Sheaffer's Skrip Peacock Blue

dizzypen

Here is a review of Peacock Blue. It's another bright eye searing color (hard to capture in the photo), but this is one you can use everyday without worrying about giving yourself a migraine. It is a great light blue and is very well behaved except that it will bleed through a little on cheap or very thin paper. Bleed through does not bother me because I don't write on both sides of the paper.

Important bits:

Very well behaved.

Some bleed through depending on the paper (none on Rhodia)

I have observed no feathering even on poor paper

Flows readily and offers decent lubrication

Shading is good with the write pen/ink/paper, but nonexistent with others. I get great shading in my Levenger Illuminator on composition book paper.

It's dry in about 5 secs.

It does not even pretend to be waterproof.

Even though it is vintage it does come up for sale on ebay from time to time.

This picture was viewed on 2 monitors and shows true to color.

http://images47.fotki.com/v1477/photos/4/1482744/7318469/PeacockBlueCard-vi.jpg

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzypen

• Bleep

• Ondina

• chkuo

Looks like a pretty color, but may be a bit too light for me. Do you have problem with this one drying in the nib?

nope, no problems with it drying on the nib. It is a very well behaved ink. I'm using it right now as a matter of fact. It is a bit light and bright, but not so light as to make it impossible to use. From what I understand, in it's day it was a popular school ink.

ETA: It is comparable to Waterman's South Seas Blue.

Edited by dizzypen

I was going to mention also that I hardly see any difference with my Waterman South Seas Blue. But is nice to have the nostalgic, vintage one.

Thanks for your review! Using index cards is handy. I like your format.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Thanks for your review! Using index cards is handy. I like your format.

Thanks Gran. Yeh I'm having better luck with the note cards, and the NavNeet brand is so good. I wish I could find more....

Sheaffer Peacock Blue is a great colour.It along with Parker Quink Turquoise were the two colours I used back in high school.Still have a few bottles of it that I use from time to time.

I still have a very small amount of Peacock Blue in stock. Wish I had more.

Like Dizzypen, I find it to be an ink which works well in most situations.

I find it to be darker than how it appears in the photo though suspect that is because the scan hits it with quite a bit of light -- more than under normal reading situations. My experience is that Sheaffer Peacock Blue has good saturation, perhaps not as much as Noodler's Navajo Turquoise but quite satisfactory for most purposes.

I still have a very small amount of Peacock Blue in stock. Wish I had more.

Like Dizzypen, I find it to be an ink which works well in most situations.

I find it to be darker than how it appears in the photo though suspect that is because the scan hits it with quite a bit of light -- more than under normal reading situations. My experience is that Sheaffer Peacock Blue has good saturation, perhaps not as much as Noodler's Navajo Turquoise but quite satisfactory for most purposes.

I should mention that while it is a little bit darker it isn't by much, but then again I am using it in a fine nib here... It also depends on the monitor. On my work monitor the shade is perfect on my laptop it is light.

• 2 weeks later...

Very pretty colour; I love turquoise inks.

@leoniethomas18

• 2 weeks later...
I think this looks very much (to me anyway!) like Diamine Aqua Blue. Check out the review and samples here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=91682

That seems like a fair comparison though Peacock Blue is a shade or two lighter.

Looks a bit like Visconti Turquise too (review here:https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50920&pid=487654&st=0entry487654).

I do a fair amount of margin scribbles and editing, so like an ink that stands out nicely!

Couldn't find these compared directly: anyone want to do more turquoise comparisons please (or did I miss it?).

DuPont Gold Dust Olympio Lacquer FP Fine (Visconti Blue)

Black Pilot Fermo FP Fine (Noodlers Coral Sea Blue)

Diplomat Black-Chrome FP Fine (Aurora Black)

Black Pilot Vanishing point FP Fine (not inked)

I think this looks very much (to me anyway!) like Diamine Aqua Blue. Check out the review and samples here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=91682

That seems like a fair comparison though Peacock Blue is a shade or two lighter.

Looks a bit like Visconti Turquise too (review here:https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50920&pid=487654&st=0entry487654).

I do a fair amount of margin scribbles and editing, so like an ink that stands out nicely!

Couldn't find these compared directly: anyone want to do more turquoise comparisons please (or did I miss it?).

DuPont Gold Dust Olympio Lacquer FP Fine (Visconti Blue)

Black Pilot Fermo FP Fine (Noodlers Coral Sea Blue)

Diplomat Black-Chrome FP Fine (Aurora Black)

Black Pilot Vanishing point FP Fine (not inked)

• 6 years later...

Oh, that Peacock Blue. I used it for about two weeks in sixth grade, until more than one of my teachers remarked that it gave them a headache when grading my homework. I had a few cartridges left, but that was the end of that. (I think that the following year, the school added a rule that said that the ink used by the students for schoolwork must be blue, blue-black or black.)

I don't know that I'd use it again, but it's a very eye-catching color :) Thanks for the memories.

Edited by onetake

Strange - I read this thread, get up from my desk to retrieve a glass pen, and come across a box of old Peacock Blue cartridges.

And I just put some in a 1 oz. nalgene bottle this morning to send to someone, along with some other vintage inks samples.

The original photo does not do the ink justice. It's might brighter than that, and for any who asks, it's certainly dark enough to be legible -- much more so than some inks I've tried (Herbin Gris Nudge, Diamine Kelly Green).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 year later...

I finally decided to use the one cartridge of this ink I got with the new-old-stock Sheaffer calligraphy set I bought on Ye Bay a few months ago (which I bought entirely to get another NoNonsense with a fine italic nib). Had to top up the cartridge with a couple of drops of water, not surprisingly, so I'm hoping I got the saturation right and am getting an "authentic" Sheaffer Skrip Peacock experience.

Obviously, I never actually read the reviews here, because I was expecting something teal -- which I wasn't so sure about, as I'm in the market for a good wintry ink, and teal doesn't really say "winter" to me. I was surprised to see such a sky blue -- which looks, to me, like snow shadows on one of those sharp, cold, bright winter days. So, yeah -- that works out quite well. I can see why you're such a fan, Ms. Morrisson.