Less than glowing Lamy Al-Star review

bphollin

Like so many before me, this is a first review of a first fountain pen. Looks like JFT beat me to the punch for today’s Al-Star review, but I have a somewhat different perspective. Mine is the silver (not lilac) Lamy Al-Star with extra-fine nib. After three weeks of use, I can’t say that I’m completely sold on the Al-Star. The pros certainly outweigh the cons, but I’m not convinced I can use this pen as my daily workhorse.

I purchased the Al-Star from Floribunda Stationery in Salt Lake City, Utah. I probably could have found a better deal online, but the folks at the shop threw in a converter and let me trade in the “lilac” I originally bought for the true aluminum color (which looks great next to my PowerBook, Doug). I didn’t notice the difference in color under fluorescent light, but sure did in natural light.

The Al-Star is certainly nicer than the Parker Reflex I was using before. It has shown me that I DO like writing with fountain pens and am willing to pony up for something nicer that will last me for years to come. As others have noted, it is a capable inexpensive pen rather than a "cheap" pen.

Design

I bought the Al-Star over a Safari because I like the color, which may have been a mistake. The aluminum body is far too soft to put up with my abuse. The pen has a number of noticeable dings, scratches, and abrasions, especially on the cap and on the bottom of the barrel by the “Y” of the LAMY logo. The plastic coating of the clip is already chipping away. This is the most disappointing part of the pen! I like the way it writes but hate the way it has held up so poorly in only three weeks of use. I can’t imagine this pen lasting for years as my daily writer...

I do like the weight of the pen when I write with it posted. I don’t seem to notice the finger grips that others have found to be so uncomfortable. I like the big ugly clip, especially since pens have a way of falling out of my pockets.

Nib and Filling System

This is an extra-fine steel nib. I must have purchased a good one, as the nib wrote fine right off the bat. I didn’t need to break it in with a brown bag or flush it with soapy water as others have recommended doing. I understand that “fine” and “extra-fine” are relative terms from pen brand to pen brand. I would compare my writing output with the extra-fine to that of a Pilot G-2 07mm gel pen.

I like the way the Lamy writes over the Parker Reflex and the Waterman Phileas (my only other fountain pen points of reference). Now that I’m used to writing with the Al-Star, the Reflex feels too scratchy (toothy?) to use! The Phileas that I borrowed was too wet and too smooth for my tastes, perhaps because it was a medium and I prefer a fine or extra-fine nib. I like that the Al-Star nib is stiff. It’s gone through receipts and multi-page forms just fine. I’ve written with it for hours and haven’t noticed any fatigue.

As others have noted, the nib tends to collect ink between the tines.

Ink

I’ve used three different inks with this pen. First was the Lamy cartridge of blue ink that came in the box. It must have been fairly unremarkable because I can’t remember too much about it other than it lasted me around four days. I next loaded it with Private Reserve Avacado [sic], which wrote very dry and yet was quite prone to smearing, in my opinion. I probably won’t be using this ink with this pen on a regular basis. I’m now using blue Sheaffer Skrip which has gone through three fill-ups and seems to be doing fine.

The converter doesn’t seem to last too long in my experience, but I’ve been doing an awful lot of writing lately.

Paper

I can’t say that I’m a paper snob (yet). My complaints seem to have more to do with the ink and paper rather than with the Lamy and paper. The Moleskine journal I used for a writing class has been notoriously bad about smearing with the Pilot G-2 and now with the Lamy. The PR Avacado was especially bad in it. I have an extra-large Cahier which holds the ink better and dries faster than the standard black notebooks.

I haven’t noticed any feathering on the Moleskine paper or on many of the other papers I use. The Al-Star writes well on an Ampad Gold Fibre Planning Pad, a Mead Five-Star composition book, and various qualities of nondescript laser printer paper. I’ve only noticed feathering on the cheapo filler paper I got on sale for thirty cents, and there’s not too much fuss doing the sudoku and crossword puzzle in the newspaper.

Conclusion and Overall Impressions

In general I like the way my Lamy Al-Star extra-fine writes. My biggest complaint is that the aluminum body is too soft and has picked up far too many nicks and dings in three weeks of use. I will probably keep this pen around and use it to grade student papers in the Fall, perhaps with the PR Avacado ink. If I knew three weeks ago what I know now, I would have opted for a less expensive plastic Lamy Safari that would have delivered the same writing experience and been less susceptible to my abuse.

--- End of review and shameless plug for advice ---

I’d appreciate any advice or recommendations for a next pen from you more seasoned FPN members. I’ve been eyeing the Lamy Studio because I prefer a nice, hefty pen and have come to enjoy the way the Al-Star writes. On the other hand, if the Studio is fundamentally the same as a Safari/Al-Star/Vista only in a fancier body, why not branch out? I’m starting to write my masters thesis, which means I’m willing to treat myself (on a grad student budget; $250 at the absolute maximum) to a pen that will get me through hours of writing at a time. Ideally it would have some heft to it and would have a large ink capacity. I’m often in the field, so it would need to play nice with Noodler’s Bulletproof ink. It would need to be able to handle abuse. I’m much more interested in function over form and I do prefer a minimalist style. And, of course, I’m looking for this to be the last pen I buy for a long time... Am I looking for the Lamy 2000? A Pelikan? A vintage pen (although I don’t like the look of the Parker 51)? Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Brandon

Edit: Added pictures

post-16154-1215545773_thumb.jpg

post-16154-1215545803_thumb.jpg

Edited by bphollin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bphollin

• KCat

• MYU

• jdboucher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can deal with the little nubs (some folks call them "ears") on the 2000, it may be your pen. I looked at one last week and loved everything but those little nubs which happen to hit exactly where my thumb and forefinger grip. They're very small and I might have adjusted eventually. Or I might have been highly annoyed at spending B&M price for a pen that I can't possibly sell on-line for the same.

I may try one if I ever notice a used one up for sale. The capacity looks good and it certainly seems like a sturdy pen. It's heavier than the Al-Star but not particularly heavy. I prefer that. Were it not for the nubs, it would have been ideal because the barrel design allows for virtually any grip otherwise.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

If your looking for a modern pen that holds a bunch of ink (relatively speaking), is comfortable, and will write nicely (in my experience) with the Noodlers Bulletproof line I'd suggest going for a Pelikan M600. It's a nice size to hold onto, holds a decent amount of ink. If you get it in a fine or extra-fine you'll be writing lots of pages no problem. That would be on the high side of your budget though. I believe martiniauctions has them going for between 200-250 right now.

On the middle end I'd say a Lamy 2000 would be nice. You can get them from Pam Braun @oscarbraunpens.com Good service, happy customer, no affiliation needed.

I wouldn't knock the studio either though. If you go with a 14k nibbed version there is a definite difference in the nibs.

Vintage has it's perks too though. A nice restored plunger filling sheaffer balance would suite you well, as well as Parker Vacumatic. I purchased my Vac from Isaacson (no affiliation) for a little over 200 and it was well worth it. The pen is gorgeous, writes like a dream and holds a ton of ink. Right now it has Noodlers Zhivago in it and has no flow problems.

I'd suggest if your looking at vintage at least e-mail David Isaacson and look through his site (www.(bleep).com) He has more than just Parker Vacs and can probably help you in the right direction.

IF and only IF your asking for what I'd do, I'd go vintage. Light pens that have been proven to work and come from the golden age of writing are extremely nice. Some of my best pens are vintage ones. Heck I even have a third tier University pen that puts some of my moderns to shame in the writing experience side of things.

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

If the only fault you can find with the Al-Star is its material, then by all means go with a Safari or Vista; they're the same in plastic. Unfortunately that's all the advice I can give you; I'm still really green as far as fountain pens go...

On another note, am I the only one here who has and uses an Al-Star that still doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it? :unsure: :blink: Granted, I've only had it for a month, and haven't been using it as much as I'd like, but still...

I can only speak to the 2000, which I love. Since you have a local shop carrying Lamy, do try before you buy to see if the 'ears' bother you, though. The capacity is quite substantial, the material won't show wear much, and the nib is very very nice. Mine is an extra fine, and others here will tell you that the 2000 nibs are listed about a size to a size and a half smaller than how they seem to actually write. My experience with FPs is limited to this one, so I can neither independently confirm nor deny that. Seems about right in comparison to rollerball widths, though.

As far as heft goes, however, the 2000 is pretty light. Solid, but light. I like that, you might not. I've tried posting the cap a couple of times and the balance felt thrown way off to me, so I don't do it. I've also read that others have posted for a while only to have the cap eventually refuse to post any longer after a few weeks. If you find you do want more heft and posting works for you, this might be an issue. To me, the 2000 feels so natural unposted that posting was really just an experiment.

If you're looking for minimalist styling and being able to handle abuse, I'd say look no further. I don't hesitate to take my 2000 to the beach or throw it in my pocket with cell phone, keys and coins. It probably has some surface scratches here and there, but the finish hides them well enough that I don't notice them. [Takes a close look at the surface under desk lamp] Yeah, I can see a few little nicks if I squint. Some on the clip are a little more visible, but you'd still have to be looking for them. Another thing to consider is that if what you're studying is at all dirty, it seems to me that screw-on caps are just asking for trouble - too many little crevices in the threads where grit can get lodged.

Pelikans look like nice pens and I don't doubt their reputation of quality a bit, but to me they look too delicate for field work, even without knowing what you're studying. Caveat: That impression is based on absolutely nothing but Internet photos. No reviews I've read of any M-series Pelikan has mentioned anything either way about durability. I'd be happy to hear different.

That's my $0.02. Good luck, and nice review of the Al-Star. It's great to hear different points of view.

Your findings are precisely why I steered clear of the Al-Star and went with a Vista. I really like the Vista, and find it a good workhorse pen. Plus, if you're into greater capacity, you can take a Vista and convert it to an eyedropper filler (replace the body with a Vista rollerball body and you're all set!).

The Lamy 2000 (L2K) is a great pen, but quality control at Lamy has been lacking a bit with the L2K, as some people have reported problems. When it works, it's great. The only notable drawback I can see, IMHO, is that the nib sizes run large. If you're into small lines, you definitely want an XF--it'll write more like an MF (Medium Fine).

If you want some thing more rugged but still minimalist, why not go with a Rotring 600?

Btw, I wrote a shootout comparison review of the 600 vs. Vista, if you're interested.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

This is great feedback! Thanks for that, all. I'd feel terrible if I ruined a vintage Shaeffer or Parker--maybe that will be the pen that writes a dissertation :headsmack:?! Right now I'm leaning toward the L2K based on recommendations here and in other reviews and threads. I'm certainly still open to other suggestions and I'll gladly check out the Rotring shoot-out. Unfortunately the local shop doesn't carry the 2000 (and if they did, I'd imagine it would sell at full MSRP) so I can't test drive the "ears" that have caused so much concern...

If the only fault you can find with the Al-Star is its material, then by all means go with a Safari or Vista; they're the same in plastic. Unfortunately that's all the advice I can give you; I'm still really green as far as fountain pens go...

On another note, am I the only one here who has and uses an Al-Star that still doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it? :unsure: :blink: Granted, I've only had it for a month, and haven't been using it as much as I'd like, but still...

I have only had mine a week or so - so I really shouldn't respond. But I'm pretty abusive with certain pens (my VPs must hate me but they still look great) and so far no dings, scratches, etc. However, I'm housebound for the most so I'm not exactly tossing this in a briefcase and banging it around every day.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Conclusion and Overall Impressions

In general I like the way my Lamy Al-Star extra-fine writes. My biggest complaint is that the aluminum body is too soft and has picked up far too many nicks and dings in three weeks of use. I will probably keep this pen around and use it to grade student papers in the Fall, perhaps with the PR Avacado ink. If I knew three weeks ago what I know now, I would have opted for a less expensive plastic Lamy Safari that would have delivered the same writing experience and been less susceptible to my abuse.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you have problem with yours. Small question what do you do to yours? I had mine for close to 3 months now and except for a small ding on the cap, caused by a 4 feet high fall on ceramic, the finish is still spendid with no scratches.

If your looking for a modern pen that holds a bunch of ink (relatively speaking), is comfortable, and will write nicely (in my experience) with the Noodlers Bulletproof line I'd suggest going for a Pelikan M600. It's a nice size to hold onto, holds a decent amount of ink. If you get it in a fine or extra-fine you'll be writing lots of pages no problem. That would be on the high side of your budget though. I believe martiniauctions has them going for between 200-250 right now.

On the middle end I'd say a Lamy 2000 would be nice. You can get them from Pam Braun @oscarbraunpens.com Good service, happy customer, no affiliation needed.

I second the Lamy 2000 suggestion but if you scratches and ding your AL-start that easily I'm not sure getting a Pelikan would be a good idea...

But aren't both the Safari and the Vista much lighter than the AL-star?

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Ok I am going to add a bit of a curve ball here but I would suggest that you look at the Cleo Skribent Chiffre 2000. The one I was given for my birthday has quickly become one of my workhorse pens. It has a very good ink capacity a brushed silver finish that shows only one mark after kicking around for over a month. The mark cam as the clip was obviously pushed back and forth at some point and it left a small mark. The pen writes with a nice medium flow, no skipping, no starting problems and I daresay would look good next to a Mac.

It is not that expensive so you might want to consider it as well

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com

I'm sorry to hear you have problem with yours. Small question what do you do to yours? I had mine for close to 3 months now and except for a small ding on the cap, caused by a 4 feet high fall on ceramic, the finish is still spendid with no scratches.

It did go on a backcountry trip in the rugged redrock country of southern Utah and down the San Juan River on a river trip, but was mostly tucked inside my field journal or backpack for most of the duration. I actually noticed the dinging and scratching picking up more once I started hitting the library after I got back. Full contact research, I suppose... It is a pocket pen, so I guess the culprit is my keys...?

I second the Lamy 2000 suggestion but if you scratches and ding your AL-start that easily I'm not sure getting a Pelikan would be a good idea...

Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up!

But aren't both the Safari and the Vista much lighter than the AL-star?

My thoughts, too. I'm afraid the Vista would get scratched up pretty badly, too... maybe even cracked. I know clear plastic can tend to be brittle or prone to show cracking/stress lines.

...I would suggest that you look at the Cleo Skribent Chiffre 2000. The one I was given for my birthday has quickly become one of my workhorse pens. It has a very good ink capacity a brushed silver finish that shows only one mark after kicking around for over a month...

ooooh....shiiiiny... Looks like it might be a fingerprint magnet, at least for me. I guess based on what I wrote above to JFT, I'm pretty rough on my pens, or at least am looking for an active-bodied pen to keep up with my less than careful treatment. Isn't a pen a tool, after all? When you say "kicking around, how kicking is kicking? I'd hate to see a big ol' scratch on one of those suckers...

I have three, and they're all completely unscathed. When I read about people with scratched and dented AL-stars I think, wow, some people must be really rough with their pens. My pens get much use but no abuse.

Doug

P.S. I have a Vista also, but don't think of it as more hardy than the AL-star. I'm thinking clear plastic would show scratches pretty quickly. I think a Safari in charcoal (or whatever the name of the rough textured black plastic) would be best.

Keys! That's got to be it. Yeah, definitely never put a prized pen in a pocket with other metal objects, unless you like a dimpled patina. :lol:

I'm glad to hear a few testimonies of people having unscratched and undented Al-Stars that they use. I'm thinking that those who have reported having noticeable signs of use were probably just expecting the aluminum bodies to hold up better and exposed them to rough conditions.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

When I read about people with scratched and dented AL-stars I think, wow, some people must be really rough with their pens.

One of my AL-Stars has its fair share of scratches and abrasions, and a major dent in the cap -- but then again, it's been my main (and only) pen for 5 years at university, and beyond; and the dent was made when my bag was caught in a closing subway door, so I guess that's alright...

I prefer to think of these as marks of a long and productive pen-life, rather than as faults.

It is a pocket pen, so I guess the culprit is my keys...?

Very probably, yes. Keys will scratch just about anything...

I have the same pen, the same color, and I agree it scratches and dings pretty fast. No abuse, here, but hey, a small fall happens sometimes. ABS many be better after all.

After taking up your advice and scanning the boards, I think I'm going to order a Pelikan 215 (blue/black) with an XF nib from Richard Binder. It doesn't appear to be much different than the 600 other than the nib and a slight size difference (and price!). A few months ago I was eyeing the 2000, but the looks just aren't doing anything for me now. Of COURSE I'll be getting a pen case for the Pel and NOT let it play with my keys and spare change... I think you all have infected me, because I'm already lusting after an 800 and 625...

These birds really are social so make sure you get a pen case for more than one ;)

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

I have a Vista also, but don't think of it as more hardy than the AL-star. I'm thinking clear plastic would show scratches pretty quickly. I think a Safari in charcoal (or whatever the name of the rough textured black plastic) would be best.

I agree w/ HDoug. Don't get me wrong, I love the Vista, but it seems like the Safari is made w/ sturdier plastic. The clear plastic probably wouldn't break considering the light to moderate abuse I put mine though, but if looks are what you want, go with the darker matte finished Safari.

Brandon, reading your comments through the thread, it seems as though you are conflicted about wanting something tough that you can throw in your pocket, and something a bit more refined, hence the reference to the Pel 200. It may be that you hang on to your L-allstar and just let it become more and more beat up....since you already like the functionality, and then have what amounts to a "desk pen" to use at home.

OR, you could look at the Japanese stainless short/long pens. Pilot, Platinum and Sailor all made various models through the 70's, most with very fine lines, smooth nibs and adequate ink capacity. You could stick one of these into your pocket with keys and all you'd ever get was some minor scratching [which you could buff out with an eraser if you were overcome by OCD] These are quite reasonable, well within your budget and very tough/reliable. I've got one that was closed in a door and bashed about quite dreadfully, but it still writes a smooth fine line. MYU did reviews on these recently, and he might add an suggestion to two. I'd look at Kamakura pens and Tokyo Russ as sellers on the Bay. There are others, but these two are the best.

Just a thought.

Jim

After taking up your advice and scanning the boards, I think I'm going to order a Pelikan 215 (blue/black) with an XF nib from Richard Binder. It doesn't appear to be much different than the 600 other than the nib and a slight size difference (and price!). A few months ago I was eyeing the 2000, but the looks just aren't doing anything for me now. Of COURSE I'll be getting a pen case for the Pel and NOT let it play with my keys and spare change... I think you all have infected me, because I'm already lusting after an 800 and 625...

late reply... anyway, I ended up ordering an M215 myself after trying a friend's one. You'll really need a pen case, that's mandatory, Pelikans are dependable writers (I still write with my unrestored M140, 60 years old) but the finish is magnific and glossy but prone to damage if abused. Ink capacity is good and the piston filler a dream. Nib is smooth and consistent, a true writer. If properly cased when not writing, judging from the M140 I'm looking at now, I suppose those Pelikan pens will easily outlast me.