• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricB

• dizzypen

• veganmark

• penguinmaster

Great review, Tom. Eel blue is one of my main "go to" inks.

BTW, I like your web sight. Keep it coming. :)

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

What a great website! Thanks.

ETA: the rest was moved to the appropriate thread.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

On my monitor this review (and a few others) have Eel Blue with an almost electric, neon and very saturated look. This is a look that I find very attractive, hence my purchase and experience with this ink. Alas, I have to report that Eel Blue does NOT have this very saturated and very cool quality to it's appearance. It is more neutral in it's temperature and does not pop off the page as this review does on my monitor.

On my monitor this review (and a few others) have Eel Blue with an almost electric, neon and very saturated look. This is a look that I find very attractive, hence my purchase and experience with this ink. Alas, I have to report that Eel Blue does NOT have this very saturated and very cool quality to it's appearance. It is more neutral in it's temperature and does not pop off the page as this review does on my monitor.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. That's exactly the reason I like this color, it seems to jump off the page for me. My closest comparison would be a bit subdued Noodlers Baystate Blue, not by much though.

Regards,

Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

I'm afraid I'd have to respectfully disagree as well. It most definitely is a saturated ink too (most Noodler's inks are). Here is a link to a list of ink photo's I did for you to compare it to others. Ink

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I'm afraid I'd have to respectfully disagree as well. It most definitely is a saturated ink too (most Noodler's inks are). Here is a link to a list of ink photo's I did for you to compare it to others. Ink

Dave

My experience with this ink is a lot closer to the scan you posted (on my monitor). In your link Eel Blue is #32. This is very close to my look of this ink which (again on my monitor) looks very different from the scan on this thread. So I guess I agree with your scan, if not your verbal description of it.

Edited by LuckyR

I'll have to respectfully disagree. That's exactly the reason I like this color, it seems to jump off the page for me. My closest comparison would be a bit subdued Noodlers Baystate Blue, not by much though.

Regards,

Tom

Funny, I was seeking a replacement for BSB as my original interest in this ink.

Does it compare to the PR American Blue in your opinion?

"God's not interested in operating a brownie-point system - he's only interested in loving and forgiving those who are brave enough not to deny what they've done. . . brave enough to be truly sorry, brave enough to resolve to make a fresh start in serving him as well as they possibly can" Susan Howatch

Does it compare to the PR American Blue in your opinion?

No, it's lighter than Pr-Amer.

Dave

Edited by blopplop

• 2 months later...

I must say I have different experience with bleedtrough on the Moleskine paper. Their is much bleedtrough in my opinion. I tried Pelikan M1000 fine and Montblanc 146 fine and both pen/ink combinations show bleedtrough. I don't think one can write on this side of the paper. Could you please tell me how you measure your rating system, because you gave it a score of 5 (bleedtrough = none) I tried three different Moleskine's

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3721147326_523a23fa59.jpg

Montblanc 146 fine

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3721147106_a7db387c91.jpg

Pelikan M1000 fine

Edited by woodworker

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=1018569:date=Apr 14 2009, 05:10 PM:name=LuckyR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LuckyR @ Apr 14 2009, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1018569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On my monitor this review (and a few others) have Eel Blue with an almost electric, neon and very saturated look. This is a look that I find very attractive, hence my purchase and experience with this ink. Alas, I have to report that Eel Blue does NOT have this very saturated and very cool quality to it's appearance. It is more neutral in it's temperature and does not pop off the page as this review does on my monitor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Regards,

Tom

Well, I have now taken the leap and acquired the vaunted BSB. You really would compare it to Eel Blue? Really?

I agree they are in the same family, tone-wise, but the coolness of BSB and the saturation are really off of the chart, esp when compared to Eel Blue, IMO.

The OP's scan does look somewhat like BSB but side by side they look very different to me.

<!--quoteo(post=1018569:date=Apr 14 2009, 05:10 PM:name=LuckyR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LuckyR @ Apr 14 2009, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1018569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On my monitor this review (and a few others) have Eel Blue with an almost electric, neon and very saturated look. This is a look that I find very attractive, hence my purchase and experience with this ink. Alas, I have to report that Eel Blue does NOT have this very saturated and very cool quality to it's appearance. It is more neutral in it's temperature and does not pop off the page as this review does on my monitor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Regards,

Tom

Well, I have now taken the leap and acquired the vaunted BSB. You really would compare it to Eel Blue? Really?

I agree they are in the same family, tone-wise, but the coolness of BSB and the saturation are really off of the chart, esp when compared to Eel Blue, IMO.

The OP's scan does look somewhat like BSB but side by side they look very different to me.

My opinion has remained unchanged. Now that said, the color you get, compared to the I get can be from tons of factors (pen, angle of pen, flow of pen, size of nib...etc). So you may get different results that make you feel it's not as close as a color. In my experience they have been relatively close.

-Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

I just got this and love it! Great, bright color. Smooth flow. Some shading. I have it in a Sheaffer Legacy stub known for sharp italic edges and they don't catch as much with this ink. Highly reco'd.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• 2 months later...

Hi,

http://facstaff.uww.edu/pellizzt/ink%20reviews/Noodlers%20Eel%20Blue.jpg

My ink is not looking this way.

It's more like this:

http://web.mac.com/rwboyer/scan0007-1.jpg

Please compare this two pictures, aren't this TWO different colours?

I'm very disappointed about this(last scan) Noodlers ink!

The last few weeks I have tested about 20 "blue" inks.

The last one was: Noodlers American eel Blue, is it the same like eel Blue?

To my eyes, this isn't a BLUE ink.

I would say, it's a south sea "blue", like Watermans or Diamines, w. I also have!

My reference is the Visconti Blue. For me, a (the) real BLUE ink.

Second, I also tested the The Iron Chancellor bulletproof prussian blue from Noodlers.

The same thing, for me, more green/gray then BLUE!

Very, very disappointed.

Hi,

My ink is not looking this way.

It's more like this:

Please compare this two pictures, aren't this TWO different colours?

I think the difference is the original photograph. Note the rather gray background for paper that is supposed to be 92 brightness.

Cameras are easily tricked by white paper and tend to render it as a grey card. Typically 2 - 2.5 stops over-exposure or exposure compensation is required to render it as white. When it is underexposed, the ink also looks too dark because it is underexposed too.

(This must have had some exposure compensation, because it is not THAT underexposed, but it needed more.)

I could do this more confidentially in Photoshop, but old Photoshop doesn't run on my new computer. Using Irfanview, and adjusting contrast to make the background nearly white, renders the ink lighter and more like your scan.

My bottle of Eel Blue looks exactly like the darker sample, not turquoise at all. Maybe the lighter stuff is mislabeled Eel Turquoise? Some significant batch-to-batch variation has been seen with certain other Noodler's colors.