Lamy's attention to details!

rickyriz

After reading many good reviews on Lamy 2000 and above all falling in love with its unic timeless design, at last I've got my own!

I can't add much more to what other fantastic FPN people already said on this great and excellent pen, I only want to focus the attention to Lamy products quality and their attention to details.

First of all there's a detail of the section of my pen:

post-16216-1238926248_thumb.jpg

post-16216-1238926267_thumb.jpg

As you can notice, if you look on these reviews:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=26083

post-16216-1238926304_thumb.jpg

http://pigpog.com/tag/fountainpen/

post-16216-1238926319_thumb.jpg

you'll find that there is a small difference: my terminal part of the section is all in metal material.

I don't know if all new 2000s now have the same section or not (I'm also a bit curious about it, if someone knows, please let me know) and it surely makes no distintion on its performance (or it's what I think).

But from my experience I learn that they constantly improve their product, even ones like the 2000 which has been more than 50 happy years in production ( and I wish other 50s in the future)!!!

There's another example: my Lamy Spirit mechanical pencil had the terminal part of the section which unscrew easily.

post-16216-1238926372_thumb.jpg

post-16216-1238926396_thumb.jpg

When I lost it (the pen) :( ,as it was a gift from my father, I re-bought it, and found this happy surprise:

they added a rubber o-ring to avoid the problem!!!

post-16216-1238927062_thumb.jpg

I think that the perfection in details and all these small attentions can easily go unnoticed and many people could say:I mean..isn't it the same thing?

I could agree, but for me that makes these medium-low priced pens worthing every cent you spent for, and often surpassing other expensive model!

And I do not mention performance in writing!

Finally, I add a comparison of different Lamy nibs, which can help someone to choose its own. I find the 2000's EF a bit thinner and drier than the Safari.

post-16216-1238926512_thumb.jpg

post-16216-1238926539_thumb.jpg

post-16216-1238926574_thumb.jpg

Hope it could help.

Saluti.

Riccardo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rickyriz

• Tsujigiri

• hari317

• DawnOfChaos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing these observations. The Lamy 2k is my favorite and has never dropped out of rotation these 5 years. I think I might want to get a new one to experience the improved section.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Did Lamy really change the section? I got mine just a while ago, and it has the plastic feed. Yours looks interesting, not sure about the performance difference.

I'll probably put a 2000 on the list for me to look at (I'm still very new with FPs). I also love your handwriting. :thumbup:

I sent a note to Lamy asking about changes to the 2000, but have not heard back yet. There was also a post that the piston now operates more smoothly too.

It seems like something they would do, though. Very Lamy-like. Those engineers!

The little o-ring is a nice improvement to the Spirit. I have an old Spirit ballpoint and I always check to make sure that little nose-piece is tight before I take it out of the house.

Edited by J English Smith

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I got my 2000 not long ago, but it's got the older-style section. Also, your handwriting is way cooler than mine.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

1) ..the piston now operates more smoothly too...

2) ..I have an old Spirit ballpoint and I always check to make sure that little nose-piece is tight before I take it out of the house.

1) it seems to me that. It's my first 2000, but I've heard before some complaints about a certain "stiffness" of the piston and I was a bit afraid about.

Well, it works well and has no problems or skips in the run. I have to admit that 2000's first runs were better than my Omas 360 first ones even it could be hard to believe!!! I hope this feauture lasts in future..the 360 now is right smooth!

2) yes, I did something like that..I fixed it with a teflon white tape (a very very thin film) used in plumbery..it works well, and I use the same now for my 4-5 years old Lamy Scribble 0,7 ...I'm wondering if they improve also this model!

did you find your pen locally?

I bought a week ago from an e-bay UK seller, I could check his auctions (none at the moment) and if he puts up for sale other 2000s I can ask him if he kindly verify this particular.

Obviously I'll advice you and link objects.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Edited by rickyriz

Saluti.

Riccardo

Nice, and sharp eye too!

I checked and my 2007 has the black insert. I suspect that this is some improvement in plastic moulding or something similar to the evolution of the Safari through the years as Woody showed us: from two pieces to assemble to one the cost cutting process is evident.

Thank you,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

from two pieces to assemble to one the cost cutting process is evident.

I agree, even if I thought that for some small components it was better make them in plastic materials than in metal one.

Probably their craftsmanship allowed that without many problems.

...the evolution of the Safari through the years as Woody showed us...

Wow!!! never seen a safari so "X-rayed" :thumbup:

thanks for the link!

Saluti.

Riccardo

Ricky, was this a brand new purchase or used? I'm really curious as to when Lamy made this 2000. I like the full brushed steel segment, giving it a more bold look. :) I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the pen, too.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Ricky, was this a brand new purchase or used? I'm really curious as to when Lamy made this 2000. I like the full brushed steel segment, giving it a more bold look. :) I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the pen, too.

It was a brad new. This modification was a really surprise..a pleasant surprise: I like the new look of the section, I find it a little more "solid".

Yes:I'm really enjoying my 2000. It's worth all time I waiting for!!

Thanks!

Saluti.

Riccardo

After seeing the e-bay seller from whom I bought my Lamy 2000 has put other ones in his auctions, I contact him and ask to check them.

I post the answer:

"Hi there

Only the XF pens have the all metal section, and then only some as others still have the plastic insert. i will be listing some more pens this week.

Martin"

so, I'm still not sure about the modification and if it's definitive..I think only way is to look at next 2000s sold..or buy another one after some time :rolleyes:

I hope it could be helpful!

ps:here's the link of his e-bay shop:

http://shop.ebay.it/merchant/martin_uk100?_rdc=1

No affiliation, but could interest someone.

Saluti.

Riccardo