Cross ATX Claret Red

DeaconKC

Well, I got this pen a few weeks ago on a very low-ball ebay bid. Mostly because of wanting an American Company pen and the ATX had the reputation for being a reliable writer.

Okay, here's my purely subjective and biased ratings:

1. First impressions: 10/10

When it arrived, I ripped open the box and was taken aback. It was a PRETTY pen! I have never been anything to look at, closer to John Candy than Tom Selleck, so I didn't know if I would even be allowed by the FP community to own, much less use such a pen.

2. Appearance and finish: 9/10

Rich burgundy color with rose gold colored accents make this a very attractive pen. A metal body and converter give it a substantial feel and it is a full sized [bodied?] pen. Extremely well finished and the colors complement each other well. Possibly leaning more to the distaff side of pendom, but I like it.

3. Design/size/weight: 8/10

This is purely subjective as I generally like a larger, weightier pen. I have large hands and it is quite comfortable to me unposted, but posted it feels delicious and well balanced to me. I believe unposted it would fit someone with even very small hands well.

4. Nib and performance: 9/10

It has a fine nib on it that lays down a very nice line. The only other pen I have with as good a nib is my Pelikan 150. I washed it and the converter out and filled it with Blue Quink, wow, immediately wrote smoothly and no skipping or hesitating. It absolutely loves Sheaffer Slovenian Black!

5. Filling system: 7/10

It uses either a converter or cartridges. The converter worked perfectly from the start and even after sitting for a day or two, will start right up.

6. Cost/value: 10/10

I got this pen for $25.00 US. This is an incredible value. The only way it could be better is if it were a piston filler!

7. Overall opinion: 9/10

This is a very smooth writing pen that gives a very elegant and tactile feel even with a smooth nib. Extremely un-fussy, it likes every ink that has gone through it and couldn't care less what kind of paper it is writing on. It is also surprisingly robust, standing up to everyday use without a whimper even when banged around. The finish has shown NO wear and the cap posts very snugly. For comparison, the only other pen I own that comes close to it for a daily, real use pen is my Pelikan.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/Kevin-Andra/CrossATX003.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/Kevin-Andra/CrossATX009.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/Kevin-Andra/CrossATX006.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff303/Kevin-Andra/008.jpg

Edited by DeaconKC

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeaconKC

• satrap

• michael_s

• fishkiller

It is also surprisingly robust, standing up to everyday use without a whimper even when banged around.

Great review DeaconKC. Those of us who appreciate AT Cross products already know what you highlighted in your review - Cross pens are very well made. They LOOK well made. They FEEL well made. They PERFORM well made. There's a reason so very many people have given Cross pens as gifts (including the proverbial "bar mitzvah" gifts) - their products reflect excellent, consistent quality.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice review. Does the slick gripping section affect how you write with the ATX? Are you sure your nib is a fine width? I'd assume the 'B' on the nib indicates a broad nib width.

BTW do you really want to share your business card with us? It's quite readable in your first photo...

-Mike

Edited by michael_s

Actually on the nib, I was going by the box, so that may be an explanation for it's very smooth writing. The "slickness" I've heard some mention doesn't seem to be a problem to me. And I wear a kevlar vest everyday so I sweat a lot this time of year. As far as the business card, well, considering what I do for a living, anyone causing me problems generally doesn't like the result! :rolleyes:

Edited by DeaconKC

Wait, I am foncuzed. You have a burgundy and a claret? Can you show them side by side? Do I need more espresso?

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

As far as the business card, well, considering what I do for a living, anyone causing me problems generally doesn't like the result! :rolleyes:

Haha, I thought maybe someone on FPN might call your cell and ask you questions about your Cross :P

-Mike

Great review, Deacon! It's always nice to have more Cross exposure. I'm glad you got a great deal, too. Enjoy your gorgeous pen! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Satrap, no just one pen. I would call it burgundy, but the box says Claret, so I guess I'm wrong! :rolleyes:

Michael, I get a wrong number every once in a while and there is always a reeeeeeeeally long pause when I answer "Sex Offender Unit"........

Edited by DeaconKC

thanks for taking the time to write that great review! :thumbup: the action figure was a great touch.

you definitely have to be secure in your masculinity to use a pen this pretty. :)

i also have no problem with slickness on this pen's gripping section. i was expecting it to be slippery because of the plating, but it sits snuggly in my hand. my bahia atx (with its dull section) is actually more difficult to hold than this one.

Great review! The red one is very pretty. I have a love/hate relationship with the Cross ATX. Love the Nib/hate the grip. It's impossible to use for very long.

Hi Satrap, no just one pen. I would call it burgundy, but the box says Claret, so I guess I'm wrong! :rolleyes:

Oh, OK, I just thought I was getting bad coffee :angry: !

==============

Michael, I get a wrong number every once in a while and there is always a reeeeeeeeally long pause when I answer "Sex Offender Unit"........

=============

:ltcapd:

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

fishkiller, I found my buddy there listed as the "Street Deacon" A deacon with a shotgun and sunglasses, I couldn't resist him!

oh, yes - shadowrun! no wonder that figure looked really familiar. he's enforcing the rule of law in 6-inch scale. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nice review. Does the slick gripping section affect how you write with the ATX? Are you sure your nib is a fine width? I'd assume the 'B' on the nib indicates a broad nib width.

BTW do you really want to share your business card with us? It's quite readable in your first photo...

-Mike

I do not understand why people constantly say that the grip in front slips. It only seemed to do so when I was eating my fries at McDonalds at the same time. Other than that, the metal is not a problem, unless one has sweaty hands. Bear in mind that the ATX is a classic ATC model and it has been around for such a long time that it is definitely a proven product. I was very happy to realise that the ATC ATX's nib did not leak unlike my Lamy Vistas and Safaris.

Another unusual thing on this pen is that the metal body screws into the nib/section, which is also metal. This metal to metal fit makes for a nearly bullet proof construction.

I like the look of that too - the gold shimmer is very appealing.......

have looked at Cross a couple of times but not bitten yet - might have to have another look, thanks

Edited by calliej

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

• 3 years later...

Wow, wrote the original review almost four years ago. Since then I have added two more ATXs to the herd, and they continue to serve me on an almost daily basis. All I can say is these things are tough. They are a fantastic pen if you are in a line of work where a pen couls be easily bounced around or maybe you work in the field, etc. I love my Pelikans, but they would never stand up to the day to day environment I am in. So, I either carry these or a pen that is cheap enough that if it gets broken, I don't have to worry about it. My ATXs are actually strong enough I use them for training in Compliance Tactics.

• 1 year later...

Another unusual thing on this pen is that the metal body screws into the nib/section, which is also metal. This metal to metal fit makes for a nearly bullet proof construction.

I love this kind of attention to construction for reassuring longevity.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism