, 14K, Pen, N” The N is for Newhaven where the nibs (and for all I know) the pen was made. The pen colour is Glossy Chocolate Brown.

The Duofold AF was made in England between 1949 and 1953 and is a slightly darker brown, almost black.

The pens are almost exactly the same length and the caps are almost identical and seem to be interchangeable. The nibs are also very similar, however the nib on the AF is not original, it comes from a later Duofold. It is stamped “Parker 14K England 35 9”.The external difference between the two models comes in the binding cap. The NS has a jewel, the AF does not. The binding cap on the AF is slightly longer than the NS. With the binder cap removed the AF has more brass showing, including brass threads and the button is slightly longer.

The NS is at the bottom of the photograph

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/DuofoldNSandAF1.jpg

First Impressions (8/10) – I prefer black and gold pens, but in both cases the brown is very dark and acceptable. They have nice clean lines and a solid smooth feel. They are certainly not on mint condition, but are perfectly usable.

• Appearance & Design (7/10) – They are made of plastic or resin, I confess I don’t know the difference. They feel well made, solid and bearing in mind their ages of between 50 and 60 years they have lasted amazingly well. I think this testifies to the original high standard of construction. Ornamentation is simple but of good quality. They both have a single rolled gold band on the cap with a simple \\\///\\\/// type pattern etched into the band and a small space for engraving initials. Each has the distinctive Parker golden arrow clip. Again, in view of the age of the pens the clips have lasted very well, they almost look like new. Both pens have a jewel on the cap. They feel comfortable, solid and well balanced in the hand

• Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – Measuring them on an old school ruler shows them to be 13.2 cm posted. Posted the pens feel a very comfortable. The weight is just about perfect. They are not as heavy as many metal pens and not as light as my Pilot 78G. I can use these pens all day.

• Nib & Performance (9/10) – The nibs are both 14k gold and are a joy to use.

I think the AF nib is fine and the NS medium. The AF has a later Duofold nib and is a fantastic writer. It is almost silent on the page, with no skipping and exactly the right amount of ink flow. The NS is wetter than the AF with no skipping. Both are reliable and start first time. The NS makes a “writing” noise, very similar to the squeak of a Pilot Capless medium nib.

The NS is on the left

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/DuofoldNSandAF2.jpg

• Filling System (9/10) – They could hardly be easier to fill. Dunk the nib in the ink, press and release the button, wait a few second and that is it. As mentioned neither of these pens have been serviced. The AF does not hold as much ink as the NS and I assume this is an issue related to its age rather than design.

The AF

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/DuofoldAF.jpg

The NS

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/DuofoldNS.jpg

• Cost & Value (10/10) – I brought both these pens on eBay each for less than £12.00 each and use them in rotation with a couple of other pens. Both pens were poorly described on eBay and were in better condition than they appeared, so I may have got them a little cheaper. Renovated Duofolds obviously command significantly more money. My Sailor 1911 EF and Pilot Capless medium have (perhaps temporarily) been sidelined in favor of these Duoflolds.

Conclusion (Final score, 8.66/10) – In summary, these are a good quality, reliable and cheap pens. They have become my daily workhorses. In addition to these, my little collection includes some Duofold Aeromatics (Junior, Senior and the standard Duofold) and except for the filling system this review is equally applicable to them all. I will certainly send both the NS and AF away to be serviced and renovated. I have no idea if the cost of servicing these pens is financially sensible but I like them both and want to ensure I get years of life out of them. OK, reality check, so they are not quite as smooth writers or look as good as a Pelikan M600 or Sheaffer Intrige but the are a fraction of the cost and 60 years older. However, they do have a certain "feel" to them that I find difficult to express that keeps me wanting to use them over my modern pens.

NOTE - I am very new to fountain pen collecting and therefore, if I have made any historical errors please let me know

References

This Russian Parker site (I wish I understood Russian) has an interesting cutaway drawing showing the filling mechanism, and further down the page has a photo of a disassembled NS.

http://www.parkerpens.ru/restore/BF-repair.html

This may be based on Richard Binders list of types of filling systems

http://www.richardspens.com/

Filling instructions

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Parker/P...ofoldFiller.htm

Identification of Duofold NS

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/pa1098.shtml

Edited by vans4444

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• vans4444

• breaker

• celluloid

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent review ;) I am looking or a duofold af and a duofold ns.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

I think the red parker looks pretty special.

But I don't have that pen.

If I did I would stop using all the rest of my pens.

But you have very good taste :thumbup: