Montblanc F.Scott Fitzgerald LE-review

goodguy

Yes it’s me with yet another Montblanc Writers Edition pen. Yes I admit I am obsessed with these pens but hey it’s much better then booze right ?

My goal to own the entire WE family is one stop closer. The Fitz is WE number 12 and so I need 5 more pens for the complete the family (not including the ID, Vermeil Agatha or Dumas with the right signature).

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture032-2.jpg

There are few WE pens I never was blown away by and the Fitz is one of these pens.

It simply looks too close to the 146 and when I got it I saw I was right.

I also expected it to be bigger but that’s less of a problem because in no way you can call this pen small, just a matter to let the eye get used to.

Another thing I didn’t like is the small snow flake at the pointy end of the cap. It looks out of place like it’s not supposed to be there.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture033-2.jpg

From first impression you might think I hate this pen but the answer is no, I think all WE pens are great looking pens or else I wouldn’t be collecting them but from the entire family this pen is less favorite to me compared to some others.

So after the negative part is over let’s see what I do like about it. I always thought black and white go very well together and this pen doesn’t fail. The ivory white resin is stunning and almost looks like a mother of pearl.

The pen is very pointy on both ends which give it a character of its own compared to other WE pens. The black pointy cap has 4 rings plus the clip ring on it which makes it more interesting to look at. The cap shape reminds me a bit a bullet shape with a snow flake at the end.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture035-2.jpg

On the other end of the pen the bottom is also adorned with 3 silver rings. The piston knob is very comfortable to operate and sits right under the third bottom silver ring.

It’s smooth to operate and take a nice amount of ink, basically a typical MB piston (just the way I like it).

The nib is the most elaborated and detailed nib I ever saw and is for me the highlight of this pen. It made of what looks to me to be a set of geometrical shapes. Again not sure what that means and I would love to know if any of you know more about it.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture038.jpg

So the part of the visual is over and now comes the action part, how does the pen write.

Not very surprising this pen is very comfortable to use. It sits on the chassis of the 146 so no wonder its such a good writer. In fact closing my eyes and I think I would have hard time to differentiate between the Fits and a 146.

This pen is also light weight compared to other WE pens. Compared to the Shaw and Jules this pen is practically a light weight.

You can still feel the piston at the bottom of the pen but as a whole the pen is light.

It is also very well balanced sits very comfortably in the hand. The section isn’t too fat and feels very natural in the hand. This is a pen you can write with for a long time without feeling the strain on your hand and wrist.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture041-2.jpg

The nib is too fat for me. I love these F nibs that give you a lot of feedback. This nib is super smooth, its so smooth that it basically have no feedback at all, nothing. It simply glides effortlessly on the paper as if it’s hovering. Most people will love this nib but I must feel the paper to truly enjoy the writing. It has a very good ink flow so I think most people would simply love taking this pen and using it everyday all day.

Summery

This pen as you can see didn’t WOW me but it did surprise me in how well it handle itself in the place its most important and that’s as a user.

This pen is a wonderful everyday companion, I don’t think it will attract to much attention but it will give you great joy every time you will use it.

This is one of the relatively cheapest WE pens to find so if you want a MB WE pen for everyday use but don’t want to spend a fortune I would recommend this pen who heartly.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture044-3.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture045-2.jpg

PS-Tzutzik thinks this pen is a lot of fun too and instead of writing with it (as he usualy does with most other pens) he decided to simply play (gently) with it. then he told me its a great user and a fine looking pen.

What you dont believe me ? ha,you can ask him yourself :meow:

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• pathobby

• Trom

• mongrelnomad

The Fitzgerald isn't quite my thing either, but I never quite noticed the small star. However, congratulations on getting one step closer to completing the set. So what's going to happen when you're finished with the WEs? Going to move onto the POAs?

PS: Your photography seems to be getting better with time!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Getting closer to a full set! Congratulations.

The nib is the most elaborated and detailed nib I ever saw and is for me the highlight of this pen. It made of what looks to me to be a set of geometrical shapes. Again not sure what that means and I would love to know if any of you know more about it.

I imagine the Art Deco motif on the nib is there to be evocative of the Jazz Age of the 20s--the height of Fitzgerald's success while he was living and the setting of his most popular works (The Great Gatsby, Benjamin Button, The Ice Palace, Diamond as Big as the Ritz).

Edited by bphollin

I like the look of this pen very much, and it's a nice, forthright review with great photos. My fondness for Fitzgerald, who also shares my birthday, has nothing to do with it of course!

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Nice review and pen. It was on my want list, but bought a platinum facet instead.

The nib has to do with the art deco buildings and objects. 'Modern' looking 1920-1930's style. On the following website you can see some of the geometry style of your nib. Art Deco

Edited by Trom

Goodness gracious Goodguy. Chalk this one up to the people having differences. This is one of my favorites!!!. The pearlesence of the white, the balance of the admittedly smaller pen when posted, the awesome clip and for me the best nib of my WE. This is the one that is in my daily rotation. Give this another whirl. I LOVE this one!!

BTW, can't wait until you get the whole collection.

AndyW

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/weissela/David%20Oscarson/th_nibovercapII.jpg[/url]

The image on the nib, the shape of the clip, and the overall feel of the pen are meant to evoke the 1920's era of art deco, jazz, flappers, and endless black tie parties, in which Fitzgerald was most active as a writer. My copy of his short stories compilation, A Diamond as Big as the Ritz, has an image on the cover that is very similar to the nib design on the pen.

In my opinion, the Fitzgerald is one of the most tasteful and elegant modern Montblanc designs. If the nib does not have enough feedback for you, you can always have it adjusted. I really hope that you will grow to like this pen more and more with time!

Edited by QM2

Thanks for the great review. I actually like this pen and I have found you can still find them at a reasonable price compared to the other WE's. Love that nib as well and like you I prefer a F. Here is something I found on the MB site talking about the nib:

"Dignified tribute is paid to the origins of the legendary Art Deco style by the delicately engraved 1920s urban skyline that decorates the rhodium-plated 18-karat gold nib."

I use my Fitzgerald more than either the Faulkner or Hemingway (I know, I know), but it just seems to fit me better. For me, an interesting question was what color ink to use. The pen is black and white so at first I thought black would be best. But after remembering the symbolism of the light that Gatsby stared at across the bay and looking up the line "Gatsby believed in the green light, ...", I decided that MB Racing Green was the right color.

Thanks for the review. I hope you enjoy the pen.

I love materials and overall look, I consider it as one of the most interesting WEs, together with Wilde,Christie and Hemingway.

I think it's an attractive pen, so I suppose that it doesn't pass by so unnoticed as you say.

Or maybe my personal opinion as I have not any of others WE to compare with....I don't have any MB model actually..

..maybe one day :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review and for increase my wish dream list!

Edited: I can't forget to thank your nice cat to give you a hand leg to write this and other reviews ;)

Edited by rickyriz

Saluti.

Riccardo

In my opinion, the Fitzgerald is one of the most tasteful and elegant modern Montblanc designs.

I couldn't agree more QM2.

Congrats Goodguy and good luck for the next 5 steps

Edited by RedRob

Goodness gracious Goodguy. Chalk this one up to the people having differences. This is one of my favorites!!!. The pearlesence of the white, the balance of the admittedly smaller pen when posted, the awesome clip and for me the best nib of my WE. This is the one that is in my daily rotation. Give this another whirl. I LOVE this one!!

Dont worry Andy I like the pen.As I said even though it is less favorite then other WE pens I still LOVE it and enjoy looking,using and owning it.

I love all WE pens and they all are unique and beautiful in their own right.

Respect to all

Yes it’s me with yet another Montblanc Writers Edition pen. Yes I admit I am obsessed with these pens but hey it’s much better then booze right ?

Its a helluva lot more expensive than booze!

---

Anthony Rocco

Twitter: @applianceguide

I've just remembered...

today's my birthday

PH after FSF

Happy birthday :vbg:

Respect to all

I had one in my hand today. The pen without cap looked so small. Smaller than the 146 without the cap. Is this true?

I had one in my hand today. The pen without cap looked so small. Smaller than the 146 without the cap. Is this true?

Well the way I would describ it is that it is smaller then you expect but I wouldn't define it as a small pen.

I do wish it was bigger though.

Respect to all

Here it is next to a 149. I love torpedos, and the Fitz has a beautiful torpedo profile. :happyberet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_6508.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_6512.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_6509.jpg

I've just remembered...

today's my birthday

PH after FSF

Happy birthday :vbg:

:crybaby:

It's from 'The Great Gatsby'

:mellow: