looking for a fountain pen

rabbit_39

Hello all,

I am new in the fountain pen world and need your help in selecting a good quality pen, preferrably around $60 or so but I can go to $75-$100. I will be carrying this every day, write journal entries and I have a habit of twirling/playing with my pens

What I think I'm looking for in order of importance:

- not have ink everywhere, in the cap etc

- good writing characteristic and balance. I'm trying to improve my hand writing

- inexpensive

- slimmer in profile

- simple, fairly unadorned

- good line variation

- I write smallish, I think I need a fine nib?

Thanks,

Andre S

Ps: lots of great info here, you guys are great!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• amin

• memphislawyer

• rabbit_39

Top Posters In This Topic

The line variation piece may be a stumbling block in that price range without getting something less expensive and having a nib meister grind it for you.

Consequently, for a tad more another suggestion would be a Pelikan 200 with a custom fine stub or italic nib from Richard.

However, if you're just starting out with pens, I might stay away from a more exotic nib at first and go with a basic fine and reserve the different shapes until you have a better idea of your writing habits, likes and dislikes. To that end, however, a Pelikan 200 is still good choice since you can always by a custom nib for it at a later date!

You may also consider the Pilot Knight which is a very nice and slim pen that has received some positive press.

If you're willing to consider vintage a Sheaffer touchdown filler can be found for a reasonable price and a TM (thin model) would fit the bill nicely. An admiral or crest, even a snorkel, can be found well within that price range and they are uniformly nice and easy to write with pens.

Another vintage suggestion would be a Parker "51" or 21, which somewhat started the slimmer pen trend. Understated and well made.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I will tell you one pen that I am using the most these days. I got a Visconti Midi Van Gogh with a medium nib for $105.00. It is stainless and i did pay extra to get it modified, but it writes so smooth and very wet. I tend to write small so I slow down with this. I have a Bexley that I paid $190 for and I dont enjoy it as much to be quite honest. I have been tempted to sell it and get the Maxi Van Gogh.

Sam

Given that you like to twirl pens, if you can twirl them as fast as some of my friends, any fountain pen with an exposed breather hole and good flow could drip ink as you twirl it.

I'd suggest a hooded nibbed, fine-tipped aerometric fountain pen in your case. They write for a long time, put down a relatively dry line and are excellent for people with small handwriting. I use a Hero 100 and Parker 51 (both with fine nibs) in a Moleskine notebook for routine notes.

Vintage Parker 51s can be had in your price range or you can go modern with a Hero 100. Todd at iSellPens.com is an excellent source for the Hero. Check Ebay or the the various pen message boards for Parker 51s.

For folks on a tight budget it's hard to beat the Hero 100, but for everyday writing you can't get any better than a Parker "51" or even a Parker 21.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

If you want to stay on the inexpensive side to start, I agree that a vintage Sheaffer Touchdown or Snorkel, or a Parker "51" or "21", would be great alternatives. All are on the thin side and have great fine to medium nibs generally. I would recommend only buying vintage Sheaffers that have been restored, however. All of these can be found on ebay for $30-60. I found a great Parker "21" for only $13 including shipping.

For a new pen, the Wality pens are very inexpensive and are great writers as well. I have the 69L that writes a beautiful fine line. I think it retails for only $10 or so, plus shipping. They can be found at: http://www.isellpens.com/airmailpencompany.htm

Here is a Sheaffer set that may still be available on the Marketplace:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=9793

Good luck.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

If you do the full around the thumb spins with the pen, a hooded nib is definitely a necessity - I had to train myself to stop twirling because most of my pens haev exposed feeds and boy do they splatter. If you're more of a spider twirler though, slowly moving the pen up and down through the fingers, then an exposed nib can work, but it can dry out depending on how long you like to keep the pen moving. Good luck!

You know, I would also look at the Waterman Hemisphere, which strikes me as a slim pen. This week, I am madly in love with Sheaffer Balance 875s, though, so I would suggest you look at vintage pens as well.