• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• southpaw

• KendallJ

• krz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just received this ink... Michelle at Pendemonium said that it was pretty close to the colors that I wanted Tiananmen or Widowmaker, but were out of stock.

This ink is a redish brown. Side by side, it is the same color as the new and current Sheaffer's Skript Bown (which I already have) and I actually like the way it writes more.

:doh: :bonk:

I've been staring at the color for about 5 minutes. Can't get it out of my head. Never thought I'be be attracted to a color like that, but I am.

Between brick red and garnet to my eye. I have drunk 50-75 year old clarets (bordeaux to the euros and cabernet sauvignon to us yanks) that have had color like that, yet were perfectly sound and magnificent! Great memories came flooding back during that stare.

That stub really makes it stand out. Thanks for the look, Kendall.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks for the good review! Drying time is typical Noodler's I assume?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Southpaw, drying time for Noodler's Antietam is typical Noodler's--slow on better paper in my experience. I just love the color and had envisioned using in one of my Copper Esties, but won't likely buy more of it since it dries too slow and I smear it. It's not a left-handed ink. :(

HTH,

Ann

Thanks for the review Kendall.

I think I feel another order coming on. I filled my CS Amber Dandy with Cayenne last night. Whoa. What an incredible ink.

And with the paper I'm using now, it doesn't smear and I'm a lefty.

It really does seem to vary according to the paper and the pen.

Anyone have any thoughts on Habenero?

Fountain Pen Abundance

Ann,

I didn't realize that you were a leftie - or more likely, I forgot.

I have several Noodler's and haven't had any problems with smearing. I'm a leftie who neither overwrites nor underwrites, but drags my hand right across what I wrote. Granted, I haven't done that much writing with them, but to date haven't had problems with the Iraqi Indigo or Ottoman Rose. Swisher's Apricot Orange has also been smear-free, which is basically the same as I understand it - just a little faster drying.

I wonder if the paper makes a huge difference? I have done most of my writing on mass produced, low quality notebook filler. Some has been on a Cambride Limited note pad.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Yeah, I'm don't consider Noodler's inks to ALL be in the category of slow drying, and never had a problem wiht the Antietam.

Frankly I have more problems with PR - especially tanzanite.

I have added Tryphon Ink Safe to all of my inks now, and noticed that this does extend drying time.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Southpaw,

Yes, the paper you use makes a huge difference! I can use my Noodler's inks on cheap tablet paper with no problem. But I want to be able to use these pretty colors on Clairefontaine or Rhodia for snailing and I can't.

I also have Swisher's Apricot Orange. It seems to me to have very different properties. For example, it doesn't smear on Clairefontaine--but instead, feathers--unless I use a very fine nib (meaning fine italic, as that's what I use).

The waterproof colors/inks are different. I don't have the smearing problem with any of the four that I have.

I consider myself an overwriter, but I don't "crook" my wrist...But my hand still drags across what I just wrote. Maybe I write like you do.

Best, Ann

Ms. Ann,

While we may write with the same grip, having seen your magnificent handwriting, I can assure you that you do not write like I do :) .

Sincerely,

southpaw

Thanks, Southpaw!!!!!!!!!

...And thanks, Kendall, for the review.

Go ahead, Roger, and get some Antietam!! :D (It is a beautiful brick color.)

Ann

Hi Kendall,

Thanks for reviewing this interesting red. I always love seeing exemplars of inks I haven't seen before in a real sample.

My list of inks is getting too long again...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Go ahead, Roger, and get some Antietam!! :D  (It is a beautiful  brick color.)

I did, Ann! Right now I have more ink than pens (the price of being new). :rolleyes:

That is changing, though, and soon I'll have something into which I can put the Antietam. :)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• 2 months later...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/Antietam.jpg

It is based on the OLDEST ink in my vintage ink collection. By "oldest", I mean the oldest ink that could be viably rehydrated. As an ink color from the American Civil War era...the name was obvious to me.

I believe it was a type of ink made before the clear carmines, as it behaved like an 1890s carmine when rehydrated...yet obviously was a more complex color.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

• 2 months later...
Guest Denis Richard

Thought I would add my $.2 to the thread...

I bought a bottle of Antietam a few weeks ago when ordering other things at Swisher. Even though I'm not a big user of red or brown inks (I just get bored after a few pages usually), it was on clearance (still is, for $7.50) and I got one bottle.

As said above, it is a beautiful vintage red orange brown, with exceptional shading qualities. It is way up there with Ottoman Azure on that front; may be even better than OA. I have been using it as a regular daily ink, something I had never done with a colour in the red-family before.

Nice review, Kendall (and great handwriting, too). I'd never thought about that particular colour before, but you've got me interested now.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

I just received this ink... Michelle at Pendemonium said that it was pretty close to the colors that I wanted Tiananmen or Widowmaker, but were out of stock.

This ink is a redish brown. Side by side, it is the same color as the new and current Sheaffer's Skript Bown (which I already have) and I actually like the way it writes more.

:doh: :bonk:

Have to chime in! I got a bottle from Swishers and was expecting more of an ink in the red spectrum. From my CS fine italic what I got was a brown. It really wasn't what I was looking for but a dose of PR fiesta red has pushed it farther into the red zone.

K

• 3 weeks later...

I was ordering some other Noodler's Inks and Swisher had this on clearance (I hope they were just overstocked!). This is the first Red I could use as my main writing ink. I just love it. I will doodle with it just to see it come out of the pen! :D

All the best,

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 1 month later...