Varuna Vishal

Univer

1. First Impressions

When I first picked up the Vishal, I was reminded of the unique combination of attributes so often encountered in today's Indian pens: the juxtaposition of traditional (even anachronistic) qualities with modern elements. The pen's material is about as traditional as it can get: black ebonite. Yet the finish (more about that later) and overall profile are contemporary and interesting. The initial impression is one of timeless, understated elegance.

2. Appearance & Design

The Vishal marries design features that might sound aesthetically incompatible; yet the combination works, resolving seeming incongruities into a pleasing whole. The cap top is domed, but the barrel tapers to a flat end. The black ebonite screams tradition, but the unbroken sweep of cap to barrel (they flow seamlessly) and unadorned simplicity are decidedly up-to-date. The portion of the cap above the clip - which is a nicely fluid modern one - is shiny ebonite, but the balance of the pen has a deeply textured matte finish.

That finish deserves a more thorough discussion. Steve at AllWriteNow describes the finish as "raw ebonite," inviting comparison with the finish of the justly-celebrated raw ebonite Danitrio pens. Candidly (and I've shared this opinion with Steve) I think "raw" may be the wrong adjective here: it suggests that a step (polishing) has been omitted for the sake of tactile interest. But the finish of the Vishal actually represents an additional process rather than a "missing" one: the creation - by hand - of a deeply grooved finish that calls to mind the distressed wood of a rustic antique. If you find the feel of ebonite warm and friendly, then you may find the Vishal even more enjoyable; the additional texture heightens the inherent tactile appeal of the hard rubber. If you can imagine the finish of the Lamy 2000 taken to the next level of surface interest, and applied to a traditional material, you will have a fair idea of the experience of handling a "raw" Vishal.

By way of comparison, the Vishal's finish is closer to that of a model like the Deccan Ambassador - another lovely modern Indian pen - than that of a raw ebonite Danitrio (although the Vishal's finish is even more intensely textural than the refined brushed finish of the Ambassador). Here - to the extent photographs can capture such nuances of texture - is a shot showing, from top to bottom, the Ambassador; the Vishal; and a raw ebonite Danitrio Densho.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/walterasheaffer/Pens/Three_Pens.jpg

And here's a close-up, slightly adjusted in Photoshop, of the Vishal's texture:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/walterasheaffer/Pens/Texture.jpg

To return to the theme of tradition combined with modernity: one way to think about the Vishal's finish is as a less formal version of the chasing that lent tactile and visual interest to hard rubber pens in the early years of the 20th century. Seen in that light, the Vishal's finish is both profoundly traditional and genuinely new.

3. Weight & Dimensions

My preference for large, light, wide-bodied pens is more than a matter of taste; Carpal Tunnel Syndrome makes it difficult for me to write with a narrow (or overly heavy) pen for more than a few minutes. The Vishal is admirably large and lightweight (only to be expected from an ebonite eyedropper). I have not weighed the pen, but it seems comparable to, say, a Danitrio Mikado in terms of heft. It is nearly 6" long, capped, and it extends to an imposing 7.25" when posted. (Quite honestly, I can't really imagine using this pen that way; it does post, but rather awkwardly.)

The pen is broad as well as long; the barrel is just over 0.6" at its widest point. There is a fairly pronounced step from barrel to section, but the section is still comfortably wide, with a convex profile that is easy to grip and fatigue-free in use. For those who grip their pens low on the section, the designed-in flare should be helpful. For those with a high grip, the ebonite threads are (to my hand) unobjectionable.

Let me note here that the pen's cap threads were initially a bit "tight" in operation: nothing problematic, and fairly typical, in my experience, of a brand-new, handmade ebonite pen. I have found that they "wear in" just fine with use.

4. Nib & Performance

Here we have another instance in which the Vishal brings together traditional and modern elements. While the pen uses what is arguably the "oldest" ink delivery system among fountain pens - eyedropper filling and ebonite feed - the Vishal's feed is customized by AllWriteNow to deliver writing performance that represents a significant improvement over antique eyedropper designs. Such designs are typically plagued by tendencies to ink flooding and blotting (just page through a few dozen early pen advertisements, if you want to get a sense of the prevalence of such issues), and while those problems are often attributed to the eyedropper system itself, they are also a function of the primitive feed designs of the day. The Vishal's feed features a more modern design, with a greater number of ink-collecting fins to buffer ink flow. The result is a pen with all the positive qualities of a traditional eyedropper, and very few of the negatives.

My pen's nib is a tipped steel Wality medium, neither excessively wet nor stingily dry. I like Wality nibs - the mediums in particular - and I find this one an excellent writer. It is true to width, smooth and firm, with perhaps just a hint of pleasant feedback. I understand that the pre-delivery "dealer prep" for each AllWriteNow pen includes nib smoothing (as necessary) along with ink-flow testing and tuning; I don't know whether this nib required such attention, but it is, in any event, a fine performer. It has always started immediately when uncapped (I have read that another "upgrade" to AllWriteNow pens is the installation of an inner cap, a feature that would promote such good behavior), and has not leaked or "blobbed" a single drop of ink.

The Vishal can optionally be fitted with a 14K nib - new or vintage, depending on available stock. In addition, the standard steel nib can be custom-ground to a cursive Italic.

5. Filling System

As previously mentioned, the Vishal's filling system is hardly a "system" at all: it's a pure-and-simple eyedropper. I'm fond of eyedropper pens, both old and new, but I must admit that I am attracted by the prospect of an eyedropper that doesn't suffer from some of the compromises usually encountered in such designs. The VIshal holds a huge quantity of ink - tankfull, barrelfull, choose your metaphor - and should afford days of writing without a fill-up.

6. Cost & Value

I purchased my Vishal from the AllWriteNow website for $45. It was shipped speedily and faultlessly packed (in fact, buyers who can't wait to get at their new pen acquisitions may find Steve's overprotective packing a bit frustrating). Note that the Vishal is also available in a polished ebonte finish, and that both "raw" and polished finishes are available in colors other than black; I think a "raw" mottled brown would be very interesting indeed. Note also that the Rajan, another model, is essentially a Vishal with a flat, rather than domed, cap top. To my mind, the Vishal is a genuine bargain.

7. Conclusion

The Vishal is a large, attractively styled pen, fitted with an excellent nib and a reliable filling system. It has great integrity of materials and craftsmanship, and Steve's personal attention to pen performance (and customer service) inspires well-deserved confidence. All of the foregoing statements are true of the polished Vishal as well as the "raw" model, but I think the latter adds another layer of beauty and distinction; its unique take on the traditional textured ebonite pen makes it a true standout.

I think we are fortunate, nowadays, to have a truly remarkable diversity of pen choices available to us. Not so very long ago, someone seeking a modern pen made from traditional materials like celluloid or ebonite would have confronted an extremely limited number of options, many of them stratospherically priced. The same was true of individually artisan-made pens; they were few, far between, and costly. That unhappy situation has changed dramatically in the past few years, due in no small part to the fact that the pen collector/user community now has greater access to the interesting and appealing products of India's pen-making industry. These instruments give vintage-pen enthusiasts like myself the option of using a traditional eyedropper-filled ebonite pen as an everyday writer, without risking a fragile or valuable antique; and they give new users the opportunity to experience the pleasures of such traditional designs without the high entry costs (and risks of disappointment) often associated with the purchase of a vintage pen. I am grateful to all the pen lovers - many of them FPN members - who have made it possible for a wider world to enjoy these pens.

If you have been curious about ebonite Indian eyedroppers, the Vishal (or one of its sibling models) is well worth considering. Add to its inherent virtues the visual and tactile appeal of its unusual finish, and you have a very attractive package.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Univer

• AllWriteNow

• Silvermink

• loweevan

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. Well done.

I have been thinking abut trying an Indian pen. The raw ebonite character of this pen does remind me of my beloved Danitrio raw ebonite pens. I love the Dani's in the matte finish, and this (Batak? - sp.) finish seems to take that concept to another level. The comparison photo with the Dani Densho might have pushed me over the edge. I love the Densho size, and I was unaware the Vishal was so large.

I also appreciate the care the seller takes in tuning the pens. I think I am going to put a Vishal on my buy list for next month.

Thanks for such a comprehensive review of the Varuna Vishal. The level of detail was excellent and I hope we will see more reviews from you in the near future.

Just noticed your review. I have the rough finish Rajan, which I've also just reviewed. On mine, the end cap and section are rougher than the main parts of the pen, so sort of the opposite pattern from yours. Being an artist, I like it that the texture resembles vine charcoal!

Edited by QM2

Hi,

Yes, it turned out to be Varuna Review Week...who knew? ;)

Your review was superb - lovely photographs. How interesting that the Rajan's section design is so different from the Vishal's (apologies for not including an uncapped photo).

The comparison to vine charcoal is strikingly apt!

Cheers,

Jon

Hello,

thank you for this wonderful and subtle review . I was immediately drawn to these unusual and beautiful fountain pens , and after having read your review (but also those of Rwilsonedn and more recently QM2), I decided to order a Vishal . Steve answered swiftly (and very kindly) and , as he does the finishing, asked about the texture , I've decided I wanted the most textured .

There is something special about this pen, I'm quite sure.

How interesting that the Rajan's section design is so different from the Vishal's (apologies for not including an uncapped photo).

I was actually curious about that after reading your mention of a step down into a section with a rather large flange. Could you post a picture? I guess I'm having a hard time seeing it not like the Rajan.

Also, perhaps someone can answer a question about the clip for me. Can one spin the domed top off of the cap, remove the clip, and replace the dome? Or, is the clip unable to be removed? I ask because I remember seeing one on the board awhile ago that had been turned into a collection of various parts of other pens (clip, nib, something else?).

Edited to add the thanks I forgot to give to Jon for an outstanding and comprehensive review. :headsmack: Really wonderfully done.

Edited by loweevan

- Evan

Hi Evan

Yes the dome or the flattop can be removed.

There is a small indentation left from where the clip was mounted.

It can be minimalized yet it does remain.

Thank you

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

Hi Evan

Yes the dome or the flattop can be removed.

There is a small indentation left from where the clip was mounted.

It can be minimalized yet it does remain.

Thank you

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I was mostly just curious. Now all I have to do is decide between Vishal and Rajan... :hmm1:

- Evan

I already bought a Vishal (should be in shipping right now), but could you please post a picture of the part were the section meets the barrel and a picture of the nib?

Mittagessen

"I think we are fortunate, nowadays, to have a truly remarkable diversity of pen choices available to us. Not so very long ago, someone seeking a modern pen made from traditional materials like celluloid or ebonite would have confronted an extremely limited number of options, many of them stratospherically priced. The same was true of individually artisan-made pens; they were few, far between, and costly. That unhappy situation has changed dramatically in the past few years, due in no small part to the fact that the pen collector/user community now has greater access to the interesting and appealing products of India's pen-making industry."

I agree with your take. How things have changed for the better in only a short time. I think will be doing some business with the Indian pen industry soon to appreciate their wares.

We really are lucky to see such a range of FPs now offered that there is a pen for everyone and that perhaps, that is the way it should be. The appreciation of a great fountain pen really shouldn't be only about how much it costs, but how well it writes and allows one to establish a more direct link between the brain and the written word.

Thanks for your great review and observations

Thanks, all, for the kind words. I somehow managed to miss some of the replies; I'll post an uncapped photo ASAP.

Cheers,

Jon

Does anyone (Steve?) have pics of the different Bakul finishes? I'm thinking of picking up a Varuna and would like to know how the different levels of grain look.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I can get some taken.

I do each pen individually when ordered so as to get the finish to the owners desired level of texture.

I've even been know to do the finish over when it wasn't quite what was wanted.

I'll texture a couple pens and post tomorrow.

I'll get the section photos up as well.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by luckygrandson
AWN%252520ADD.jpg

Bakul Finish

Here are the 2 extremes, more or less.

I can texture it anywhere in between and can make it even more textural than the pen on the right.

Steve

Edited by luckygrandson
AWN%252520ADD.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Really like that heavily-textured one... hmm...

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

These reviews have convinced me to make this my next purchase. I'm not usually a modern pen guy, but I really like the look of these. Now I just need to decide if I should wait for a vintage EF nib to be available....

Edited by Balog

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

I got mine today and I love it! It looks and feels handmade (the barrel is not perfect, but has small irregularities in it) and takes a lot of ink. The fine nib is smooth and puts a nice thin line on the paper.