Aurora Historical Archives - Black + Satin Chrome

savarez

Since the Aurora Historical Archives collection was announced, I've been wanting one of these pens. Fortunately, the one that appealed to me was the cheapest one of the bunch! The pen is about the size of a Parker 51 Demi. It's not shiny. It doesn't scream fashion. It has no bling. It is a classic, well-conceived pen.

The pen came in a lovely presentation box with a sepia graphic. The box contained a smaller box for the pen, a small, vintage style bottle of Aurora ink and a Certificate of Authenticity stating

This certificate attests to the authenticity of this collection pen, coming from Aurora's HISTORICAL ARCHIVES and dating back to the original period of production.

It is unclear to me if these pens are NOS that have been repackaged, or if the components are from the 1950's and the pens are newly manufactured.

I use XF-XXF nibs almost exclusively, and I was concerned about the width of the "M" nib, so I special-ordered mine from John Mottishaw at Nibs.com and had John resize the nib to a 0.3mm XF, rather than ordering through a less-expensive source and then having to put the pen in a six-month queue to get resized.

The pen is an aerometric filler, and the filling mechanism looks nearly identical to my 51.

I haven't inked it yet, but I'll post a follow-up once I have the chance to take this pen for a test drive!

I apologize for the poor quality of these pics, but my camera-phone is more phone than camera.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0028.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0029.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0031.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0032.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0033.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/aurora/IMG_0035.jpg

- Michael

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• savarez

• Ondina

• Orval

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been confused as to the origins of these pens as well, Michael. I am intrigued by them, though, and the one you chose is probably one of two that I might have. I don't care for the gold versions, and I love the Lamy 2000 like simplicity of this pen (which still shows up nicely in your camera photos).

Please post more pictures and information when you can.

Thanks for the review.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I've been confused as to the origins of these pens as well, Michael. I am intrigued by them, though, and the one you chose is probably one of two that I might have. I don't care for the gold versions, and I love the Lamy 2000 like simplicity of this pen (which still shows up nicely in your camera photos).

Please post more pictures and information when you can.

Thanks for the review.

I got the exact same pen recently. LIke you said, it looks ordinary but I think it writes beautifully ( I always ink my pens when I get it). My only concern might be the fact that it doesn't hold a lot of ink (or does it?). The M nib is also deceiving as it's really a F to me.

Maybe I should also submit a review soon! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the review! If one appreciates Aurora history, these are truly fascinating pens.

Is this the Model 011? If so, it looks different (barrel and cap finish) from some of the photos I've seen online.

Cheers,

Jon

Hey Jon,

The box is marked on the side with "12 | Archivi Storici Vintage".

-m

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

Nice review of an interesting pen that had some anticipation leading up to its release. If you like FPs from the 1960s and 70s this is very much like the Lamy 2000 and MB 22? models that had a brushed finish on the cap and barrel, and hooded nibs. I hope you will get to post a handwritting example of something that might have come from that era. BTW, the photos from your camera phone are not bad!

Savarez,

Thanks so much for the info. My only exposure to this range was on the Novelli site, and the 012 doesn't seem to be represented there (or it could simply be sold out).

Definitely very interested in these pens; I've investigated vintage 88s off and on over the years, but I've never felt comfortable enough to take the plunge.

(And I have a sneaking suspicion there might be an 022 piston version waiting for me under the tree this year...!)

Cheers,

Jon

a picture of the 022 Archivi storici piston filler and two old 98 cartridge fillers

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

It is unclear to me if these pens are NOS that have been repackaged, or if the components are from the 1950's and the pens are newly manufactured.

I remember reading that these are new pen using NOS component recently re-descovered in the Aurora facilities.

The pen is an aerometric filler, and the filling mechanism looks nearly identical to my 51.

Are you sure the areometric filler is not a converter? Originally this size of 98 carried only cartridges and converters... did they lock an aero filler in it?

I apologize for the poor quality of these pics, but my camera-phone is more phone than camera.

- Michael

Pictures are fine! Everything is clearly visible.

If you happen to like this pen, take a look to the Italian ebay. Old 98 are pretty frequent. I got a decently conserved one for 20€ six months ago...

Thank you for your review,

Best. Andrea

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

a picture of the 022 Archivi storici piston filler and two old 98 cartridge fillers

nice picture, i also have the 022.

there are two small holes on the barrel and the cap,

a letter "M" engraved on the section,

the section seems made of hard rubber,

and the barrel has trace smell of camphor (?).

they should have include more information in the package, e.g. filling instruction, a booklet about this collection, ...

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/kmpn/pen/aurora/022/cfd48ef8.jpg

Edited by kmpn

you can find the two air holes in all Aurora 88. The letter indicates the nib size medium. My pen came with a archivi storici catalogue.

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

• 5 months later...

If there's an aerometric version, how much of these pens can be made of NOS parts? Maybe just the nib and feed?

Anyone try to take one of the piston filler versions apart?

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Aaron, I just got one, but I don't think I'll be taking it apart anytime soon.

If there's an aerometric version, how much of these pens can be made of NOS parts? Maybe just the nib and feed?

Anyone try to take one of the piston filler versions apart?

How do you like that one, Bong? :)

adair- like any aurora; not too wet, nor to dry, and with quite a bit of feedback/texture. Less than one the one modern Aurora nib I have though, but maybe that's because the vintage ones have been smoothed out with use. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I have the same piston filler as kmpn since 3 months. The section is the same material as the body and seems similar to the Makrolon of the Lamy 2000, except the cap that is metallic. I don't smell any campher, so I don't think it is HR. The cap closes with friction of the cap on a metal clutch ring between section and body. This system seems to me far superior than the 3 ears of the Lamy 2000 (I'm not speaking of the esthetics). The window is as stealth but much more practical to check the ink level than the L2K. I mean 1 glimp is enough instead of 5.

Although they seem very similar in shape, I have a better grip on this Aurora than on the L2K and it feels more comfortable for me. The clip is not spring loaded as the L2K, but is tighter and more secure. Everything on this pen feels as well made and strong.

The 14K gold nib is excellent and is finer than even the XF of my Lamy. The nib is stiff and has not the springness of the Lamy. I filled it first with the Aurora black and it wrote too dry.... I tried Pelikan brilliant black and it writes like a charm (I had exactly the same experience with my Pilot VP and don't know why my experience is in opposition to most of you FPN-friends). It never skipped. It is an excellent writer, smooth as the L2K that needs a much wetter line to be as smooth.

The ink capacity is huge, much more than the Lamy and even more than my Pelikan M800. It seems to write forever.

The piston filling is easy. The piston knob has no jewel but a screw. That screw unscrewed itself one time in my pocket. Luckily I found all the llttle parts in my pocket and could screw them back into place more firmly myself. That is the only caveat of one of my best pens.

This is a real pen, I mean an authentic instrument out of the time when they made these just for good and easy writing. :cloud9:

Orval

Hmm, never seen one of these, what do they go for, they look rather nice?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• 1 year later...

I've had the fortune to test this pen yesterday, an Italian friend had it with him (originally it was his father's pen, from the University years). What a surprise and delight, makrolon body, metal cap, and a semiflexible hooded nib from the 50's in it.......His was the aerometric latest version, and works like a Parker 51 Aero. But with a softer nib. I am surprised the Archivi Storichi do not get more relevance among colectors, essencially it's a vintage pen without any of the drawbacks.