Stipula Vedo Review

Phormio

Well this is my first review and I thought I'd do it on my brand new pen, the Stipula Vedo.

Now I am aware that there has already been a review on the vedo. That particular unit was the piston filler. This is the cartridge converter version.

The other review can be found here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=61660

OK, so I bought the Vedo for a reasonable price from a UK vendor. At the time I wasn't ware of the piston version and at first was a little disappointed that I didn't order that particular pen. I understand the price difference between the CC and the piston is about $30-$40 Australian. That was quickly forgotten when the pen arrived!!

The pen I ordered was in blue, here's a picture:

post-23546-1241765554_thumb.jpg

I nicked the picture off the net but it is a true representation of the pen. The other difference between the CC and the piston (besides the obvious) is that the CC has a smaller viewing window than the piston. Whilst you see less ink, you do get to enjoy more of the swirly pattern in the pen. In addition to that, being a CC the viewing window will never stain.

Specifics: Stipula Vedo, Cartridge Converter, Medium Nib, IP nib.

colour: Blue swirl with silver nib and clasp.

Material: resin (assumed acrylic)

Cap: threaded, screw-on

Length: Ok, I don't have exact measurements here but it is nearly identical in length to the Waterman Phileas and the Parker Sonnet 07 when capped. Unposted, it is the smaller of the three but only marginally BUT, for my hand at least, the slight difference between the lengths is enough. I can use each of these pens posted or unposted, but my preference with the Vedo is posted.

Weight and balance: this is a light pen, and the difference is quite noticeable if you post the pen or not. However, it is not detrimental and for my money using the pen posted is the preferable option, as it adds the right amount of weight for my hand. I have no problems with the balance when using the pen posted or unposted, so it has been well designed in that regard.

Nib: According to Stipula, this is an iridium point. I got the medium size and I was very satisfied with the way the pen wrote from the outset. Now, in saying that, I am using Waterman FB in the pen at the moment as this is my standard from which I measure other inks and pens by. In this case, I found the nib flowed nicely over the page, with a little feed back. By comparison it reminded me of my waterman Phileas (which I also have in medium) except it was slightly smoother with a finer line width. There was no skipping with this pen and the ink flow was consistently good. By comparison with the Waterman nib, the line was thinner, the flow not as wet, just as smooth with a little feedback, which was reassuring. If I was to give it a score, it would rate 4.5-5/5 for performance as a writer.

Ink filling and capacity: OK, so this is the CC version. Fortunately, I received the converter with it, which is a twisting piston version, as opposed to a slide pump. For a converter I thought it's capacity was good (though clearly inferior to its piston cousin) and filling it though the nib was easy. I have not tried a cartridge in it yet, even though stipula did provide one. Putting the converter on the pen it felt like a snug fit and there has been no sign of leakage anywhere on this pen.

Overall:

I am pleased with the look, feel and finish of this pen. It is an easy to use pen that is a nice writer. It is a pen I am happy to recommend to anyone.

Cheers,

Phormio

Lots of wants, limited funds!

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cdvd

• Phormio

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review.

I just received the same pen in ruby red and it looks and feels great! However, I did not receive a converter with the pen. I have tried to put in several standard converters and none seem to fit. I even tried a Levenger converter without the metal sleeve around the end. It still would not go on. (I did not want to try to force it on for fear of breaking the connector.)

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need a special converter from Stipula?

Thanks, Chris