• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loweevan

• HDoug

• cmenice

• penguinmaster

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using Nakahama Manjiro today. The ink, not the person. Maybe I can get some scans in later if I write something without any juicy personal content. But just wanted to chime in to say that color-wise, Nakahama is the color of poi. The stuff made from kalo (taro) they serve at luaus. It's a purple brown that looks purple on some paper and brown on others depending on the lighting. The really entertaining thing is that it goes on purple and dries in a few seconds to brown.

Doug

i have written samples sent from hdoug and from annie, and it looks nothing like how the above scan appears on my monitor (which indeed looks grey). My written samples look red at first sight. kind of what i'd consider a red-brown. the purplishness is there but you have to use your imagination a lot. same for the grey. it's kind of like a grey version of wine??? weird color, looks absolutely lovely. i'll get it once i break my ink moratorium, but right now i'm going to try really hard to actually empty a bottle before getting anything new. (how long do you think i'll last?!)

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

I just got some of this stuff today. When wet it looks brown-sepia-ish. When dried it looks like dirty motor oil. Unfortunately for me I prefer the wet color.

It seems to be well behaved and good flowing though.

Edited by cmenice

i have written samples sent from hdoug and from annie, and it looks nothing like how the above scan appears on my monitor (which indeed looks grey). My written samples look red at first sight. kind of what i'd consider a red-brown. the purplishness is there but you have to use your imagination a lot. same for the grey. it's kind of like a grey version of wine??? weird color, looks absolutely lovely. i'll get it once i break my ink moratorium, but right now i'm going to try really hard to actually empty a bottle before getting anything new. (how long do you think i'll last?!)

Mine doesn't have any red :crybaby: and barely any brown. Wonder if I got a bum bottle. That would probably mean both my bottles are bum bottles. I'm going to try it on some other papers and see what happens.

either way, I actually like the color the way it is. Of course I wouldn't mind having some that looks like the sample on jetpens.com

Edit: I tried the ink on some other papers (Apica, Rhodia, Ampad). Still looks like dirty motor oil when dry.

Edited by cmenice

This looks like a useful color for medical prescriptions, classroom attendance and grade rosters, and other handwritten documents that someone might be tempted to alter by writing over or adding marks/dots/letter strokes/letters/words. It is a unique color that probably isn't available in a disposable (or disposable-refill) pen.

I recall a post a while back in which a doctor said he was going to try R&K Scabiosa (a little lighter and blacker than eggplant skin) on his prescription pad because it was different from anything in a disposable pen. Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia looks like another one for this list!

Wow! What variety here. I just got a bottle from Jet Pens and it's a lovely dusty brown color for me. No red or purple. It dries to the same color that it goes on wet.

I tried the bleach test and it was fun to watch it quickly turn to a bright red.

I just got a bottle today too. A dirty motor oil seems to be the most accurate description so far. It reminds me of a mud that one might find in or near the ocean. I don't see purple in it on white paper, even though it's clearly there -- you can see it come off if you rinse the paper under the faucet.

- Evan

Here are a couple of scans I posted in other threads about the ink. I throught I'd post them here also for reference since this is a review thread.

This is on white Clairefontaine -- kinda purple:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/nakahamaclairefontaine.jpg

And here a close up on Kunst & Papier off-white paper:

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/nakahama/aluminum2.jpg

I like the color but it doesn't match the scan or some of the descriptions so far. I don't know if the variability is between batches, bottles, or eyeballs. I like the ink and have been using it to write letters asking, "is this brown or purple?" Some see brown, some see purple...

Doug

I'm gonna give this one another shot today. Shake the bottle up really good to see if it was a different batch or error the two times before. The weird thing is that in the bottle it looks nice and brown like people are suggesting, once on paper though, I get the color you see.

Also I want to try it on some different papers to see if that effects it. I'm guessing it won't though!

Thanks for adding in some of the other scans though, maybe it will give people some idea of the range they might encounter when buying this ink.

Regards,

Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

I've tried my bottle on different papers and the ink pretty much looks the same on all of them. When wet, it's a muddy brownish motor oil color. When dry, the brown goes away and it's almost like a dull dark dirty motor oil. I also found that I can mix this ink with water in a 1:1 ratio. This seems to allow more shading, but I still don't really see much or any purple. When I tried bleach the ink turned a cranberry like color. Not red at all.

Well, I always shake my ink too, and I have to go with dirty motor oil. To me, it appears as a variant of a thin black over a sepia brown or redish purple. I had expected much more of a reddish color looking at the Jet-Pens page with the swabs of color, although I should of read it better. Although on my screen the red tone is heavily present looking at the close up of the bottle. Mine is dead brown like Hershey's chocolate brown and does not look anything at all like the bottle of ink on Jet-Pens website.

It's not a bad color, and as stated it does behave very nice, although it is just not what I expected when I saw the original review.

Here is the photo on Jet-Pens:

http://www.jetpens.com/images/noodlers_4ap02_1.jpg

Here is my bottle:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/326091.jpg

PS: the lighting is a hair bright, but on my screen, the ink portion of the bottle is just what the ink color looks like when looking at the bottle.

Edited by Firefyter-Emt

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/PostcardBadge.png http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/InkExchange.png

My Website

Curiouser and curiouser. Here's my bottle.

http://homepage.mac.com/hdougmatsuoka/images/pen/nakahamabottle.JPG

Doug

Wow, just looking at those three bottles shows an amazing difference. Mine looks like Firefyter's. I guess in the right light it looks like a sepia, but it certainly doesn't come anything near a sienna. I'm really starting to wish that I'd had more than the 64-color crayon box growing up. Ha! I'll see if I can get around to putting up some scans from my bottle this weekend.

- Evan